hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 425 of 430 FirstFirst ... 325375415422423424425426427428 ... LastLast
Results 8,481 to 8,500 of 8597

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/1...wered-browser/

There is no way this is going to be true.
    lol why ? because it makes sense ?
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. It's a very different Microsoft compared to 10 years ago, even compared to 5 years ago its changed a lot (mostly for the better).
    I've seen microsoft "change" before. It's rarely for the better..

We shall see what becomes of this I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

It's probably true, and they'll use a microsoft-ised version of chromium called Official Standard Windows Chromium, which does random things in differently incompatible ways because that's how Microsoft roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    It's probably true, and they'll use a microsoft-ised version of chromium called Official Standard Windows Chromium, which does random things in differently incompatible ways because that's how Microsoft roll.
    and randomly re configures your computer on alternate Tuesdays because fuck you ?
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    and randomly re configures your computer on alternate Tuesdays because fuck you ?
    See every patch that has changed people's settings or just outright ignored them ever.

Or the company that pushed candy crush and Minecraft to the 'pro' version of their product.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...a-fatal-error/

Its a thing. Its still going to be called Edge, they are JUST using the render engine, and basically its not going to improve Edge's market share much.

The article however brings up another interesting point (although im not sure deliberately). In Microsoft's rush to 'everything ins Windows 10' they have managed to confuse the environment. Win10 1703 and Win10 1809 are COMPLETELY different things. Apps and features in one are not always present in the other and so enterprise as a whole tends to stick with a specific version (We are sticking with 1803 for the time being). The end result is confusion and compatibility issues because your windows 10 apps might not be the same as my windows 10 apps.

Its all Windows 10 right?

blindows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    got into work today theres a new folder in the emails box named after our knowledge base system, there are 4.5k emails in it at 8am by 8:36 its sat at 81116 XD time to call IT.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    got into work today theres a new folder in the emails box named after our knowledge base system, there are 4.5k emails in it at 8am by 8:36 its sat at 81116 XD time to call IT.
    She'll be right mate.

In today's boring IT news, moving our backup system to a new server is proving to be amazing. Took me literally half the day of fucking around trying to work out what it couldn't snapshot disks thinking it was a permissions thing only to remember at lunch it doesn't officially support esx 6.7u1 yet so you have to make 1 registry change that tells it to use the 6.7 API.. You know, that thing that didn't change...

It's now backing up a fuck tone faster than the old server and somehow managing almost 70% compression... I might need to test these backups before swapping servers...

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    She'll be right mate.

In today's boring IT news, moving our backup system to a new server is proving to be amazing. Took me literally half the day of fucking around trying to work out what it couldn't snapshot disks thinking it was a permissions thing only to remember at lunch it doesn't officially support esx 6.7u1 yet so you have to make 1 registry change that tells it to use the 6.7 API.. You know, that thing that didn't change...

It's now backing up a fuck tone faster than the old server and somehow managing almost 70% compression... I might need to test these backups before swapping servers...
    ended up with 110k emails in the system before we got the issue resolved XD

oh look, there's a Y in the day. lets spend an hour trying to get netfx3 installed again.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    oh look, there's a Y in the day. lets spend an hour trying to get netfx3 installed again.
    Bah.. I think I get to spend the weekend fixing vss on our 'primary' sql server.. 2003 server with sql 2000 on it.. Fuck i hope a reboot and vmtools update fixes it.

Diary of Hindsight part 485:

Well that was a fucking stupid idea. We have changed the backup system with 2 weeks to go to xmas. This was partly forced as we were technically in violation of vmware licensing and also the backup system licensing (although neither company really cares as long as its only temporary which it was while we migrated). Net result is the backups 'sort of' work but its also smashing through 15TB of disk space a night. We dont have much more than that so it works once then fails the next night. Add in to that the old old san we are using as backup storage blew 2 disks on the same day corrupting one of my backup sets. Its mostly stable now but im having to do a full backup AGAIN so we have something to put to tape on the weekend. I'm not in tomorrow or next week and the monthly runs are supposed to be done next week.

Its slowly getting fixed, but im quickly running out of time to get it fixed enough so it can run on its own over the xmas holidays.

Holy sweet mother of god getting the backups working has been fun in the full dwarf fortress sense of the word..

I have FINALLY gotten the backups running without generating errors OR taking 26 hours to run. Using our old SAN I was able to blow away some LUNs that we had been keeping because they had an old SQL server database on them. We pushed this off to tape and I was able to reconfigure them in to a 15TB LUN to match the 15TB of local disk space we have. The only real downside is they are old 7200RPM 2TB disks in an old SAN that only has 4Gb paths to it.. It literally took the SAN 32 hours to create the RAID 6 (I need the space) as well so that was fucking amazing.

Veeam is pretty cool.. I have it setup to run a reverse incremental backup of the file servers. This means it basically does a synthetic full every day and pushed the diffs to the incremental backup for the previous day, so the latest backup is always a full and we have daily rollbacks in the incrementals. Using a scale-out repository I was able to put the full backup on the local disks (because they are faster and I trust them more than this 7+ year old SAN) and the incrementals get pushed to the RAID 6 on the SAN. Once a week the full gets pushed to tape for archive storage. If we lose the SAN (which is legitimately a concern) we just lose the rollbacks.

Also with scaleout repositories, if we end up getting a disk shelf for the server and decide to throw away the SAN (may be a thing we do in the next 12 months), I can just add a new repository and tell veeam to migrate everything from the SAN. This operation is a pain in the backside with normal single disk repositories.

Oh, I also did this yesterday when I had the day off and this morning (it being saturday now). I would MUCH rather have working backups than have something fuck up over xmas and a terrible January.
    Last edited by Lana Torrin; December 22 2018 at 02:18:33 AM.

Holy sweet mother of god getting the backups working has been fun in the full dwarf fortress sense of the word..

I have FINALLY gotten the backups running without generating errors OR taking 26 hours to run. Using our old SAN I was able to blow away some LUNs that we had been keeping because they had an old SQL server database on them. We pushed this off to tape and I was able to reconfigure them in to a 15TB LUN to match the 15TB of local disk space we have. The only real downside is they are old 7200RPM 2TB disks in an old SAN that only has 4Gb paths to it.. It literally took the SAN 32 hours to create the RAID 6 (I need the space) as well so that was fucking amazing.

Veeam is pretty cool.. I have it setup to run a reverse incremental backup of the file servers. This means it basically does a synthetic full every day and pushed the diffs to the incremental backup for the previous day, so the latest backup is always a full and we have daily rollbacks in the incrementals. Using a scale-out repository I was able to put the full backup on the local disks (because they are faster and I trust them more than this 7+ year old SAN) and the incrementals get pushed to the RAID 6 on the SAN. Once a week the full gets pushed to tape for archive storage. If we lose the SAN (which is legitimately a concern) we just lose the rollbacks.

Also with scaleout repositories, if we end up getting a disk shelf for the server and decide to throw away the SAN (may be a thing we do in the next 12 months), I can just add a new repository and tell veeam to migrate everything from the SAN. This operation is a pain in the backside with normal single disk repositories.

Oh, I also did this yesterday when I had the day off and this morning (it being saturday now). I would MUCH rather have working backups than have something fuck up over xmas and a terrible January.
    I must say I feel just the same with veeam wonderful piece of software, though it can be a little obtuse at times as even though the documentation says it does this that does not always mean it does or that it does it in the way you would expect.
    The only issue I have had is trying to archive to tape while only having a single drive and no autoloader any job over a single tape in size never completes properly .

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Our autoloader is having fun.. It doesn't always read the labels properly so veeam just assigns them a random tape name. I can correct this and it writes the name to the header, so on the second load and failed barcode read you can just inventory the tape and it works out what it is.. Only problem is once you eject the tape, it goes back in to the autoloader and veeam forgets the tape name and gives it it old label back.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    In today's IT adventure, I learned that some old Dell boards (like my father's Inspiron 580) will detect but not boot from SATA devices if you change the BIOS from ATA mode to AHCI mode. This apparently is a known issue. Which makes me wonder why it was implemented on this board to begin with.

Also, installing Windows 10 updates on a hard drive paired with 2C/4T processor from 2010 is no fun.
    Last edited by Nordstern; January 1 2019 at 11:15:23 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    In today's IT adventure, I learned that some old Dell boards (like my father's Inspiron 580) will detect but not boot from SATA devices if you change the BIOS from ATA mode to AHCI mode. This apparently is a known issue. Which makes me wonder why it was implemented on this board to begin with.

Also, installing Windows 10 updates on a hard drive paired with 2C/4T processor from 2010 is no fun.
    Highlighted the issue for you.

Well aware of that, the computers at my workplace most likely all have HDDs (what is SSD in 2018) and they all crap themselves when updating. The IT support is top notch with allowing updates during work hours, we had multiple computers literally disabled for hours. I mean, really, I go in at work at 9 AM and come mid day they're still updating. Top lulz.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Highlighted the issue for you.

Well aware of that, the computers at my workplace most likely all have HDDs (what is SSD in 2018) and they all crap themselves when updating. The IT support is top notch with allowing updates during work hours, we had multiple computers literally disabled for hours. I mean, really, I go in at work at 9 AM and come mid day they're still updating. Top lulz.
    To be fair, you set a deadline in WSUS not an install time. The machine installs it whenever as long as it done by the deadline. You can mandate a window in win10 (or any version if you actually have SCCM) but once you are past the deadline it's just going to smash the patch in whatever the fuck you are doing.

And honestly that's not a bad idea because lets say I set the windows to be 8pm to 5am to make sure no one is using the device when it wants to patch. 99% of desktops/laptops are going to be turned off during that window so they will literally never patch. (The whole 'turn on to patch' thing you see options for work about 20% of the time so its better but also thats still 80% of the machines not patched)

Or, you can do the opposite thing that I have seen 1 business do. You set the window to out of hour and don't force an install at all. 80% of your fleet never updates and in 4 years time you start running in to issues with software because you are running an out of date unsupported version of dotNet that needs something like 120 patches to be installed before it will even try. Now THOSE are fun times when you have a whole department of people trying to install patches for a whole day so they can get their shiny new software to work.

Of course the answer is, as with everything, SSDs.. My mind still boggles that in 2019 its still an 'option' on most business machines (with it not even being optional on some).

Well, being a hospital and all, most of the computers are turned on all the time (night shifts etc). They're almost never restarted, even when they start not doing shit (like accept my smartcard login) then somebody (usually me in my area) restarts them so they do shit again. And then they get hit with the patch.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Well, being a hospital and all, most of the computers are turned on all the time (night shifts etc). They're almost never restarted, even when they start not doing shit (like accept my smartcard login) then somebody (usually me in my area) restarts them so they do shit again. And then they get hit with the patch.
    Ok that's a specific case.. Having worked for the health department here I can say our desktops had a similar issue which is why we were moving to vdi. Stick in your card and you get a new patched VM every time. This was however when vdi was still very young so we were still having a lot of issues with it (it still didn't create machines before they were needed for example).