hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 397 of 397 FirstFirst ... 297347387394395396397
Results 7,921 to 7,937 of 7937

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Has OS X stability gone to shit for anyone else recently? Every 2-3 days now for the last month or two I've had entire groups of apps (usually Chrome, IntellIJ and Evernote - just what you want to crash at random) completely lock up and have to be force killed.
    I haven't noticed any app-stability issues on El Capitan (I tend to stay a year behind latest OS releases), but major issues with sleep / waking from sleep. They're rare, but this is something that has always worked before ever since I switched to macs. It's just infuriating because I need to power cycle the machine.

Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Has OS X stability gone to shit for anyone else recently? Every 2-3 days now for the last month or two I've had entire groups of apps (usually Chrome, IntellIJ and Evernote - just what you want to crash at random) completely lock up and have to be force killed.
    Only had issues with hard crashes dealing with HDMI on a USB-C hub, switched the HDMI to a dedicated apple dongle and it's been rock solid after that.

Got some bad ram or the OOM heuristics fucking you over?
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

I went through a period of safari locking up at random and the wifi just shitting is self, but that seems to have been patched out (plus I don't use the mac much anymore)
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

zero issues here.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    zero issues here.
    meh

I can't afford a mac

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    I just installed Mac on my gaming pc. Never bought the components in mind to specifically do a hackintosh build with it, but as it turns out, I just installed it and everything works brilliantly (Sierra 10.12.4)

I got pretty inspired, which led me to hackintosh all the things (including two laptops) all of them ended in abysmal failures.

But my desktop hackintosh runs p. stronk

edit: will probably reinstall windows on it, since you know. It's my gaming pc. But will do a dual boot configuration. Running graphics apps (like ps,lightroom and final cut pro) on the Mac is nice and I can do the fun stuff in winblows
    Last edited by helgur; May 23 2017 at 05:27:44 PM.

fcp is garbage mate has been since osx

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Dunno, used lightworks in windows, going to give it a spin now that I've finally got some decent hardware to run fcp on. Whats so terrible about it?

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Dunno, used lightworks in windows, going to give it a spin now that I've finally got some decent hardware to run fcp on. Whats so terrible about it?
    workflow is hobbyist tier and the options for grading are not as granular as most people would like. Lightworks is the most autistic of the bunch but it certainly gets the job done. You can get davinci resolve for free and it is awesome, alternatively you could use premiere which is what I used when I had an adobe CC subscription.

FCP certainly works for some people but I haven't seen anyone use it, even for instagram tier shallow blurbs, for years.

Lightworks is the most autistic of the bunch
    I didn't think Lightworks was that bad to get into. Will see if I bother to stick with FCP, probably not. Lightworks runs on Mac too so

I didn't think Lightworks was that bad to get into. Will see if I bother to stick with FCP, probably not. Lightworks runs on Mac too so
    davinci resolve should too and it's the dogs bollocks mate, definitely worth looking into

davinci resolve should too and it's the dogs bollocks mate, definitely worth looking into
    I will admit, I'm too dumb to use davinci resolve.. All i wanted was hobby level stuff, and I just couldn't work this out..

In IT news.. Today I'm building new vcenters. 2012r2 because it's the highest we are licensed for.. Vcenter 6.0.0u2 because it's the last version that will work with esxi5.1 which is the latest version (and only) we have..

It will be nice to finally be able to use esx6 hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Field tech: "hmm the AD replication and RODC roles on this server aren't working"

*Field tech then proceeds to reformat the DC along with the RDS VM apparently without backing anything up*

Now I'm getting calls from users about literally everything being broke, folder redirection is broke which is probably for the best because if it was working people would realise all of their shit is gone. DNS server is gone, there's a new one but it's on a new IP address which wasn't updated in anything. How are people so fucking bad at this
    Ok there has to be more to it than that.. You dont just delete an RODC because its stopped working..
    ikr. Flattened the whole thing and we're still trying to find out why he did it. Let alone why he did it on a Monday evening
    He surely made an image of the machine before dumping it ...
    So apparently the partition on the hyperV server that contained the vhds "went bad due to a faulty nic corrupting data" and the vhd couldn't be retrieved which somewhat explains the fresh start. I'm struggling to believe the whole partition just blew up in the techs face but that's the excuse they're giving

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Field tech: "hmm the AD replication and RODC roles on this server aren't working"

*Field tech then proceeds to reformat the DC along with the RDS VM apparently without backing anything up*

Now I'm getting calls from users about literally everything being broke, folder redirection is broke which is probably for the best because if it was working people would realise all of their shit is gone. DNS server is gone, there's a new one but it's on a new IP address which wasn't updated in anything. How are people so fucking bad at this
    Ok there has to be more to it than that.. You dont just delete an RODC because its stopped working..
    ikr. Flattened the whole thing and we're still trying to find out why he did it. Let alone why he did it on a Monday evening
    He surely made an image of the machine before dumping it ...
    So apparently the partition on the hyperV server that contained the vhds "went bad due to a faulty nic corrupting data" and the vhd couldn't be retrieved which somewhat explains the fresh start. I'm struggling to believe the whole partition just blew up in the techs face but that's the excuse they're giving
    How does a faulty NIC affect a disk partition?

I feel like that somali dude in the meme right now.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    I feel like that somali dude in the meme right now.
    ikr and shit like this keeps happening. I just dont want to get caught in the crossfire when all of the fuck ups my colleagues keep making start to snowball and we lose clients over it. I'm not in Canada long enough to leave this job and look for something else so I've decided to stick this one out, even if at times it feels like a sinking ship