hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 431 of 431 FirstFirst ... 331381421428429430431
Results 8,601 to 8,620 of 8620

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

  1. #8601
    Tailn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    To close to London
    Posts
    5,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Any one interested or know anyone interested in a tech support job 25k - 30k (at least 5+ years experience in directly applicable roles more if not) able to solo MS server (2008 - 2019) crisis and handle a multisite multi subnet +VLAN network plus O365 and Hyper-v and a few other things like document management system etc.
    Small engineering consultant company (~100 staff may have another growth spurt when assimilation is done) mid Bucks 1 member of IT atm (me!). Plenty of noddy work, laptop builds new users, user hand holding during major issues like Outlook visual updates making it look strange or emails not showing on mobile phone. On the flip side plenty of fun jobs, network was in a right state when I took over and thanks to 100% growth in 2 years is not much better other than a 1.5 years work on the essentials VOIP, Virtualisation network overhaul (not completed).
    Is this a posting for your own job? Because 30k Brexit rubles sounds like a pittance for what you're asking.
    I don't know what you think IT support folks get paid unless you are a specialist LAN/WAN, Senior Sys Admin, DBa etc. or end up in central London working in Finance thats pretty much where it is at, of course there is always the top of the pile who get head hunted for serious money but for the rest of us the only options for much more are shift work or oncall payments (goodbye regular sleep).

    Though please prove me wrong and if you have proofs i can take to the boss that would be great

    Just incase you think I am suggesting that I expect people to decipher memory dumps with a glance or spot network intrusion by watching wireshark nope. Just some one who is capable of dealing with a shit day with out a bunch of 3rd line specialists holding their hands, I would like to be able to take a holiday out of contact and not find a smoking ruin when I return. To be honest any one who cant do that has no right thinking of themselves as support technician.

    "Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

  2. #8602
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    10,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Though please prove me wrong and if you have proofs i can take to the boss that would be great
    Indeed.com says:
    How much does an IT Support make in Minneapolis, MN?
    The average salary for an IT Support is $21.31 per hour in Minneapolis, MN, which is 10% above the national average. Salary estimates are based on 22 salaries submitted anonymously to Indeed by IT Support employees, users, and collected from past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months. The typical tenure for an IT Support is 1-3 years.
    Other US financial hubs:
    The average salary for an IT Support is $58,119 per year in Chicago, IL
    The average salary for an IT Support is $65,176 per year in Brooklyn, NY
    The average salary for an IT Support is $27.49 per hour in Queens, NY
    The average salary for an IT Support is $62,294 per year in Washington, DC
    The average salary for an IT Support is $31.34 per hour in San Francisco, CA
    The average salary for a Senior IT Support is $62,363 per year in the United States.
    The average salary for a Systems Administrator is $82,527 per year in the United States.
    The average salary for a Network Administrator is $66,549 per year in the United States.
    Now, if you were just looking for a Help Desk person, then 25k-30k would be more reasonable. Even then:
    The average salary for a Help Desk Analyst is $18.41 per hour in the United States.
    Last edited by Nordstern; July 27 2019 at 02:33:06 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  3. #8603
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,620
    You can't compare directly, when USians have to fund their own healthcare, personal security, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  4. #8604

    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    2,651
    My starting salary as a junior dev in 2006 was 24k, offering below that (after inflation) for somebody with 5 years experience seems...low.

  5. #8605
    Tailn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    To close to London
    Posts
    5,080
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    My starting salary as a junior dev in 2006 was 24k, offering below that (after inflation) for somebody with 5 years experience seems...low.
    Dev not Support tends to be that devs have a 50% higher wage, consider starting salaries for support is ~16k-18k (helpdesk with out experience).

    And what Daneel says UK and US wages for IT are completely uncomparable not excluding benefits, cost of living and tax differences, there is a much much smaller wage gap here as well.

    "Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

  6. #8606
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    You can't compare directly, when USians have to fund their own healthcare, personal security, etc...
    Most people working regular jobs with competitive companies have almost no or negligible health costs. If you are trying to buy the cheapest healthcare possible and/or get sick without healthcare is where most of the horrorstories come from. If you are a dev or in IT and even remotely competent, you should have a gold+ health plan, which while costly to your employer, costs minimal to you.

    No. The reality is IT is straight up paid more over here, for the most part.

    Personal security. lol.
    meh

  7. #8607
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,734
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    You can't compare directly, when USians have to fund their own healthcare, personal security, etc...
    Most people working regular jobs with competitive companies have almost no or negligible health costs. If you are trying to buy the cheapest healthcare possible and/or get sick without healthcare is where most of the horrorstories come from. If you are a dev or in IT and even remotely competent, you should have a gold+ health plan, which while costly to your employer, costs minimal to you.

    No. The reality is IT is straight up paid more over here, for the most part.

    Personal security. lol.
    Gotta get that M14 collection going eh
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  8. #8608
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    2,861
    European tech workers really do get paid pennies compared to Americans. You can expect double the starting salary as an American and it only continues to curve up from there. That outstrips any cost from rent or health insurance

    Imagine asking people to be a senior DBA so they can make more than 30k/yr...

  9. #8609
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    19,651
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    European tech workers really do get paid pennies compared to Americans. You can expect double the starting salary as an American and it only continues to curve up from there. That outstrips any cost from rent or health insurance

    Imagine asking people to be a senior DBA so they can make more than 30k/yr...
    That's because tech workers in europe are employed by boomers who have no idea how inflation works and don't value much done by the younger generation.

    I reckon it is because in Europe tech workers are typically employed by well established, old fashioned owner managed companies whereas in America the tech employers are VC backed high growth businesses with a ton of (not their own) money to throw at their tech projects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  10. #8610

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Dev not Support tends to be that devs have a 50% higher wage, consider starting salaries for support is ~16k-18k (helpdesk with out experience).
    Someone with 5 years experience and expected to be hands-on/unsupervised competent with:
    * MS Server spanning over a decade's worth of versions
    * Multi-site deployments
    * Complex network topologies
    * O365
    * Hyper-V
    * Desktop builds
    * Document management

    is not a helpdesk drone. If you're rocking that many skills you could be legitimately out on the contractor market for 3-400 per day. 25-30kpa is an insult. That's what new graduates fresh off the university production line get paid, not skilled techies. Pay shit, get shit.

  11. #8611

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I reckon it is because in Europe tech workers are typically employed by well established, old fashioned owner managed companies ...
    Or go work for a bank or consultancy or actual tech company or as a contractor and go get paid real cash. Working in-house for non-tech firms as a techie is a mugs game. You'll be stuck in the cupboard imaging laptops for the next 20 years getting paid fucking peanuts.

    However don't be fooled by Erich's bluster. There's plenty of that latter kind of stuff in the US as well, especially outside the major metros.

  12. #8612
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,425
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    You can't compare directly, when USians have to fund their own healthcare, personal security, etc...
    Most people working regular jobs with competitive companies have almost no or negligible health costs. If you are trying to buy the cheapest healthcare possible and/or get sick without healthcare is where most of the horrorstories come from. If you are a dev or in IT and even remotely competent, you should have a gold+ health plan, which while costly to your employer, costs minimal to you.

    No. The reality is IT is straight up paid more over here, for the most part.

    Personal security. lol.
    Most jobs are paid more. All though the difference is biggest in tech. For mech engineer you need a good company in Germany to match average in the states (according to indeed.com)


    

  13. #8613
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    19,651
    Engineering generally in the UK is pretty badly paid at the moment because everyone got told to do it at uni and flooded the market with graduates. Doesn't help that guys at the top aren't retiring as early and freeing up slots for career progression. I'm glad I ducked out of the industry early on, most people I went to uni with seem to be having a fairly shit time in terms of work/life balance and career progression.

    Probably doesn't help that the economy is about to get fucked as well though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  14. #8614
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,847
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I reckon it is because in Europe tech workers are typically employed by well established, old fashioned owner managed companies ...
    Or go work for a bank or consultancy or actual tech company or as a contractor and go get paid real cash. Working in-house for non-tech firms as a techie is a mugs game. You'll be stuck in the cupboard imaging laptops for the next 20 years getting paid fucking peanuts.

    However don't be fooled by Erich's bluster. There's plenty of that latter kind of stuff in the US as well, especially outside the major metros.
    This is fair, but even then, IT Administrator, which is what I'd argue the job he's posting would be called here, generally, is a solidly middle class position. No one in Kansas City with the job title is earning the USD equivalent of 30k quid.
    meh

  15. #8615
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,620
    Fucking incompetent people expecting to handle international payment details & personal info. Will obviously end well, no chance of GDPR court cases... /rant
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  16. #8616

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    6,819
    I've been hiring a bunch of 2nd line techs here at the college group recently around that salary, and that's for 2-4 yrs experience, good customer skills, and strong 1st-2nd awareness. Knowledge of O365/VMWare is a bonus, but not absolutely necessary at that level or salary.

    I'd expect to be paying at least 32 for someone with that skillset. maybe more depending on real experience.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

  17. #8617
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    19,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Fucking incompetent people expecting to handle international payment details & personal info. Will obviously end well, no chance of GDPR court cases... /rant
    GDPR is basically unenforced and exists only as a stick to encourage large tech companies to pay some taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  18. #8618

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    GDPR is basically unenforced
    Don't bet on this.

  19. #8619
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Fucking incompetent people expecting to handle international payment details & personal info. Will obviously end well, no chance of GDPR court cases... /rant
    GDPR is basically unenforced and exists only as a stick to encourage large tech companies to pay some taxes.
    You are wrong. It exists only to make Accenture, PWC, and the boys lots of cash.
    meh

  20. #8620

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    6,819
    Hello.
    I've got a bit of a problem with ADFS and hope someone may be able to help. I have 54 user domains and a mail / resource domain synced to O365 using ADConnect. all was working swimmingly until yesterday evening when one of the 4 user domains (lets call them ABC.LAN) stopped authenticating against the ADFS servers.
    Users get the NTLM login box of doom when they try to access login.microsoftonline.com but their credentials in the from of domain\username don't work. The same account can log in across the trusts onto multiple users.
    I've been all over the problem and have discounted the network/VPNs by replicating the issue on multiple sites, Discounted machine configuration by logging into affected machines with a different domain account which works and discounted GPO's by removing / enforcing and excluding various ones.
    Even stranger, if we force the users to go to the external WAP proxy via hosts files, they can login absolutely fine. And any computer that's had outlook configured on it before will continue to function, so existing tokens are still valid, it just seems to be the creation of new tokens which fail only for members of ABC.LAN
    I'm not totally stumped. Wireshark shows kerberos traffic going to domain ABC controllers when I make the request. The header looks absolutely fine. Other logins work, just not internal ADFS from one domain only.
    Any ADFS wizards seen this sort of behaviour before and / or have bright ideas how to deal with it?
    TIA.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •