hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 399 of 399 FirstFirst ... 299349389396397398399
Results 7,961 to 7,971 of 7971

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Once again... Fuck sccm. The most work I got done today was random quick tickets while I was waiting for my deployment to fail again..
    I'm really not clear why Anisible/Chef/Puppet etc never caught on with Windows bods. They work great, for the most part, are way more functional and cheaper, and converge way quicker. The few guys who did investigate where I used to work loved Chef so much the IT group is pretty much done implementing their pilot, I believe.
    "Lack of support"... SCCM is free with your software assurance contract and supported by microsoft. Now to me that means it's basically got no support and you still have to work everything else out yourself, but to management that means it's supported by a mega corp! how could you go wrong!

And of course once you have 1 software deployment system in the environment you don't get a second one..

To be fair I was playing with compliance scripts earlier on today and I came up with some pretty neat tricks.. I have written a script that will check all of the config files and extensions for nsclient against a centralized setup (md5 checksums) and remediate any differences, so to deploy an update to all your servers you would just have to update the central share and they will all go and self update.. Plus you get reporting on the deployments and you can do 'smart' things (like stop the service and start it again only if there are updates) and it honors the individual servers deployment windows.. nsclient its self is deployed via a normal package, so the config and the client are separated and not dependant on eachother..

But yeah.. Fuck SCCM.. All im trying to do is turn on the fucking dotnet3.5 feature in windows 10 and the fucking thing is generating a billion errors..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Once again... Fuck sccm. The most work I got done today was random quick tickets while I was waiting for my deployment to fail again..
    I'm really not clear why Anisible/Chef/Puppet etc never caught on with Windows bods. They work great, for the most part, are way more functional and cheaper, and converge way quicker. The few guys who did investigate where I used to work loved Chef so much the IT group is pretty much done implementing their pilot, I believe.
    "Lack of support"... SCCM is free with your software assurance contract and supported by microsoft. Now to me that means it's basically got no support and you still have to work everything else out yourself, but to management that means it's supported by a mega corp! how could you go wrong!
    I know I don't have to say this to you, but lol.

All the options I've mentioned come with decent support options if you pay. Hell, we were a decently big customer, but one of the Chef founders was quite happy to jump on a plane and come and spend 2 days explaining it to my devops team. Our pilot wasn't that big a contract. I've even found their version of Platinum support to be quite a bit cheaper and better than M$. if you know what I mean.

And of course once you have 1 software deployment system in the environment you don't get a second one..

To be fair I was playing with compliance scripts earlier on today and I came up with some pretty neat tricks.. I have written a script that will check all of the config files and extensions for nsclient against a centralized setup (md5 checksums) and remediate any differences, so to deploy an update to all your servers you would just have to update the central share and they will all go and self update.. Plus you get reporting on the deployments and you can do 'smart' things (like stop the service and start it again only if there are updates) and it honors the individual servers deployment windows.. nsclient its self is deployed via a normal package, so the config and the client are separated and not dependant on eachother..

But yeah.. Fuck SCCM.. All im trying to do is turn on the fucking dotnet3.5 feature in windows 10 and the fucking thing is generating a billion errors..
    I mean all this is true, its tough to get people to learn new things. Management very often doesn't want to pay for training, and needs, in some cases, to realize software moves on and the dude you hired for skill X is useless to you on 2 years if you don't start teaching him skill Y soon.

The stuff with the central config and md5s and everything is kind of you baseline functionality with tools like Chef and Puppet. They enforce compliance the same way, but they do it for every aspect of the machine you are managing with them. The default with them is that if they find something changed, they just go ahead and change it back. It works to remove snowflakes, and once you get people out of the mindset of "doing quick changes" to stuff, you are well on the way to being able to get them to think in containers, or other immutable runtimes.
    meh

While I broadly agree with you, SCCM is a remarkably powerful tool and arguably more capable than chef/puppet/ansible. Getting all of its features out of one of the other tools would probably be a huge investment.

Not that most people use all of its features. The main reason Windows bods don't use such tools is Windows admins are allergic to scripting.

Anyone ever use the Touch-it keyboard/keyboard maker? www.chessware.ch
    I've managed to get it mostly working how I want but there is basically zero documentation and I have some questions
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Thoughts on this?

I don't really need much help with my FPS at the moment but its on sale. Seems like snake oil but the reviews seem quite good.
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

I'm sure it could deliver marginal performance improvements in some situations, but generally the OS should be good enough at process allocation.

Would not touch that shit if you paid me to. Your OS is far smarter than some shovelware off steam.

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Those kind of software were useful.......10 years ago.

Does Sophos have any redeeming features?

Our most glorious and benevolent IT department rolled it out to all machines and VM's on the network a few days ago. It appears to cripple most things we make, plus the build servers, but as there was no notice or even a heads up that it had been done this week has mainly been flailing panic while people try to figure out why everything is busted despite nothing having changed...
    Last edited by Shaikar; June 23 2017 at 09:47:29 AM.

Not really, no.

You'll have to disable it or whitelist as-good-as-everything in most dev environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    I'm sure it could deliver marginal performance improvements in some situations, but generally the OS should be good enough at process allocation.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Would not touch that shit if you paid me to. Your OS is far smarter than some shovelware off steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post
    Those kind of software were useful.......10 years ago.
    That's what I thought, thanks guys o7
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve