hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 400 of 401 FirstFirst ... 300350390397398399400401 LastLast
Results 7,981 to 8,000 of 8014

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

It turns out that when you're deploying your big application to some customers, who are really careful with data protection and special clearance to access systems, then you shouldn't store other customers data in various directories in the application.

Luckily it was spotted by our people (who'd never deployed it before and discovered it was a cluster fuck of a deploy process) and not theirs or the shitstorm would have been considerably larger and almost certainly involved lawyers.

As an added bonus it was discovered that one of the deployment scripts would first attempt to remove some installed msi files, but it wasn't properly filtered to only target ours so it went off and uninstalled a bunch of stuff including the vmware tools that was letting them access the VM and rebooted it. No one is quite sure what has been uninstalled before the reboot other than those tools so we'll see what happens with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    If anyone knows why about 80 of my desktops aren't reporting their software collection to sccm, but literally everything else is working for them, please stand up.
    WMI not (properly) working?

http://windowsitpro.com/scripting/re...uickly-wmidiag

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    It turns out that when you're deploying your big application to some customers, who are really careful with data protection and special clearance to access systems, then you shouldn't store other customers data in various directories in the application.

Luckily it was spotted by our people (who'd never deployed it before and discovered it was a cluster fuck of a deploy process) and not theirs or the shitstorm would have been considerably larger and almost certainly involved lawyers.

As an added bonus it was discovered that one of the deployment scripts would first attempt to remove some installed msi files, but it wasn't properly filtered to only target ours so it went off and uninstalled a bunch of stuff including the vmware tools that was letting them access the VM and rebooted it. No one is quite sure what has been uninstalled before the reboot other than those tools so we'll see what happens with that one.
    fuck that noise

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post

fuck that noise
    C. Not my problem yet thankfully.

If anyone knows why about 80 of my desktops aren't reporting their software collection to sccm, but literally everything else is working for them, please stand up.
    *stands up*

WMI borked.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

fuck that noise
    Fuck fuck fuck.

fuck that noise
    Fuck fuck fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    *stands up*

WMI borked.
    I thought that too.. Everything else is working though (hardware discovery being the obvious one that uses wmi).

I really need a run down on the specifics of how sccm gets the messages back from the clients because software deployments seem to report correctly, but updates don't...

I've spent 4 days on this now.. Literally every little thing sccm has been bitching about is now fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

*stands up*

WMI borked.
    I'm not saying the terrorists were right, but maybe it is borked?

Trend Micro WFSB NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER

I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

It is what I have inherited

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    It is what I have inherited
    We took on a new client with an install of this stuck on their DC. I managed to clean it out last night but got a bit of a morale boost when I found out this installation was from not the previous IT support, but the one before them! Score one for us actually getting rid of moldy AV instead of leaving it there

phoneposting

Any day a windows support person can solve a problem using SSH is a good day. Today was a good day

phoneposting

Any day a windows support person can solve a problem using SSH is a good day. Today was a good day
    As a windows engineer, I wouldn't know what it do without my debian installs and SSH tunnels.. The number of times I've fixed something just because I can tunnel outside the network to check things is amazing.. (also Wireshark)

Super Rooerator Movember 2012Global Moderator ctrlchris's Avatar
    Who can I sub contract my HP calls to?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Your posting is medium, its not rare and its not well done
    - Krans 26/7/12

As a windows engineer, I wouldn't know what it do without my debian installs and SSH tunnels.. The number of times I've fixed something just because I can tunnel outside the network to check things is amazing.. (also Wireshark)
    Last migration I was on site for we had issues with DHCP not working through a sonicwall between two subnets, apparently you have to set up specific DHCP relays even if you have an allow all rule in place between interfaces but because I had my linux laptop with me I could use a script built into nmap to detect dhcp status on the network. Closest thing I could find on windows would have again been nmap or dhcploc, but neither are built into windows! HAH!

phoneposting

*stands up*

WMI borked.
    I thought that too.. Everything else is working though (hardware discovery being the obvious one that uses wmi).

I really need a run down on the specifics of how sccm gets the messages back from the clients because software deployments seem to report correctly, but updates don't...

I've spent 4 days on this now.. Literally every little thing sccm has been bitching about is now fixed.
    reset the WMI on one of them anyway, it takes all of five minutes to do.

also, the agent setting is enabled, right ? RIGHT ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Wmi was indeed reset.. As was kicking the machine from sccm and letting it reconfigure..

Which setting are you referring to? (also probably yes saying as we have 122 desktops with no issues)

Today I did a good thing.. I looked at the new vmware environment I inherited and immediately started fixing it.. We are now no longer running out of space.. I just wish we didn't have standard because drs would be awesome.

Wmi was indeed reset.. As was kicking the machine from sccm and letting it reconfigure..

Which setting are you referring to? (also probably yes saying as we have 122 desktops with no issues)
    hardware inventory agent, note that you can have divergent agent settings within a SCCM site, no it's not supposed to be possible, but it can happen.

if you do, reinstall the agent.
    Viking, n.: