hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 378 of 407 FirstFirst ... 278328368375376377378379380381388 ... LastLast
Results 7,541 to 7,560 of 8122

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

  1. #7541

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    3,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    oh, and it's starting to drop CNAME support randomly, so you can ask the DNS server about a CNAME and get a response, then sometimes you wont get a response, despite it being viable in the DNS UI and the DNS server itself can ask itself about that CNAME just fine, while it wont answer the client.
    That sounds very similar to the issue I described here, which was the reason to disable the DNS Client service and have never looked back.

  2. #7542
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,261
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    idgi I give someone full control permissions to a specific folder on a share drive and it doesn't work, they keep getting permission errors when trying to access the folder but if I change the permissions to the whole drive instead of just the subfolders they need it works. There are no conflicting deny permissions either, idgi idgi
    Share permissions or NTFS permissions?
    NTFS permissions but the share permissions weren't conflicting

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Inherited permissions overriding whatever your'e setting ?

    Also what halbarad said
    I still don't know why but granting the permissions one folder further up fixed the problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

    phoneposting

  3. #7543
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    oh, and it's starting to drop CNAME support randomly, so you can ask the DNS server about a CNAME and get a response, then sometimes you wont get a response, despite it being viable in the DNS UI and the DNS server itself can ask itself about that CNAME just fine, while it wont answer the client.
    That sounds very similar to the issue I described here, which was the reason to disable the DNS Client service and have never looked back.
    nope, done that, it's reinstall DC time basically.

    a job im not going to be doing, but i am going to be leaving a note on the domain admin desktop (that nobody is supposed to be using, but eventually whomever gets to pick this up will see) that it's propably a bit dodgy and could do with a full-on replacement.

    because im nice like that.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  4. #7544
    Dahak's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chelyabinsk-40
    Posts
    5,369
    I ordered a laptop keyboard to replace the one acting funny on one of our machines here. It arrived today.

      Spoiler:


  5. #7545
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,261
    what is a cardboard box

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

    phoneposting

  6. #7546
    Dahak's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chelyabinsk-40
    Posts
    5,369
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    what is a cardboard box
    An object insufficient to the task at hand, apparently.

  7. #7547

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    5,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Bah.. We just spend ~$3M (AU, so about $1.50 US) doing a 1 for 1 move from our on-prem vmware to AWS. Guess what, it runs exactly the same except there is a ton of extra lag. No cost savings (we actually think it costs a bit more because of the increased amount of network traffic).

    TL;DR, I could have used that money for a new SAN...
    AWS is never, ever cheaper. Ever.

  8. #7548
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,900
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Bah.. We just spend ~$3M (AU, so about $1.50 US) doing a 1 for 1 move from our on-prem vmware to AWS. Guess what, it runs exactly the same except there is a ton of extra lag. No cost savings (we actually think it costs a bit more because of the increased amount of network traffic).

    TL;DR, I could have used that money for a new SAN...
    AWS is never, ever cheaper. Ever.
    oh yes it can be, you simply haven't looked at enough proprietary "cloud" "solutions" to realize yet.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  9. #7549
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    17,879
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Bah.. We just spend ~$3M (AU, so about $1.50 US) doing a 1 for 1 move from our on-prem vmware to AWS. Guess what, it runs exactly the same except there is a ton of extra lag. No cost savings (we actually think it costs a bit more because of the increased amount of network traffic).

    TL;DR, I could have used that money for a new SAN...
    AWS is never, ever cheaper. Ever.
    I know this.. I'm not in a position to actually stop dumb shit though.

    If it would have been done correctly we would have been in the position that we could at least scaled up as our very flexible workforce expanded.. However, it's not been done anywhere near close to that (by retarded design) so we don't even have that as an easy bonus.

    Also what is this shit about not being able to expand disks live in aws.. This is fucking 2017 and I have been able to fuck with all vm hardware live for at least the last 5 years, and now I can't even do the most basic of functions..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  10. #7550
    theBlind's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
    I ordered a laptop keyboard to replace the one acting funny on one of our machines here. It arrived today.

      Spoiler:

    Well, now the one acting funny isn't so bad after all. Problem solved.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

  11. #7551
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,900
    in today's session of "WTF?" we have a seemingly innocuous Cisco emulator (judging by the host name), that refreshes its DHCP lease (and it has two, for some reason) every 30 seconds, with a new MAC address, every fucking time.

    i will lovingly strangle the user running this piece of shit when the network weenies come back with a port number and desk number, i will go down to the desk and remove the patch cable, and then gently but forcefully strangle the life out of the offending user in full public view, then when i am done i will leave the body at the scene as a warning to any derring-do fuckwit who thinks of trying that, or running network emulation shit outside the fucking walled garden.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  12. #7552

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    3,244
    Corporations of this world, if you set up some kind of (marketing) email system, which is supposed to handle bounce automatically by perhaps removing invalid email addresses from your database, how about you make sure the domain of the Reply-To address actually has a working MX record assigned to it?

    I.e.

