hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 424 of 425 FirstFirst ... 324374414421422423424425 LastLast
Results 8,461 to 8,480 of 8491

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Think I finally found my perfect niche after years of being confused in which direction to go. Been IT support manager, systems analyst, business analyst (!!) and now a BI Analyst with SQL.

Nothing to really write home about, its pretty easy but challenging enough for me to not be bored. Plus it's in a domain I'm familiar with with some good peeps. I've done it before and enoyed it but the commute was killing me.

I think I was just constantly just chasing the cash over what I enjoy doing in a company I enjoy working for. Been on more money, but I'm finally happy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Think I finally found my perfect niche after years of being confused in which direction to go. Been IT support manager, systems analyst, business analyst (!!) and now a BI Analyst with SQL.

Nothing to really write home about, its pretty easy but challenging enough for me to not be bored. Plus it's in a domain I'm familiar with with some good peeps. I've done it before and enoyed it but the commute was killing me.

I think I was just constantly just chasing the cash over what I enjoy doing in a company I enjoy working for. Been on more money, but I'm finally happy.
    Nice one.

I've always enjoyed my job whenever I've done analytics delivery work. If you can build up a proper frontend process for accepting, quantifying and prioritising requests from the business it can (whisper it quietly) be a genuinely satisfying job to do.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post

Nice one.

I've always enjoyed my job whenever I've done analytics delivery work. If you can build up a proper frontend process for accepting, quantifying and prioritising requests from the business it can (whisper it quietly) be a genuinely satisfying job to do.
    Cheers pal. And exactly yes, will need a prioritisation route, the boss is doing it at the moment via senior team so randoms don't just barrage me with requests. It's not a HUGE company so *fingers crossed* will be ok to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post

Nice one.

Also, never worry about showing value again (because you are showing everyone else's value...)
    meh

YES! building a new KMS server fixed the deployment issues with LTSC / 1809 release of win10.
    Welcome to vdi motherfuckers.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Took me 2 tries to install SQL express because for some reason the first install didnt add anyone to the sa group and I locked myself out.. Going well.
    Friendly reminder that you can hack yourself in again, given access to the machine: http://failheap-challenge.com/showth...few-easy-steps

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Took me 2 tries to install SQL express because for some reason the first install didnt add anyone to the sa group and I locked myself out.. Going well.
    Friendly reminder that you can hack yourself in again, given access to the machine: http://failheap-challenge.com/showth...few-easy-steps
    Given that it was a fresh install it was quicker just to uninstall, tick the right box this time and to again..

I'm still messing something up because the connection server still can't connect to either my Vcenter or the composer server... Oh well, really low priority right now so it's getting about 30 mins of investigation a day..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Turns out I did everything right but I missed a step.. You need to add a valid (or trial) license before it will connect to anything.. Once I did that everything kicked in to life. I now have a very basic and terrible Win10 base image and basic pool running. Logging in via a web browser is pretty awesome.

Now the fun part where I try and get persistent user drives working and AppVolumes. Fun times! (Actually that might wait for a few days as I have other shit to do thats a bit more important right now)
    Last edited by Lana Torrin; November 28 2018 at 08:28:18 AM.

woop grats the HTML5 client is pretty good.

With your app volumes, you have to make them using a clone from the same image branch as your main image. It doesn't matter how far down the instant-clone tree you end up, but it's gotta be the same base. If you create a clean / separate appvol packer, it causes all kinds of grief.

Yeah I also learnt don't run the vdi optimization tool on your base image because it's fucked Windows update. Not really an issue because this is so test only 1 other person knows how to log in, but going forward I need to start doing this right.

It's been fun getting this all working. I worked out what I was doing wrong in SQL with the event database on the train on the way home.

I always always always snapshot before running the "shutdown optimisation" bits, so it's super simple to go back to just before you fucked it up.

Be aware of the double-windows update services now as well. there is a proggie out there called WUD that totally kills windows update, then you can just use WSUSOffline (you know about wsusoffline right?) to manage your updates. Win10, VDI and the basic WU services, even via WSUS are a nightmare :/

Been using the VMware tool and it seems to work.. I still have to manually uninstall apps, run decrapifier and then run the VMware tool to get everything but it works well enough for this test.

So is persona manager included in all the versions for free? They give it to you with the trial version but don't include a license so I'm assuming it doesn't need one... It's just the really old install video they have implies it's an extra cost.

Also no free trial of AppVolumes..

we've never got persona manager working better than roaming profiles and/or appvol redirection....
    And appvols. yeah. one headache at a time bro

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    we've never got persona manager working better than roaming profiles and/or appvol redirection....
    And appvols. yeah. one headache at a time bro
    Well, I got bored yesterday, logged in from home and played around with it. Persona manager seems to be a little fragile. I've only had it apply it's settings twice. I think its because I did what they told me and set up a group policy for it. I might just set the settings on the base images local policy because I think they just aren't applying all the time.

I also need to setup their security appliance but we aren't using a real certificate yet so I don't know if it's worth it.

LOL it halved fixed my problem at least. Now when I log in to the first machine it creates my profile just fine.. Something is eating 60%ish cpu.. Log out, log back in to a new vm, it uninstalls office.. This is very odd and I think I need to get logging working

Edit: so late this afternoon I found the actual VMware guide on how to prepare a Windows 10 image for view. It's the minimum things that need to be done, but fuck me some of them make a huge difference in how it runs.

I have no idea what the guide I found before actually was supposed to be but it missed a lot.
    Last edited by Lana Torrin; December 3 2018 at 09:48:19 AM.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/1...wered-browser/

There is no way this is going to be true.

Also at least for me it's not going to get me to switch. I'm getting quite used to having all my browsing and passwords sync to all my devices. It'll be nice to enforce it at work though I guess.
    Last edited by Lana Torrin; December 5 2018 at 09:56:45 AM.

I've read the same on a German IT site yesterday. They gave a couple (more) reasons why this could be true, e.g. MS is already using Chromium for their mobile browsing/rendering. So basically maintaining two different browser. Also: Edge never picked up enough steam, it has 6-7% market share (in Germany), whereas e.g. IE11 still has 10%.

lol why ? because it makes sense ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post

lol why ? because it makes sense ?
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. It's a very different Microsoft compared to 10 years ago, even compared to 5 years ago its changed a lot (mostly for the better).