hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 388 of 408 FirstFirst ... 288338378385386387388389390391398 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,760 of 8157

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...ng-powershell/

I'm insisting on doing this natively for a client so they can see if some old folders can be deleted by checking if they were merged into some other directories but windows is being an absolute shitter about file path/name exceeding the character limit. Why is this even a thing? Apparently there's a hotfix for server 2008 R2 that fixes this but I don't think it fixes the ps compare-object applet as I applied the hotfix but it made no difference

EDIT: wtf am I doing I ran it with no pipe to save the output so the result just spilled over the vertical buffer of the window
    Last edited by 56k Lagman; March 16 2017 at 06:18:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...ng-powershell/

I'm insisting on doing this natively for a client so they can see if some old folders can be deleted by checking if they were merged into some other directories but windows is being an absolute shitter about file path/name exceeding the character limit. Why is this even a thing? Apparently there's a hotfix for server 2008 R2 that fixes this but I don't think it fixes the ps compare-object applet as I applied the hotfix but it made no difference

EDIT: wtf am I doing I ran it with no pipe to save the output so the result just spilled over the vertical buffer of the window
    This is why most internet scale places don't take windows seriously as a server platform.
    meh

I have a dotnet dll you can load in to powershell to replace the file commands that doesn't have the path size restriction.. Stupidly is windows that has the restriction, not ntfs. Ntfs is actually pretty good and can do a bunch of stuff windows never uses.

If I can ever find the thing again I'll post a link.

Best thing about powershell is the ability to load dotnet assemblies directly in to it like a real program. It's also one of the most confusing things to do..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

First weekend on call with the new company, so far I've put in 6 hours of work between Friday afternoon and now Sunday morning. I am beyond furious at this point.

I had shit to deal with on Friday night around midnight, then again Saturday from 4am-6am, 8am, 12pm, 2pm,3pm and 5pm. It was quiet from then until Sunday morning but I put the phone on silent because :fuckthis:. Checked the phone again on Sunday morning and now I've spent from 10am to 1pm working on shit and I have to call out to a clients office at 3pm.

I'm supposed to be on call until next Friday but I'm tempted to tell them to fuck off come Monday morning. The vast majority of this is services failing that are not set with self healing events in NAble. Just how fucking complacent is everyone else on call for this company??
    Last edited by 56k Lagman; March 19 2017 at 08:44:42 PM.

I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Wow ..
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Bah.. Monitoring at our place sucks and no one wants to take ownership on fixing it (or actively blocks people from fixing it). It's a combination of the following :

- monitoring is done on a per machine basis. Any alarm at all on that machine is treated as the same priority.

- monitoring can raise a high priority incident without human interaction.

- monitoring is not cluster or service aware.

- ops managers are risk adverse and would prefer to wake up a tech with 50 false alarms than fix it and risk missing a critical alarm.

- monitoring is not context aware and can't close our prevent a ticket from waking someone up even if it stopped being an issue seconds later.

This leads to the hilarity of getting a call at 2am for an app pool on a single web server recycling despite the being no outage because it's clustered, and it also fixing is self because it recycled, and no one is willing to stop it generating calls because there is no way to tell if it crashed or did what it was supposed to be doing.

Again, even if it would have crashed, no outage because it was clustered.

Well that's retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Well that's retarded.
    I'm well aware of how retarded it is.. The only up side is there appears to be literally no consequence to telling service desk (who are the people that call us) to downgrade the alert without even getting out of bed. The 4 or 5 times someone (not me) has told them to downgrade a legitimate alert and we had a massive outage the next day because of it, no one even got questioned.

I got woken up so many times one week for SQL servers using 95% of their RAM (you know, that thing they pretty much always do because databases running in RAM are way faster then ones running on disk) that I had to take days off 'sick' so I could catch up on sleep.

I have also had a discussion with 2 different ops manages who complained that their on call costs were too high. Presented them both a list of at least 40 calls in the last month that were either not causing an outage (so could have waited till business hours) or cleared up before the operator logged in (which we still charge for). In both cases nothing came from it and the same ops managed complained again the next month that his on call costs were high.

Well that's retarded.
    Right?

Lana: Signal to Noise. Bad signal to noise makes ops guys lethargic and apathetic. This is pretty well established industrial psychology.

Service oriented monitoring and KPI is part of ITIL for a reason. They simply can't call themselves ITIL if they don't implement it.

I have no idea whether they call themselves ITIL, but this is how I get people to spend money on things that make my job easier. It sounds like your managers are pretty terrible if they don't think trying to get the least amount of work for their dudes in a clever way isn't the right way to do this, I just don't get this way of doing it. I guess you've mentioned this before.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Well that's retarded.
    Right?

Lana: Signal to Noise. Bad signal to noise makes ops guys lethargic and apathetic. This is pretty well established industrial psychology.

Service oriented monitoring and KPI is part of ITIL for a reason. They simply can't call themselves ITIL if they don't implement it.

I have no idea whether they call themselves ITIL, but this is how I get people to spend money on things that make my job easier. It sounds like your managers are pretty terrible if they don't think trying to get the least amount of work for their dudes in a clever way isn't the right way to do this, I just don't get this way of doing it. I guess you've mentioned this before.
    You want to know how terrible? We literally built them a replacement monitoring system for free that monitors actual services and gives us the info we need with next to no noise (there is always a bit) and they shut it down 'because its not the company standard'. This was 3 years ago mind. I've had almost 4 years of this mentality now and they wonder why I have stopped giving a shit, because I really have stopped giving a shit.

On the up side, its a lot easier when you don't care if you are doing a good job or not. I mean I die a little inside each day but whatever, we are all dieing.

Moving from an ITIL certified help desk to a small MSP that has probably never heard of ITIL legit sucks. I miss ITIL

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Moving from an ITIL certified help desk to a small MSP that has probably never heard of ITIL legit sucks. I miss ITIL
    It can be used to protect against pinheads by burying them in such dense documentation they never get back out again, but if the processes in it are followed with some lightweight implementations, instead of a literal reading they work very well at protecting the team from dumb requests.
    meh

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Hahaha.. Complain about Firefox saying your site is insecure. Site gets hacked in under 15 mins.

Not bad internet.

So today, I had the same project manager I have previously on multiple occasions told to fuck off till he gets a resource request come ask me again to look at an issue his project is having.

For shits and giggles I agreed to take a look when I have a bit of time. Then because the universe agrees with me got promptly swamped with work.. No looking was done and I'm not going to be free of this for a few days now. Guess he will actually need to get a resource organized.

Being connected or on call doesn't mean your friends and family have to suffer along with you. The key is to draw bright lines between your "on" and "off" times, and manage your coworkers expectations for when you're supposed to be available. Here's how to turn that struggle for balance into an easily managed routine.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Bah.. Monitoring at our place sucks and no one wants to take ownership on fixing it (or actively blocks people from fixing it). It's a combination of the following :

- monitoring is done on a per machine basis. Any alarm at all on that machine is treated as the same priority.

- ops managers are risk adverse and would prefer to wake up a tech with 50 false alarms than fix it and risk missing a critical alarm.

- monitoring is not context aware and can't close our prevent a ticket from waking someone up even if it stopped being an issue seconds later.

This leads to the hilarity of getting a call at 2am for an app pool on a single web server recycling despite the being no outage because it's clustered, and it also fixing is self because it recycled, and no one is willing to stop it generating calls because there is no way to tell if it crashed or did what it was supposed to be doing.

At least
    - your place has implemented monitoring
    - someone gest notified
    - someone reacts upon an alarm

Here we've got
    - monitoring implemented for a few (randomly selected?) machines. Machines - mind ya, not services on those machines
    - staff responsible to administer machines/services do not have access to the monitoring tool/are not being notified about alarms, instead ...
    - ... alarms get send out to people who have long left the company and therefore the alarm SMS/email bounces around various servers until it gets dropped

To just name the most prominent derps

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post

At least
    - your place has implemented monitoring
    - someone gest notified
    - someone reacts upon an alarm

Here we've got
    - monitoring implemented for a few (randomly selected?) machines. Machines - mind ya, not services on those machines
    - staff responsible to administer machines/services do not have access to the monitoring tool/are not being notified about alarms, instead ...
    - ... alarms get send out to people who have long left the company and therefore the alarm SMS/email bounces around various servers until it gets dropped

To just name the most prominent derps

After 3+ years of being woken up at random for no reason at all I can say that firstly I would prefer no one bother to monitor anything and secondly, no one really responds because we are so used to it just being a false alarm.