hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 427 of 431 FirstFirst ... 327377417424425426427428429430 ... LastLast
Results 8,521 to 8,540 of 8620

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Time to start thinking about upgrading CALS for 2019 if we decide to get that rather than a 2012r2 licence for replacing our 2008SBS DC. Next thought is Volume licencing and Microsoft 365? next years IT budget forecast may be slightly larger than any since i have been here. and best get around to replacing ~80 remote desktop users before we need to upgrade those CALS :/
    Protip for 365. You are using more mailboxes then you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Additional protip: have a good look at all email addresses if they're are actually sending emails. If there's some that just receive mails (info, webmaster and the like), you could save yourself some Office 365 licences by making those a "Shared Inbox", which is basically a mail-enabled public folder.

Ofc there's still Aliases and Distribution Lists for those, if that better fits the needs.

I thought exchange CALs were based on physical users, not mailboxes?

https://uptakedigital.zendesk.com/hc...-in-Office-365
    Last edited by SteeleResolve; January 23 2019 at 11:15:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post

Didnt read the link because well, ive been running 365 for a few years now..

You have to assign a licence to an account before office365 will create a mailbox. The only exception is shared mailboxes, but the limitation with them is you cant log in to them with the account they are created under because that account needs to be disabled for it to be a shared mailbox. I'll give a couple of examples.

We have a few users who work for 2 of our sub-companies. They have a primary domain login (name@primarydomain) and because they needs to send as the other domain a 'shared' mailbox only they can access under the seconday domain (name@secondarydomain). This costs us a single E3 license (because they need office locally as well).

We have a couple of 'road warrior' users who literally never come in to the office. They have a mailbox at 1 domain and access email on their phones. This costs us a single E1.

Our CMS system sends emails on behalf of our sales team (ie, individual sales people). This costs us no licenses.

Our accounting software sends bills to customers using its own email address (accounts @primarydomain), customers can also reply to this address which gets used as a shared mailbox for our accounts team. As it needs a login to send, it counts as a 'user'. This costs us an E1 license.

Our MFD sends internally only using its own email address (xerox@primarydomain, I dont know why because its actually a cannon). Because its not sending externally this doesnt cost us a license. We do this via a local MTA but there is a way you can get the MFD to send directly to the mailbox without that, its just a bit more of a pain and requires the device to understand TLS, which ours doesnt (if I remember correctly).

Its BASICALLY 1 license per user BUT you have all those little automated systems that send using their own email address that you have forgotten about. A lot of those will need one as well (but only an E1 because they dont need office).

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    just crimped my first ever ethernet cable

feeling very it manly right now

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

One of us, one of us.

did you strip it with your teeth ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

did you strip it with your teeth ?
    Asking the right questions right there.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post

Didnt read the link because well, ive been running 365 for a few years now..

You have to assign a licence to an account before office365 will create a mailbox. The only exception is shared mailboxes, but the limitation with them is you cant log in to them with the account they are created under because that account needs to be disabled for it to be a shared mailbox. I'll give a couple of examples.

We have a few users who work for 2 of our sub-companies. They have a primary domain login (name@primarydomain) and because they needs to send as the other domain a 'shared' mailbox only they can access under the seconday domain (name@secondarydomain). This costs us a single E3 license (because they need office locally as well).

We have a couple of 'road warrior' users who literally never come in to the office. They have a mailbox at 1 domain and access email on their phones. This costs us a single E1.

Our CMS system sends emails on behalf of our sales team (ie, individual sales people). This costs us no licenses.

Our accounting software sends bills to customers using its own email address (accounts @primarydomain), customers can also reply to this address which gets used as a shared mailbox for our accounts team. As it needs a login to send, it counts as a 'user'. This costs us an E1 license.

Our MFD sends internally only using its own email address (xerox@primarydomain, I dont know why because its actually a cannon). Because its not sending externally this doesnt cost us a license. We do this via a local MTA but there is a way you can get the MFD to send directly to the mailbox without that, its just a bit more of a pain and requires the device to understand TLS, which ours doesnt (if I remember correctly).

Its BASICALLY 1 license per user BUT you have all those little automated systems that send using their own email address that you have forgotten about. A lot of those will need one as well (but only an E1 because they dont need office).
    You do not actually need a license to send mail, even externally. But will depend on device functionality - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exc...using-office-3

If you require license, you should be fine with F1 license instead of E1 if its just for authenticating and sending.

Pretty much only have 1 extraneous O365 account that is not associated to a user (generic IT admin user that I inherited) I do have a bunch of licences that are assigned to users who have left the company... but that is down to not being give the time to properly work out and test account closure procedures after the jump was made, something about shared mailboxes is going to be part of it I think.

On another note, a) second hand PowerEdge dual cpu R730XD (6x10TB hdd) @ 4800 or b) secondhand powervault (6x10TB ish) feeding a VM with an iscsi LUN @ 3720- 5920

For bulk storage of CFD modelling data and 1Gbps iscsi or 10Gbps 5 or 6 workstations generating data (perfmon shows about 300kbps data write per running model) I want to say must be 10Gbps just because, but i know the actual data write speeds are not going to crimp 1Gbos. Only issue does the 1Gbps massively limit day to day data operations / disk access.

PowerVault MD3200i/MD3220i – Connects to an iSCSI network at 1Gbps, allows the drives to run at 6Gbps -3720
    PowerVault MD3600i/MD3620i – Connects to an iSCSI network at 10Gbps, allows the drives to run at 6Gbps - 4420
    PowerVault MD3800i/MD3820i – Connects to an iSCSI network at 10Gbps, allows the drives to run at 12Gbps - 5920

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Oh yeah, remove the license before deleting the AD account or it will keep the license and disappear from the web portal.. You can PowerShell the license away but that's still a pain unless you are already managing the licenses via PowerShell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Oh yeah, remove the license before deleting the AD account or it will keep the license and disappear from the web portal.. You can PowerShell the license away but that's still a pain unless you are already managing the licenses via PowerShell.
    Now that little gotcha is exactly why I am refusing to 'just get it done' with out some planning and decent testing thanks for the heads up.
    p.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

This week has sucked ass.

End of last week we realised that the 17,000 folder DFS replicated file server cluster was struggling - the staging volumes were too small, and the number of root folders too high, so over time it fell on the floor. In a perfect storm, on Monday/Tuesday a remediating GPO to re-route users based on their site fucked up, trashing some home document folders, then the ESXi host holding the file server crashed, killing the file server entirely.

When it came back up, the queues were nice and clear and it proceeded to overwrite about a thousand student's folders with blank / bad data.

Since then (Thank god it's Friday) I've had to deal with MIS, to split students into Sites more accurately, build a new folder structure, re-apply GPO's for folder redirection to do group-based folder re-direction (Which is really neat), move unnecessary folders out of the main homes shares, remove 9,000 student accounts we don't need, tidy the folder structure, then do a find/compare/restore from a Veeam live-clone of the broken file server from friday, to restore ~900 student's work.

I'm shattered, but it should now be done.

Think i'm going to have to take the afternoon off to recover!

Code:
    ---------------
    Folders OK: 4339.
    Bad Folders 'fixed':  562.
    Last edited by Itiken; February 1 2019 at 08:39:11 AM.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

For bulk storage of CFD modelling data and 1Gbps iscsi or 10Gbps 5 or 6 workstations generating data (perfmon shows about 300kbps data write per running model) I want to say must be 10Gbps just because, but i know the actual data write speeds are not going to crimp 1Gbos. Only issue does the 1Gbps massively limit day to day data operations / disk access.
    It's 2019. Pay for the extra 10g. It's very useful.
    I would push for the most expensive option with the middle / slower tiered disks as a fallback.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    It's 2019. Pay for the extra 10g. It's very useful.
    I would push for the most expensive option with the middle / slower tiered disks as a fallback.
    So apart from it being 2019, read and write rate aren't the best for working out the speed your storage should be. You need to look more at burst data rates.

Today I have broken out Vcenter web client by trying to domain sign it's certificate. I think I know what needs to be done to fix it but now I'm gun shy so I've logged a fault..

Vmware tech has fixed my fuckup. I was correct in what needed to be done to fix it but one of our extensions was getting in the way of it, so I'm not sure if I would have worked that but out on my own.

Long story short, don't replace the wrong certificate..

>2019
    >x509 is still a shitpile

This week i've been doing PEAP-TLS RADIUS auth for wireless. Done it before, and never really got a proper handle on what and why, it would just start working, then stop.
    Over half term i'm planning to rip out 20+ SSID's over 3 campuses, and replace them with a single "Corp name - Site" SSID on each, with dynamic vlan assignments coming from the RADIUS/NPS servers, all using end-to end TLS encryption and official certificates.

Hold my beer

>2019
    >x509 is still a shitpile

This week i've been doing PEAP-TLS RADIUS auth for wireless. Done it before, and never really got a proper handle on what and why, it would just start working, then stop.
    Over half term i'm planning to rip out 20+ SSID's over 3 campuses, and replace them with a single "Corp name - Site" SSID on each, with dynamic vlan assignments coming from the RADIUS/NPS servers, all using end-to end TLS encryption and official certificates.

Hold my beer
    F

For some reason routers randomly destroy themselves around me. Last one was giving me issues because of interference despite being around nothing at all. I'm hoping you got all my good luck.

Just had a row with a fucking developer who insists that the proper solution to their program not being allowed to send mail from 'anyone' via 365 is to implement a fucking local mail relay on the box, and whitelist it.

I suggested they follow SMTP RFC standards and use the "reply to" concept, but apparently telling me to build more infrastructure to support their shitty product is better than following standards.

Though i do enjoy the thread of "we may just start using another product" when you are their largest single customer.
    2 weeks later, their patch notes say thus:
    Sending eMails from eTrackr we have had some instances where eTrackr is unable to send
    emails using the email address of the currently logged in User. This only applies when
    sending from the My Students, Enter Scores, Action Plans and Career Plans pages and does
    not affect all colleges. Attached Notes and CFCs use a default college email address when
    sending and we have added a new configuration parameter to allow these other emails to
    be sent in the same way.
    Seems that someone in the dev team noticed they were being retarded when forging email from addresses and decoded to fix it.