hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 377 of 406 FirstFirst ... 277327367374375376377378379380387 ... LastLast
Results 7,521 to 7,540 of 8120

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I have a laptop that currently has Win7 32-bit installed. Some of the software I'd like to use requires a 64-bit system. All the hardware is 64-bit. Can I use my Win7 64-bit disc and the 32-bit key to install Win7 64-bit?
    no*.

*is it a OEM system, one of the big ones (Dell, HP and so forth) ? because if it is, and you get a OEM media that matches, then yes.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    I have a laptop that currently has Win7 32-bit installed. Some of the software I'd like to use requires a 64-bit system. All the hardware is 64-bit. Can I use my Win7 64-bit disc and the 32-bit key to install Win7 64-bit?
    no*.

*is it a OEM system, one of the big ones (Dell, HP and so forth) ? because if it is, and you get a OEM media that matches, then yes.
    It's a 5-year-old Dell XPS laptop that originally had Windows XP. Both copies of Win7 were purchased from Newegg, and I'm pretty sure they're both OEM licenses.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

It's a 5-year-old Dell XPS laptop that originally had Windows XP. Both copies of Win7 were purchased from Newegg, and I'm pretty sure they're both OEM licenses.
    Shit outta luck then mate

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    no*.

assuming it's a dell OEM media, it wont even ask for the license key it will just read off the BIOS that it's a dell boxen and install, so find one of those and then yes, you can get a 64 bit W7.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

why the fucking fuck doesn't the default fucking import of a fucking CSV file into excel read fucking commas as fucking separators.
    fucking still.
    fucksake.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    why the fucking fuck doesn't the default fucking import of a fucking CSV file into excel read fucking commas as fucking separators.
    fucking still.
    fucksake.
    Yeah it reads a tab. I make all my csv files like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

TSV? is it fucking TSV?

no. CSV. fucking shit

TSV? is it fucking TSV?

no. CSV. fucking shit
    Honestly don't think anyone in the office team knows what the c is for..

Oh yeah. Good news from the datacenter. One of the vesda tanks exploded and discharged in to the DC.

For us not a lot happened as we seem to have been far enough away from it. One of the clients had a small san sitting next to it. The explosion and subsequent gas damage destroyed 12 of the 14 disks or had. They also apparently had cards dislodge from some servers and a blade needed to be reseated.

Fun times.

idgi I give someone full control permissions to a specific folder on a share drive and it doesn't work, they keep getting permission errors when trying to access the folder but if I change the permissions to the whole drive instead of just the subfolders they need it works. There are no conflicting deny permissions either, idgi idgi

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    idgi I give someone full control permissions to a specific folder on a share drive and it doesn't work, they keep getting permission errors when trying to access the folder but if I change the permissions to the whole drive instead of just the subfolders they need it works. There are no conflicting deny permissions either, idgi idgi
    Share permissions or NTFS permissions?

Inherited permissions overriding whatever your'e setting ?

Also what halbarad said
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget

File permissions have always been an annoying mess of shit for me..

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    We had a similar situation here some time back. It came from folders being too deep on the file server but on when users map to them a little further down the tree, so when permissions are re-applied it'd stop applying them, break then never allow said user to access stuff.

2 days of fucking about with symlinks and powershell to fix all that kkthnx

jesus tittyfucking christ do people think college IT are fucking stupid?

Situation: Out of control AD linked to Google needs tidying then migrating to O365.
    As we stand there are ~750 active users down from 1100. Gmail to o365 tools are not rare....

The incumbant consultant mails us this morning: there will be 850 accounts at 11.50 each using too X.
    Google Tool X. it's 9. Call them for an education price.
    It's 4.

jesus tittyfucking christ do people think college IT are fucking stupid?

Situation: Out of control AD linked to Google needs tidying then migrating to O365.
    As we stand there are ~750 active users down from 1100. Gmail to o365 tools are not rare....

The incumbant consultant mails us this morning: there will be 850 accounts at 11.50 each using too X.
    Google Tool X. it's 9. Call them for an education price.
    It's 4.

just pocketing the difference m8.
    Viking, n.:

Welcome to "we are not fucking stupid".
    Population "you look like a cunt"

Welcome to "we are not fucking stupid".
    Population "you look like a cunt"
    it's not called a CONsultant for nothing m8, if you cant spot the sucker in the deal, chances are you're the sucker.
    Viking, n.:

Bah.. We just spend ~$3M (AU, so about $1.50 US) doing a 1 for 1 move from our on-prem vmware to AWS. Guess what, it runs exactly the same except there is a ton of extra lag. No cost savings (we actually think it costs a bit more because of the increased amount of network traffic).

TL;DR, I could have used that money for a new SAN...

our AD synchronization just blew up again, the SYSVOL share on one DC basically just went AWOL and it's not coming back after a reboot.

i know how to fix this problem, but i haven't actually handed responsibility over to anybody when i leave work next friday and im leaving it to stew a little because we're not supposed to fuck with non critical stuff until after working hours without a wavier (emergency reboots are excepted), and i haven't gotten one yet.

and i am not going to do overtime this close to "retirement" either, i just hope whoever they hand this shit over to knows how to drive legacy laden AD's by their pant seats because they are gonna need it, and a decent understanding of FRS, to get anywhere, especially when they spot the 2008 functional level single-label domain running FRS To sync SYSVOL, the last one is one i am especially "proud" of, it's supposedly impossible, but never let the mere concept of impossibility get in the way of a proper bodge-job!

oh, and it's starting to drop CNAME support randomly, so you can ask the DNS server about a CNAME and get a response, then sometimes you wont get a response, despite it being viable in the DNS UI and the DNS server itself can ask itself about that CNAME just fine, while it wont answer the client.

this is one dodgy setup, man i hope my successor is a hot-jock at this shit.
    Last edited by Liare; January 11 2017 at 11:18:35 AM.
    Viking, n.: