hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 407 of 407 FirstFirst ... 307357397404405406407
Results 8,121 to 8,136 of 8136

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

The node's exploded they tell me, the RAID controller died they tell me, the box was overheating they tell me, the backplane imploded they tell me, the hosting provider has already pulled the box they tell me, need to migrate all the roles they tell me

so why can i still fucking log in to its web portal you daft cunts

rule 1: never trust your customer

Inb4 authentication is in JS (client-side), the secure portion is just magic URLs, and a proxy's still caching it... for now. Maybe some LocalStorage mixed in.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Error printing to southlab1
    I'm sure it's nothi--

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

that's one beefy fucking toner cartridge right there, unless somebody dropped the waste toner container from a older Xerox where it could get like 8kg of dust into it before claiming it's full.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

It's amusing, but also from Jan 29, 2013 according to TinEye...

Chances of whoever was in the area getting lung cancer in their future?

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Chances of whoever was in the area getting lung cancer in their future?
    shit's mostly harmless

exploding toner/ink is common enough that even the first line phone monkeys have got a procedure for handling it, including gems like

"stop whatever you're doing and do not bring hot water anywhere near this heat-activated ink"
    "what were you doing that made it explode (so we can blame you later)"
    "tell me now exactly what was damaged (so you can't inflate the claim later)"
    etc. etc.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    It's amusing, but also from Jan 29, 2013 according to TinEye...
    why do you hate fun
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

anyoen know the first thing about performance benchmarking VDI?

Performance is suspected to be shit on the VDI platform that's been implemented around me while i was looking elsewhere. It probably is so i need to prove it.
    The only benchmarking i see talks about relative benchmarking of components, or UX benchmarking via LoginVSI scripts or somesuch.

I was hoping that just running PCMark against some physical desktops then running the same program against the Virtual Desktops and comparing the scores should work, but nowhere on the interwebs can i find people doing the same thing. Not even dudes saying "Don't do this it's shit".

As an example, the PCmark10 tests open a few apps, does some openoffice calcs, loads up GIMP a few times, does some word document stuff and a bit of video conferencing.

Can you think of any good reasons why these benchmarks wouldn't apply between physical and virtual platforms ? I'm stumped.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    anyoen know the first thing about performance benchmarking VDI?

Performance is suspected to be shit on the VDI platform that's been implemented around me while i was looking elsewhere. It probably is so i need to prove it.
    The only benchmarking i see talks about relative benchmarking of components, or UX benchmarking via LoginVSI scripts or somesuch.

I was hoping that just running PCMark against some physical desktops then running the same program against the Virtual Desktops and comparing the scores should work, but nowhere on the interwebs can i find people doing the same thing. Not even dudes saying "Don't do this it's shit".

As an example, the PCmark10 tests open a few apps, does some openoffice calcs, loads up GIMP a few times, does some word document stuff and a bit of video conferencing.

Can you think of any good reasons why these benchmarks wouldn't apply between physical and virtual platforms ? I'm stumped.
    It'll work but the question is does it tell you anything you don't already know? VDI will pretty much always be slower than physical machines, but the question is by how much and when.. Whats the underlying infrastructure for your VDI? If you have access to that you can likely pull stats as to how that is doing. You might find its disk latency slowing everything down (and shuffling stuff around might fix the issue).

Realistically its the same investigation as to any complaint that something is slow... Define slow..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Realistically its the same investigation as to any complaint that something is slow... Define slow..
    At the moment, the PCMark scores for the basic workstation are slower than the PCMark scores for the shit PC's we are replacing with VDI terminals.
    At least now we have some stats and any changes can be measured against them.

surely you bench-mark VDI by unmounting the server-side components and figure out from how high up you need to drop them before they make marks in the surface of a bench?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    At the moment, the PCMark scores for the basic workstation are slower than the PCMark scores for the shit PC's we are replacing with VDI terminals.
    At least now we have some stats and any changes can be measured against them.
    Well yeah.. Like I said they will always be slower.. Performance is not the reason you run vdi. Question is, by how much. Are they running out of RAM on normal workloads? Touching the disk to swap is going to tank performance of anything virtual.. Are they running in a public cloud? I know not running aws workspaces via the client makes them suck the big one, and the client can have issues too..

Well yeah.. Like I said they will always be slower..
    new VDI boxes running slower than 5 year old PC's. Hmm.

Not a lot's changed for PCs in 5 years, other than this year's significantly multi-core CPUs. RAM prices haven't fallen overall iirc, ofc GPUs got faster but I doubt that was a bottleneck for 2D office work before.
    SSD vs no SSD is the biggest change by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Not a lot's changed for PCs in 5 years, other than this year's significantly multi-core CPUs. RAM prices haven't fallen overall iirc, ofc GPUs got faster but I doubt that was a bottleneck for 2D office work before.
    SSD vs no SSD is the biggest change by far.
    You are also running how many VDIs per host? All of that has to time slice up.. Server CPUs aren't really any faster than desktop CPUs for most things, they just generally have a lot more cores.

Having said that, you really shouldn't be getting a noticeable difference in performance for 90% of desktop apps as even on a physical box, the CPU will be doing next to nothing for most of the time. Thats why I said you need to quantify 'slow'.. Do you know anything about the infrastructure its sitting on?