hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 388 of 397 FirstFirst ... 288338378385386387388389390391 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,760 of 7925

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    My hosting company just informed me- in no uncertain words, that one of my (private) servers is part of a DDoS attack and that they will shut it down (and keep it that way), if I don't swiftly remedy that situation.

Turns out I had my DNS server configured as an open relay (don't ask, I have no idea)... I blame, well ... me
    That is similar to how I just gave up on Linode after half a decade hosting my rtorrent project there.

My mailing list's email server or something got exploited and used as a relay, then the Linode people decided to contact me by sending me a private message that I could only see if I logged on to their website. Not a single email sent, and since I didn't reply for weeks since why the fuck would I know, they cut my node from the net and decided to be assholes about what I needed to do to get it back.

So yeah, assume your customer is psychic and then blame them for not fixing an issue that they obviously should have known about because the customer should be psychic.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    My hosting company just informed me- in no uncertain words, that one of my (private) servers is part of a DDoS attack and that they will shut it down (and keep it that way), if I don't swiftly remedy that situation.

Turns out I had my DNS server configured as an open relay (don't ask, I have no idea)... I blame, well ... me
    That is similar to how I just gave up on Linode after half a decade hosting my rtorrent project there.

My mailing list's email server or something got exploited and used as a relay, then the Linode people decided to contact me by sending me a private message that I could only see if I logged on to their website. Not a single email sent, and since I didn't reply for weeks since why the fuck would I know, they cut my node from the net and decided to be assholes about what I needed to do to get it back.

So yeah, assume your customer is psychic and then blame them for not fixing an issue that they obviously should have known about because the customer should be psychic.
    That's kind of fucky. They have the ability to send you a PM, but that doesn't translate to an actual email? Won't be using them in a hurry.
    meh

Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    That's kind of fucky. They have the ability to send you a PM, but that doesn't translate to an actual email? Won't be using them in a hurry.
    Yeah, they used to be really good since the start and then suddenly they went full retard.

When I finally realized what was happening I replied and told them I'll fix the issue just give me access again... which was late evening Japanese time... and the next day while at work I tried to deal with it turns out they'd already cut the node off again. Kept an open relay node running for several weeks without sending an email yet close it off after a few hours while the customer is sleeping, then blame the customer again.

Decided not to waste time and switched to AWS.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Yeah, they used to be really good since the start and then suddenly they went full retard.

When I finally realized what was happening I replied and told them I'll fix the issue just give me access again... which was late evening Japanese time... and the next day while at work I tried to deal with it turns out they'd already cut the node off again. Kept an open relay node running for several weeks without sending an email yet close it off after a few hours while the customer is sleeping, then blame the customer again.

Decided not to waste time and switched to AWS.
    Yeah, I'm primarily GCE these days. AWS storage is slightly cheaper, but I find GCE better for actual instance time and network. Much more developer friendly tool set as well.
    meh

Win10 pro image has been deployed on to 1 desktop and 1 laptop. We have been told we have 2 days to look at it before it goes to a pilot group of 20 people with full deployment starting next week.

Project manager was promptly told we aren't looking at dick without time on the project because we all have other work we are supposed to be doing.

I also noticed they put all the machines in my test OU that has inheritance blocked (and a GPO that's not going to work), so this is going to go well.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Sometimes you just have to put all of your masters in a room together and see which one wins.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Project manager is rolling out to test group Monday despite being told the new win10 boxes don't map the drives properly (or at all). Fun will be had I'm sure.

There's a MS patch from last year that prevents GPOs for mapped drives being applied on clients due to how the GPO is created. A similar thing happens with printer mappings. Maybe that's the problem?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-june-14,-2016

tl;dr
    Symptoms
    All user Group Policy, including those that have been security filtered on user accounts or security groups, or both, may fail to apply on domain joined computers.

Cause
    This issue may occur if the Group Policy Object is missing the Read permissions for the Authenticated Users group or if you are using security filtering and are missing Read permissions for the domain computers group.

Resolution

To resolve this issue, use the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC.MSC) and follow one of the following steps:

- Add the Authenticated Users group with Read Permissions on the Group Policy Object (GPO).
    - If you are using security filtering, add the Domain Computers group with read permission.

Already know about that one but that's not it.. It would be the GPO blocking mentioned above, but for some reason they seem to think it's the AV. I'm not going to mention anything because I hate this client and also the project manager, so they can waste time chasing nothing.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...ng-powershell/

I'm insisting on doing this natively for a client so they can see if some old folders can be deleted by checking if they were merged into some other directories but windows is being an absolute shitter about file path/name exceeding the character limit. Why is this even a thing? Apparently there's a hotfix for server 2008 R2 that fixes this but I don't think it fixes the ps compare-object applet as I applied the hotfix but it made no difference

EDIT: wtf am I doing I ran it with no pipe to save the output so the result just spilled over the vertical buffer of the window
    Last edited by 56k Lagman; March 16 2017 at 05:18:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...ng-powershell/

I'm insisting on doing this natively for a client so they can see if some old folders can be deleted by checking if they were merged into some other directories but windows is being an absolute shitter about file path/name exceeding the character limit. Why is this even a thing? Apparently there's a hotfix for server 2008 R2 that fixes this but I don't think it fixes the ps compare-object applet as I applied the hotfix but it made no difference

EDIT: wtf am I doing I ran it with no pipe to save the output so the result just spilled over the vertical buffer of the window
    This is why most internet scale places don't take windows seriously as a server platform.
    meh

I have a dotnet dll you can load in to powershell to replace the file commands that doesn't have the path size restriction.. Stupidly is windows that has the restriction, not ntfs. Ntfs is actually pretty good and can do a bunch of stuff windows never uses.

If I can ever find the thing again I'll post a link.

Best thing about powershell is the ability to load dotnet assemblies directly in to it like a real program. It's also one of the most confusing things to do..

First weekend on call with the new company, so far I've put in 6 hours of work between Friday afternoon and now Sunday morning. I am beyond furious at this point.

I had shit to deal with on Friday night around midnight, then again Saturday from 4am-6am, 8am, 12pm, 2pm,3pm and 5pm. It was quiet from then until Sunday morning but I put the phone on silent because :fuckthis:. Checked the phone again on Sunday morning and now I've spent from 10am to 1pm working on shit and I have to call out to a clients office at 3pm.

I'm supposed to be on call until next Friday but I'm tempted to tell them to fuck off come Monday morning. The vast majority of this is services failing that are not set with self healing events in NAble. Just how fucking complacent is everyone else on call for this company??
    Last edited by 56k Lagman; March 19 2017 at 07:44:42 PM.

Wow ..
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Bah.. Monitoring at our place sucks and no one wants to take ownership on fixing it (or actively blocks people from fixing it). It's a combination of the following :

- monitoring is done on a per machine basis. Any alarm at all on that machine is treated as the same priority.

- monitoring can raise a high priority incident without human interaction.

- monitoring is not cluster or service aware.

- ops managers are risk adverse and would prefer to wake up a tech with 50 false alarms than fix it and risk missing a critical alarm.

- monitoring is not context aware and can't close our prevent a ticket from waking someone up even if it stopped being an issue seconds later.

This leads to the hilarity of getting a call at 2am for an app pool on a single web server recycling despite the being no outage because it's clustered, and it also fixing is self because it recycled, and no one is willing to stop it generating calls because there is no way to tell if it crashed or did what it was supposed to be doing.

Again, even if it would have crashed, no outage because it was clustered.

Well that's retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Well that's retarded.
    I'm well aware of how retarded it is.. The only up side is there appears to be literally no consequence to telling service desk (who are the people that call us) to downgrade the alert without even getting out of bed. The 4 or 5 times someone (not me) has told them to downgrade a legitimate alert and we had a massive outage the next day because of it, no one even got questioned.

I got woken up so many times one week for SQL servers using 95% of their RAM (you know, that thing they pretty much always do because databases running in RAM are way faster then ones running on disk) that I had to take days off 'sick' so I could catch up on sleep.

I have also had a discussion with 2 different ops manages who complained that their on call costs were too high. Presented them both a list of at least 40 calls in the last month that were either not causing an outage (so could have waited till business hours) or cleared up before the operator logged in (which we still charge for). In both cases nothing came from it and the same ops managed complained again the next month that his on call costs were high.

Well that's retarded.
    Right?

Lana: Signal to Noise. Bad signal to noise makes ops guys lethargic and apathetic. This is pretty well established industrial psychology.

Service oriented monitoring and KPI is part of ITIL for a reason. They simply can't call themselves ITIL if they don't implement it.

I have no idea whether they call themselves ITIL, but this is how I get people to spend money on things that make my job easier. It sounds like your managers are pretty terrible if they don't think trying to get the least amount of work for their dudes in a clever way isn't the right way to do this, I just don't get this way of doing it. I guess you've mentioned this before.
    meh

Well that's retarded.
    Right?

Lana: Signal to Noise. Bad signal to noise makes ops guys lethargic and apathetic. This is pretty well established industrial psychology.

Service oriented monitoring and KPI is part of ITIL for a reason. They simply can't call themselves ITIL if they don't implement it.

I have no idea whether they call themselves ITIL, but this is how I get people to spend money on things that make my job easier. It sounds like your managers are pretty terrible if they don't think trying to get the least amount of work for their dudes in a clever way isn't the right way to do this, I just don't get this way of doing it. I guess you've mentioned this before.
    You want to know how terrible? We literally built them a replacement monitoring system for free that monitors actual services and gives us the info we need with next to no noise (there is always a bit) and they shut it down 'because its not the company standard'. This was 3 years ago mind. I've had almost 4 years of this mentality now and they wonder why I have stopped giving a shit, because I really have stopped giving a shit.

On the up side, its a lot easier when you don't care if you are doing a good job or not. I mean I die a little inside each day but whatever, we are all dieing.

Moving from an ITIL certified help desk to a small MSP that has probably never heard of ITIL legit sucks. I miss ITIL