hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 396 of 398 FirstFirst ... 296346386393394395396397398 LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,920 of 7942

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Field tech: "hmm the AD replication and RODC roles on this server aren't working"

*Field tech then proceeds to reformat the DC along with the RDS VM apparently without backing anything up*

Now I'm getting calls from users about literally everything being broke, folder redirection is broke which is probably for the best because if it was working people would realise all of their shit is gone. DNS server is gone, there's a new one but it's on a new IP address which wasn't updated in anything. How are people so fucking bad at this
    Ok there has to be more to it than that.. You dont just delete an RODC because its stopped working..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Today in our 'new' office365 hybrid install we have discovered there are a number of people that have their mailbox both on-prem AND in 365.. According to Microsoft this is not supposed to be possible. We literally have the best setup ever. (So glad I didn't do it)

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post
    Returned to work after a month off. Nothing has changed. There are still jobs open and not touched from before I left.. The office365 project has finished in the same state of was in when I left (so broken with only about 20% of users migrated). The Windows 10 project progressed to about 50 desktops before they found out a bunch of stuff didn't work..

Didn't really miss any of this. Would be nice to have some working systems..

Holy fuck do you have 0 budget or just no planning there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All of this going no where reportedly cost about AU$2M.. So there was budget.
    I think you'll find that's the managerial golfing fund.

Field tech: "hmm the AD replication and RODC roles on this server aren't working"

*Field tech then proceeds to reformat the DC along with the RDS VM apparently without backing anything up*

Now I'm getting calls from users about literally everything being broke, folder redirection is broke which is probably for the best because if it was working people would realise all of their shit is gone. DNS server is gone, there's a new one but it's on a new IP address which wasn't updated in anything. How are people so fucking bad at this
    Ok there has to be more to it than that.. You dont just delete an RODC because its stopped working..
    ikr. Flattened the whole thing and we're still trying to find out why he did it. Let alone why he did it on a Monday evening

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    According to Microsoft this is not supposed to be possible.
    Technology, uh, finds a way.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    According to Microsoft this is not supposed to be possible.
    Technology, uh, finds a way.
    Been doing some research.. Its possible with a hybrid 2010/365 environment because 2010 is dumb/doesnt expect 365 to be a thing. Exchange 2013 and 2016 "cant" do it.. 2010 can if you follow some quite specific timing.

any bets on that surviving a upgrade from 2010 to 2016?

because, assuming you dont fuck with it, i'd wager it does.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

ikr. Flattened the whole thing and we're still trying to find out why he did it. Let alone why he did it on a Monday evening
    He surely made an image of the machine before dumping it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

He surely made an image of the machine before dumping it ...
    I'm going to look into it this morning as part of the clean up operation but I have a bad feeling that not only did they not back up the old server vhd files but actually reinstalled windows server IN the old vhds thus completely scrubbing any chance of recovering data

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

AFAIK MS doesn't really recommend them but I'm yet to hear of one that failed catastrophically
    Last edited by 56k Lagman; May 18 2017 at 05:27:50 PM.

Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Did I ever mention netcat is the best cat ever? (besides me and cat, that is)
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

cli has all the best things

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Did I ever mention netcat is the best cat ever? (besides me and cat, that is)
    Netcat and ssh may or may not have, in the long ago past before we had fancy things like clouds and SSL VPNs, hobble together some interesting solutions for things like SSL VPNs.
    meh

I'm not fucking with anything.. We have a half finished 2016 upgrade that has stopped mid way through.. I would draw a diagram of our current exchange environment, but I haven't worked it all out yet since getting back from break.

I sat down with one of the network guys on Tuesday to try and work out the mail flow and we both came to the conclusion there had to be some sort of magic involved.

I'm not fucking with anything.. We have a half finished 2016 upgrade that has stopped mid way through.. I would draw a diagram of our current exchange environment, but I haven't worked it all out yet since getting back from break.

I sat down with one of the network guys on Tuesday to try and work out the mail flow and we both came to the conclusion there had to be some sort of magic involved.
    see, this is why i dont work in IT anymore and have instead decided to pursue a career as a Electronics Engineer.

it's still a enormous mindfuck to figure out, but the magical factors are much reduced.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

see, this is why i dont work in IT anymore and have instead decided to pursue a career as a Electronics Engineer.

it's still a enormous mindfuck to figure out, but the magical factors are much reduced.
    You are absolutely delusional if you think the magical factors are much reduced in electrical engineering compared to IT. Hell, every profession has a disturbing amount of magic/voodoo factors once you do it for long enough. Even mine, and I'm working in medicine, and if that's not unsettling, idk what is

Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

You are absolutely delusional if you think the magical factors are much reduced in electrical engineering compared to IT. Hell, every profession has a disturbing amount of magic/voodoo factors once you do it for long enough. Even mine, and I'm working in medicine, and if that's not unsettling, idk what is

NO, I CANT HEAR YOU!

i am definitely not clinging to comfortable delusions or anything, nope.
    Viking, n.:

I ditched hardware because the fuckup/fix cycle is much faster and cheaper.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Antenna design is literally fucking black magic sometimes.. (I mean good antenna design).

Antenna design is literally fucking black magic sometimes.. (I mean good antenna design).
    Until you hold it wrong .

Has OS X stability gone to shit for anyone else recently? Every 2-3 days now for the last month or two I've had entire groups of apps (usually Chrome, IntellIJ and Evernote - just what you want to crash at random) completely lock up and have to be force killed.