hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 278 of 391 FirstFirst ... 178228268275276277278279280281288328378 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,560 of 7801

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Today i built a multi-layered PXE boot menu with graphics to net-install a load of flavoured linuxes.
    Now, I've forgotten why i needed to but it may have something to do with resurrecting this disk array.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

About two weeks ago we installed some local storage to our hypervisors (~28 blades) with the intent of reducing stress on the NAS (OS is now on local storage). Find out today that the new disks were installed in RAID0 by mistake (striped instead of mirrored)

Of course, nobody realized until we saw I/O error reports on the console - thankfully it was still responsive so all the VM's could be migrated to a healthy one So, over the weekend the dance begins again: evacuate VM's from the hypervisor, reinstall, repeat.

Still, two weeks for an enterprise-grade SSD is a pretty shit life expectancy.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    Find out today that the new disks were installed in RAID0 by mistake

Today, i started the process that will see us migrate from a NT4/2000 era domain into the shining glory of the 2008r2-2012r2 era including such novelties as a actual fucking domain tree and fully qualified domain names. it will be glorious.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Today, i started the process that will see us migrate from a NT4/2000 era domain into the shining glory of the 2008r2-2012r2 era including such novelties as a actual fucking domain tree and fully qualified domain names. it will be glorious.
    Holy shit. A real 2000 level domain??
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    I still miss the simplicity of NT domains before AD was a thing. still amazed that they have not yet made it a simple to remove old DC's though (when i say simple i mean capable of dealing with people not following the exact steps correctly).

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

I still miss the simplicity of NT domains before AD was a thing. still amazed that they have not yet made it a simple to remove old DC's though (when i say simple i mean capable of dealing with people not following the exact steps correctly).

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

yep, the servers have been "updated" to 2008 virtualized, but everything is still on the 2000 functional level, and we cannot advance that because we still have operational NT4 boxes.

people do not realise just how FUCKING ANNOYING it is not to have reverse DNS and a single label domain, half our kit relies on NETBIOS instead DNS and it is redefining the concept of FUCKING ANNOYING sometimes.
    Last edited by Liare; October 7 2014 at 09:43:01 AM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

yep, the servers have been "updated" to 2008 virtualized, but everything is still on the 2000 functional level, and we cannot advance that because we still have operational NT4 boxes.

people do not realise just how FUCKING ANNOYING it is not to have reverse DNS and a single label domain, half our kit relies on NETBIOS instead DNS and it is redefining the concept of FUCKING ANNOYING sometimes.
    I am impressed. I thought we were doing well with our unpatched not even SP1 2003 DCs, but at least we have a 2003 level forest. we do have 3 fucking domains in it though which breaks an unbelievable numbers of tools and scripts ans shit.

I am impressed. I thought we were doing well with our unpatched not even SP1 2003 DCs, but at least we have a 2003 level forest. we do have 3 fucking domains in it though which breaks an unbelievable numbers of tools and scripts ans shit.
    ho ho ho ho, i can do even worse if i dare to break open the bag of horrors that is our test domain, not the internal IT one, but the domain used for product testing and such.

i will leave you with one lovely little gem from it, everybody including guest is domain admin.
    Viking, n.:

having to install java on a desktop to manage a shity supermicro over ipmi that won't output anything on any of it's 10 graphics cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    having to install java on a desktop to manage a shity supermicro over ipmi that won't output anything on any of it's 10 graphics cards.
    having to install windows in a VM in order to install java and be able to manage a supermicro server because ipmi just plain doesn't display any buttons under ubuntu crew checking in.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

ho ho ho ho, i can do even worse if i dare to break open the bag of horrors that is our test domain, not the internal IT one, but the domain used for product testing and such.

i will leave you with one lovely little gem from it, everybody including guest is domain admin.
    Meh its a test domain. They are horror stories to start with.

Does anyone have experience of build-your-own nearline storage? We need somewhere around 1/2 PB expandable. or at least scalable.

Looking at the moment at whitebox 48 disk SAS expander chassis, Adaptec PCIe3 cards, 48 SAS 4tb drives in 2stripe/Raid60. back 3 of these onto a DL380. Slap 2012R2 on it and knock for for tea and crumpets. Though Considering using individual (3x) DL320's for the head units.

I've done freenas whiteboxes before. Use a norco 24 bay 4u chassis with a cheap raid card and a sas expander and a supermciro motherboard.

Side note, we are testing a new anti-spam system. I need an email address to get as much spam as possible as fast as possible.

Thoughts?

spamme@linksareup.com

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Are you bads buying reference design? :Psyduck.

Does anyone have experience of build-your-own nearline storage? We need somewhere around 1/2 PB expandable. or at least scalable.

Looking at the moment at whitebox 48 disk SAS expander chassis, Adaptec PCIe3 cards, 48 SAS 4tb drives in 2stripe/Raid60. back 3 of these onto a DL380. Slap 2012R2 on it and knock for for tea and crumpets. Though Considering using individual (3x) DL320's for the head units.
    I have been looking at a way to do a redundant file storage solution (read multiple heads, multiple paths, single disk pool) for a while. I have no idea how to get 2 systems reading and writing to the same group of disks without fucking everything.

I have been looking at a way to do a redundant file storage solution (read multiple heads, multiple paths, single disk pool) for a while. I have no idea how to get 2 systems reading and writing to the same group of disks without fucking everything.
    NFS. or GPFS but that needs ninja skillz.
    NFS4 is pretty fuckin good over a dedicated 10g/9kmtu link.

Fuck Flash and fuck shitty education software made using it.

NFS. or GPFS but that needs ninja skillz.
    NFS4 is pretty fuckin good over a dedicated 10g/9kmtu link.
    The thing is that's only 1 head per disk pool though. Lose the board controlling the disks and all the data is gone.

The 'best' solution I have managed to come up with is run DRBD for block mirroring, and then run ZFS over the top of it with Pacemaker keeping one 1 node active at a time. In the event of a failed board/system the other one would pick up the IP and NFS mounts in "a short period of time" causing only a stutter to the disk access for the systems above it.

This would all be on whitebox stuff, but you end us having to buy twice as many disks than you actually need and half the hardware goes to waste.