hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 378 of 394 FirstFirst ... 278328368375376377378379380381388 ... LastLast
Results 7,541 to 7,560 of 7863

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Inherited permissions overriding whatever your'e setting ?

Also what halbarad said

File permissions have always been an annoying mess of shit for me..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    idgi I give someone full control permissions to a specific folder on a share drive and it doesn't work, they keep getting permission errors when trying to access the folder but if I change the permissions to the whole drive instead of just the subfolders they need it works. There are no conflicting deny permissions either, idgi idgi
    We had a similar situation here some time back. It came from folders being too deep on the file server but on when users map to them a little further down the tree, so when permissions are re-applied it'd stop applying them, break then never allow said user to access stuff.

2 days of fucking about with symlinks and powershell to fix all that kkthnx
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

jesus tittyfucking christ do people think college IT are fucking stupid?

Situation: Out of control AD linked to Google needs tidying then migrating to O365.
    As we stand there are ~750 active users down from 1100. Gmail to o365 tools are not rare....

The incumbant consultant mails us this morning: there will be 850 accounts at 11.50 each using too X.
    Google Tool X. it's 9. Call them for an education price.
    It's 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    jesus tittyfucking christ do people think college IT are fucking stupid?

Situation: Out of control AD linked to Google needs tidying then migrating to O365.
    As we stand there are ~750 active users down from 1100. Gmail to o365 tools are not rare....

The incumbant consultant mails us this morning: there will be 850 accounts at 11.50 each using too X.
    Google Tool X. it's 9. Call them for an education price.
    It's 4.

just pocketing the difference m8.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Welcome to "we are not fucking stupid".
    Population "you look like a cunt"

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Welcome to "we are not fucking stupid".
    Population "you look like a cunt"
    it's not called a CONsultant for nothing m8, if you cant spot the sucker in the deal, chances are you're the sucker.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Bah.. We just spend ~$3M (AU, so about $1.50 US) doing a 1 for 1 move from our on-prem vmware to AWS. Guess what, it runs exactly the same except there is a ton of extra lag. No cost savings (we actually think it costs a bit more because of the increased amount of network traffic).

TL;DR, I could have used that money for a new SAN...

our AD synchronization just blew up again, the SYSVOL share on one DC basically just went AWOL and it's not coming back after a reboot.

i know how to fix this problem, but i haven't actually handed responsibility over to anybody when i leave work next friday and im leaving it to stew a little because we're not supposed to fuck with non critical stuff until after working hours without a wavier (emergency reboots are excepted), and i haven't gotten one yet.

and i am not going to do overtime this close to "retirement" either, i just hope whoever they hand this shit over to knows how to drive legacy laden AD's by their pant seats because they are gonna need it, and a decent understanding of FRS, to get anywhere, especially when they spot the 2008 functional level single-label domain running FRS To sync SYSVOL, the last one is one i am especially "proud" of, it's supposedly impossible, but never let the mere concept of impossibility get in the way of a proper bodge-job!

oh, and it's starting to drop CNAME support randomly, so you can ask the DNS server about a CNAME and get a response, then sometimes you wont get a response, despite it being viable in the DNS UI and the DNS server itself can ask itself about that CNAME just fine, while it wont answer the client.

this is one dodgy setup, man i hope my successor is a hot-jock at this shit.
    Last edited by Liare; January 11 2017 at 11:18:35 AM.
    Viking, n.:

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    oh, and it's starting to drop CNAME support randomly, so you can ask the DNS server about a CNAME and get a response, then sometimes you wont get a response, despite it being viable in the DNS UI and the DNS server itself can ask itself about that CNAME just fine, while it wont answer the client.
    That sounds very similar to the issue I described here, which was the reason to disable the DNS Client service and have never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    idgi I give someone full control permissions to a specific folder on a share drive and it doesn't work, they keep getting permission errors when trying to access the folder but if I change the permissions to the whole drive instead of just the subfolders they need it works. There are no conflicting deny permissions either, idgi idgi
    Share permissions or NTFS permissions?
    NTFS permissions but the share permissions weren't conflicting

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Inherited permissions overriding whatever your'e setting ?

Also what halbarad said
    I still don't know why but granting the permissions one folder further up fixed the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    That sounds very similar to the issue I described here, which was the reason to disable the DNS Client service and have never looked back.
    nope, done that, it's reinstall DC time basically.

a job im not going to be doing, but i am going to be leaving a note on the domain admin desktop (that nobody is supposed to be using, but eventually whomever gets to pick this up will see) that it's propably a bit dodgy and could do with a full-on replacement.

because im nice like that.
    Viking, n.:

I ordered a laptop keyboard to replace the one acting funny on one of our machines here. It arrived today.

Spoiler:

what is a cardboard box

what is a cardboard box
    An object insufficient to the task at hand, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Bah.. We just spend ~$3M (AU, so about $1.50 US) doing a 1 for 1 move from our on-prem vmware to AWS. Guess what, it runs exactly the same except there is a ton of extra lag. No cost savings (we actually think it costs a bit more because of the increased amount of network traffic).

AWS is never, ever cheaper. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post

oh yes it can be, you simply haven't looked at enough proprietary "cloud" "solutions" to realize yet.
    Viking, n.:

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post

I know this.. I'm not in a position to actually stop dumb shit though.

If it would have been done correctly we would have been in the position that we could at least scaled up as our very flexible workforce expanded.. However, it's not been done anywhere near close to that (by retarded design) so we don't even have that as an easy bonus.

Also what is this shit about not being able to expand disks live in aws.. This is fucking 2017 and I have been able to fuck with all vm hardware live for at least the last 5 years, and now I can't even do the most basic of functions..

Quote Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
    I ordered a laptop keyboard to replace the one acting funny on one of our machines here. It arrived today.

Spoiler:

Well, now the one acting funny isn't so bad after all. Problem solved.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

in today's session of "WTF?" we have a seemingly innocuous Cisco emulator (judging by the host name), that refreshes its DHCP lease (and it has two, for some reason) every 30 seconds, with a new MAC address, every fucking time.

i will lovingly strangle the user running this piece of shit when the network weenies come back with a port number and desk number, i will go down to the desk and remove the patch cable, and then gently but forcefully strangle the life out of the offending user in full public view, then when i am done i will leave the body at the scene as a warning to any derring-do fuckwit who thinks of trying that, or running network emulation shit outside the fucking walled garden.
    Viking, n.: