hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 401 of 401 FirstFirst ... 301351391398399400401
Results 8,001 to 8,014 of 8014

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Today in SCCM fuckery:
    - i'm now using collection variables to decide which image is deployed and which domain is joined.
    The correct image is deployed to rooms, hooray.

The computers are joining the student domain correctly - variables being correctly parsed as per smsts.log. Sadly, once they have joined the student domain, no students can log in as they have picked up the staff domain security policy, which blocks students from logging in.

wonderful.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Today in SCCM fuckery:
    - i'm now using collection variables to decide which image is deployed and which domain is joined.
    The correct image is deployed to rooms, hooray.

The computers are joining the student domain correctly - variables being correctly parsed as per smsts.log. Sadly, once they have joined the student domain, no students can log in as they have picked up the staff domain security policy, which blocks students from logging in.

wonderful.
    that doesn't sound like SCCM, but rather you've gone done goofed with cross-domain group policies?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

i think the bod who made the image had it on one domain and fucked it.
    luckily it's only win7, office, adobe CC + visual studio so shouldn't take long to re build from scratch.
    not.

ran into a fun "machines not being authorised" earlier in the week too. it turns out one of our new college's student domain is in a separate forest so the one site server on their office was refusing to service clients. Working as intended but just another spanner i'd never seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    i think the bod who made the image had it on one domain and fucked it.
    luckily it's only win7, office, adobe CC + visual studio so shouldn't take long to re build from scratch.
    not.

ran into a fun "machines not being authorised" earlier in the week too. it turns out one of our new college's student domain is in a separate forest so the one site server on their office was refusing to service clients. Working as intended but just another spanner i'd never seen before.
    you ain't seen fucking nothing yet when it comes to cross forest shenanigans.

my previous employer is a large defence contractor, as i have hinted at in the past and their entire setup is separate domain forests with cross forest trusts and firm firewalls between the forests, the complexity involved takes a diagram to sort out and the whole thing is tied together with federation services, it also produces an amazing number of problems.

say you have two users, in the same office lets call them Sam and Ben, both are project manglers and now Ben calls in with a login issue, only where's the fucking problem ? is it the domain his workstation is on ? is it because he's been a fucking numpty and plugged the wrong drive into the wrong chassis ? is it his actual user account ? or is he forgetting to tell you that he's actually using the citrix cluster sitting on another forest entirely because the performance there is miles ahead of the shitty workstation he's issued with ? or maybe it's the application he's running, that's sitting on a app server on yet another domain forest ? or maybe the actual problem is that the SQL server backing said app server, that sits on YET ANOTHER forest is fucked.

you could just have a look at Sam's setup, but there is no guarantee his actual setup is even remotely similar to Ben's, he might be using a thin client directly into the Citrix cluster instead and you cannot easily troubleshoot across the domains even as a sysadmin, because there is no assurance you even have access to even a third of the junk the user interacts with, and even if you did you can't easily trace problems from the workstation level trough the domain stacks because everything is rigidly firewalled, but poorly documented.

i am so happy i worked in my own little "sandpit" with a subsection of regular users, at least some degree of order could be imposed on the shit i could touch, though i readily admit i spend half my time pulling down overly engineered solutions and smacking in "primitive" "by the book" solutions, oddly enough uptime increased and breakdowns decreased at a regular phase until i quit, of course now the whole thing is just rolling along, basically unmanaged because hiring replacements is hard, even with a fucking 6 month lead time on the resignation.

on the up-side, they haven't had a unrecoverable and ungooglable problem yet, something i am rather proud of, considering that was the fucking norm before i started.
    Last edited by Liare; July 13 2017 at 12:26:02 PM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Because I just hunted down a "lost" email: fuck MTAs that don't respect the Prio setting of MX records

import custom admx templates into a DC for google chrome and get them running on some terminal servers

I FEEL LIKE THE GOD OF GPO RIGHT NOW

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    import custom admx templates into a DC for google chrome and get them running on some terminal servers

I FEEL LIKE THE GOD OF GPO RIGHT NOW
    this fuking mornig what did i find?
    fuckign adobe fucking acrobat ADMX fucking templates.
    yes m8. welcome to the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Wmi was indeed reset.. As was kicking the machine from sccm and letting it reconfigure..

Which setting are you referring to? (also probably yes saying as we have 122 desktops with no issues)
    hardware inventory agent, note that you can have divergent agent settings within a SCCM site, no it's not supposed to be possible, but it can happen.

if you do, reinstall the agent.
    Aaah.. Yes, hardware inventory is indeed working. I think it has something to do with the 2 domains this client has and the fact they arent trusted.. I'm still not sure WHY they aren't trusted as literally no one has managed to tell me why yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Aaah.. Yes, hardware inventory is indeed working. I think it has something to do with the 2 domains this client has and the fact they arent trusted.. I'm still not sure WHY they aren't trusted as literally no one has managed to tell me why yet.
    In my experience it was always the case that a trust relationship was set up, kept breaking down and eventually people stopped bothering to set it back up again

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

And then followed by a bitter divorce, with one domain keeping the user accounts and the other keeping the computer accounts.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Today I got the shits with sccm again and installed the site server on a new box.. I then immediately had 6 servers that weren't talking to sccm check in..

I've managed to get a handful of desktops to this before, so I'm not going to be convinced this has fixed anything until it's actually fixed. But that's better than I managed last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Code:
    C:\Windows\system32> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Depl
    oyment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM\dism.exe" /Image:"E:\mount" /Add-Package
    /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment K
    it\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-Scripting.cab"

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

Processing 1 of 1 - Adding package WinPE-Scripting-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd6
    4~~10.0.10240.16384
    [==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081e

The specified package is not applicable to this image.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

Aaah, but it's one.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post

In my experience it was always the case that a trust relationship was set up, kept breaking down and eventually people stopped bothering to set it back up again
    To give them adequate training and experience.