    1 fifa.com MX Error 9501: No records found for given DNS query.

  13. #7553
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Corporations of this world, if you set up some kind of (marketing) email system, which is supposed to handle bounce automatically by perhaps removing invalid email addresses from your database, how about you make sure the domain of the Reply-To address actually has a working MX record assigned to it?

    I.e.

    1 fifa.com MX Error 9501: No records found for given DNS query.
    but that would damage the marketing metrics!

    they are propably measured by outgoing volume, thus there is a incentive to keep bouncers in the list.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  14. #7554

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    5,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    oh yes it can be, you simply haven't looked at enough proprietary "cloud" "solutions" to realize yet.
    Oh, I have. If you're using one of those you're in such a phenomenal minority that you're as good as extinct already. Cloud only works economically if you're genuinely taking advantage of its elasticity, or if you're buying apps as a service rather than tin or basic apps.

  15. #7555
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,695
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    oh yes it can be, you simply haven't looked at enough proprietary "cloud" "solutions" to realize yet.
    Oh, I have. If you're using one of those you're in such a phenomenal minority that you're as good as extinct already. Cloud only works economically if you're genuinely taking advantage of its elasticity, or if you're buying apps as a service rather than tin or basic apps.
    That bit actually requires a bit of engineering too normally.
    meh

  16. #7556
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    17,879
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    oh yes it can be, you simply haven't looked at enough proprietary "cloud" "solutions" to realize yet.
    Oh, I have. If you're using one of those you're in such a phenomenal minority that you're as good as extinct already. Cloud only works economically if you're genuinely taking advantage of its elasticity, or if you're buying apps as a service rather than tin or basic apps.
    That bit actually requires a bit of engineering too normally.
    And literally everything to support it.. A 15 year old app that won't run as a service and requires you to log in to it on the console is not a good candidate for this..

    Literally the only app we have that was capable of being elastic was a web app the marketing team use (because it connects to a 3rd party db that gives no fucks where it's connecting from or how many times) and there aren't enough people connecting to it to trigger it to spawn a second instance... And this is with a t2.small...
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  17. #7557
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    17,879
    Oh.. Also I have either hit a win or I'm gong to get fired over this, but I'm refusing to support it until I get training.. So far it means all my access has been removed and I only have to support the OS. I'm hoping this doesn't mean I'm next out of the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  18. #7558
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Oh.. Also I have either hit a win or I'm gong to get fired over this, but I'm refusing to support it until I get training.. So far it means all my access has been removed and I only have to support the OS. I'm hoping this doesn't mean I'm next out of the door.
    This is retarded of their part. Basically bullying you into supporting something you're not fully trained to do.

    Rest assured, it happens in my field too. I'm senior enough to actually carry a middle grade bleep and I've been asked to, however if shit hits the fan properly and people die guess who's in deep shit. So I've refused consistently, albeit I've been put down for it via mockery more or less implying I'm unwilling to work.

    Fuck them. If you're fired, you wouldn't have wanted to work for them anyway, this is not acceptable practice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

  19. #7559
    theBlind's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Oh.. Also I have either hit a win or I'm gong to get fired over this, but I'm refusing to support it until I get training.. So far it means all my access has been removed and I only have to support the OS. I'm hoping this doesn't mean I'm next out of the door.
    This is retarded of their part. Basically bullying you into supporting something you're not fully trained to do.

    Rest assured, it happens in my field too. I'm senior enough to actually carry a middle grade bleep and I've been asked to, however if shit hits the fan properly and people die guess who's in deep shit. So I've refused consistently, albeit I've been put down for it via mockery more or less implying I'm unwilling to work.

    Fuck them. If you're fired, you wouldn't have wanted to work for them anyway, this is not acceptable practice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Confirming that when young and dumb I've also taken over systems I wasn't trained for and we're still carrying the workaround code for my fuckups after years. Slight fuckups, true, but more by chance than my knowledge back then. Also luckily not a system that lives depend upon.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

  20. #7560
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    17,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Oh.. Also I have either hit a win or I'm gong to get fired over this, but I'm refusing to support it until I get training.. So far it means all my access has been removed and I only have to support the OS. I'm hoping this doesn't mean I'm next out of the door.
    This is retarded of their part. Basically bullying you into supporting something you're not fully trained to do.

    Rest assured, it happens in my field too. I'm senior enough to actually carry a middle grade bleep and I've been asked to, however if shit hits the fan properly and people die guess who's in deep shit. So I've refused consistently, albeit I've been put down for it via mockery more or less implying I'm unwilling to work.

    Fuck them. If you're fired, you wouldn't have wanted to work for them anyway, this is not acceptable practice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is standard practice. I have had exactly zero training in my whole career.. Technically my only qualification is a cisco ccna which is obviously awesome knowledge for a windows admin. My whole argument has been that I'm a windows admin and AWS is not windows.. Its not even close to windows. Sure, neither is vmware, but AWS isnt vmware either.. Realistically I want the training because it'll improve my ability to get a better job in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •