hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 415 of 421 FirstFirst ... 315365405412413414415416417418 ... LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,300 of 8418

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

You're welcome.

Given how fast you solved your issue, you at least seem to be able to follow the pre-requisits/recommendations given by the very author of the tool.

When our group folks tried to resolve replication issues, they insisted that all subdomains run it, each on its DC, though none of those DCs has the rights to connect to any other DC.

[Added]
    When I pointed out that we should perhaps follow the suggestions by the author of the tool, it was dismissed the first time around. Sure, what does the programmer of it know if its inner workings and prerequists anyhow? Let's imply brute-force it and pray that the replication issues will magically be solved.
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; June 11 2018 at 02:04:14 PM.

lulwhat?

i actually didn't' read anything beyond the basic UI, set all dropdowns to "scan all", found the faulty DC and 10 stuck objects, and pressed "LOLCLEANUP" and lo.. it worked.

how are people so bad ?

Have you read the famous MS blog post: You are not smarter than the KCC ??
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Not sure if I posted it here already, but it's some (real life) humor, which nicely fits this thread's title.

https://www.chroniclesofgeorge.com/tickets1.html

Today's diversion from having a real job is Email Encryption.
    Turns out, if you are on O365 then you can click a few buttons on your O365 admin dashboard and 'It Just Works'.

I'm looking forward to finding hilarious ways this fucking breaks the shit out of my life

This afternoon I decided to expose a 15 year old mail relay to the Internet.. It's a simple mail server that accepts 2 email addresses and just blindly forwards them to 2 other addresses on a real mail server (because reasons)..

Our anti-spam gateway got pissed off with it at about the same time we migrated everything else to 365 so it's been broken for ages.. Let's see if it survives the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Today's diversion from having a real job is Email Encryption.
    Turns out, if you are on O365 then you can click a few buttons on your O365 admin dashboard and 'It Just Works'.

I'm looking forward to finding hilarious ways this fucking breaks the shit out of my life
    Like, everyone who doesn't use O365 will just get a winmail.dat file.
    meh

haha
    Turns out they get a link to open the email securely through a MS portal.

This is relevant to my interests. I am preparing to convince my colleagues that we switch to O365 education (the free plan with web only word etc) and that is a feature that would be a great argument for it.

How good do you think is that encryption?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Better than anything you'll ever cook up. Encryption isn't about the actual encryption. Encryption is the easy bit. Encryption is all about defining and managing your boundary and then securely managing your keys. Assuming you are ok with letting MS do that for you, they're going to do a far, far better job of it than you ever will.

O365 also has some pretty neat features around preventing downloads and limiting access to resources based on where the access is coming from. It's fairly straightforward to both allow your staff to work from any device but prevent them from (easily) extracting materials onto those devices.

Microsoft products: actually not terrible any more.

The one quirk to be aware of is that you'll have a choice between O365 and O365 Germany, which is a distinct product run by T Systems. The same goes for Azure. It's got some quirks that the vanilla ("Global") product doesn't have, and is usually a little way behind in feature terms, but in return your data is only ever held in Germany by a German company.
    Last edited by elmicker; June 13 2018 at 05:04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    This is relevant to my interests. I am preparing to convince my colleagues that we switch to O365 education (the free plan with web only word etc) and that is a feature that would be a great argument for it.
    Just do it.

I can give you PM endorsements but tldr: I run IT for the (soon to be) largest college group in London, 3rd largest in the UK, and our migration to ExchangeOnline and O365 has been the best thing ever for our departments. Merging multiple colleges into O365? Easy. Managing thousands of users? Easy. They are developing suites of data management tools around GDPR and giving them away for free to education A1 customers. Having *flick on* encryption for emails is the sort of cool feature that makes us really happy.

As a mail server admin, i don't miss admin'ing the minutae of mail servers, but still have enough fiddling to stop me getting bored.

Re: the Datacenter thing, the same is valid for the UK. we are flagged as Uk only, so our data (allegedly) never leaves these terrible, Tory encrusted shores.

honestly just do it

Re: the Datacenter thing, the same is valid for the UK. we are flagged as Uk only, so our data (allegedly) never leaves these terrible, Tory encrusted shores.
    Similar, but not the same. You'll just be using the specific UK-based regions with agreements never to move the data (e.g. if using WASB, ADLS for storage). Azure Germany and O365 Germany are completely independent companies using the Microsoft name and technology under a franchise.

But yes, the migration tooling MS have in place is rather slick. It's actually caused me bother because our product has, for quite some time, abused some of the more niche quirks of Active Directory to get its job done, but Azure AD actively prevents this and the migration tools give you some nice glaring red text telling you that it's exactly our fault

Well the education plan isn't the Germany plan but should be good enough. When I cook up a presentation on this for my colleagues and other stakeholders (the parents and students are far more reasonable) I will definitely quote y'all for that I would prefer something better than some nick, but we get to that when it's time.

Right now every teacher uses private email accounts with various providers. The rules set by state data protection officers state that if we send sensitive information, it needs to be in a password protected word or pdf file, with the password sent in a different email. And our principal technically has to approve every personal device we handle data on (down to USB sticks).
    nevar forget

Just be cautious that the default data residency guarantee for MS Global's German regions (i.e. the ones directly run by MS) is "Stored at rest in Europe". It's likely there will be cold copies of any of your data made outside of the main region you choose.

The exceptions to this are the explicitly named national regions, i.e. UK South, UK West, France Central, France South, Switzerland North and Switzerland West. If you want guaranteed data residency in Germany it'll need to be an Azure/O365 Germany subscription.

If that isn't going to be an issue then just use the default MS subscription. My experience is that MS's support is way better than MS Germany's.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Just be cautious that the default data residency guarantee for MS Global's German regions (i.e. the ones directly run by MS) is "Stored at rest in Europe". It's likely there will be cold copies of any of your data made outside of the main region you choose.

The exceptions to this are the explicitly named national regions, i.e. UK South, UK West, France Central, France South, Switzerland North and Switzerland West. If you want guaranteed data residency in Germany it'll need to be an Azure/O365 Germany subscription.

If that isn't going to be an issue then just use the default MS subscription. My experience is that MS's support is way better than MS Germany's.
    Well our budget for this is (no surprise here) about €0, so it will have to do.
    nevar forget

Well the education plan isn't the Germany plan but should be good enough. When I cook up a presentation on this for my colleagues and other stakeholders (the parents and students are far more reasonable) I will definitely quote y'all for that I would prefer something better than some nick, but we get to that when it's time.
    Let the software speak for itself: create the presentation in PowerPoint online and present it in the online version, that is: just using the browser.

One word of warning, though. It's harder to figure out errors/strange behavior with the online version. We here admin that for 3 different countries for not that many users (300+). And ever now and then, a user's email behaves erratically. Being browser version, that could be a local (caching) problem, but MS is also constantly pushing out new features and updates to its cloud services. And depending on where that user's stuff is actually hosted, he might experience issues, but no one else. Because e.g. his mailbox is just being moved from one server to another in preparation for the original server to be patched/updated. And that causes delay for his mailbox, while everyone else in your team is unaffected (=currently not on that server).

With an on-premise (aka "local") installation, you'd know that you're doing maintenance and most likely have users notified about that in advance. With moving to the cloud, you're left with reacting to it.

Another irritating point (from an admin POV): those issues come and go without being able to determine that actual cause, something every admin/developer hates, because it reinforces the all-to-widely spread "IT is magic" cliche...

Yes - there's plenty of notifications from MS in the admin portal. But that often amounts to information overload.

And a final note: the online versions of the MS Office applications are very RAM hungry, so make sure the machines are equipped appropriately. Otherwise the experience for the users will be very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post

To spell it out what elmicker refers to: make sure the plan you're picking up is GDPR compatible.

The good news is that's exactly what it costs.
    If you currently run mail services in house, it's a net gain.
    No more bandwidth for activesync / OWA. No more server costs. No more backup infrastructure.

's easy

And a final note: the online versions of the MS Office applications are very RAM hungry, so make sure the machines are equipped appropriately. Otherwise the experience for the users will be very disappointing.
    we've deployed Office2016 desktop and it's integration is pretty fine.

With "online" I was referring to the browser-based (E1 lics, in the standard/non-educational subscription scheme) Office applications, the one Joe mentioned initially. That license doesn't include the desktop versions of Office applications.

Well our budget for this is (no surprise here) about 0, so it will have to do.
    The good news is that's exactly what it costs.
    If you currently run mail services in house, it's a net gain.
    No more bandwidth for activesync / OWA. No more server costs. No more backup infrastructure.

's easy

we've deployed Office2016 desktop and it's integration is pretty fine.
    I'm not intending to really move users to MS Office for office programs in the school buildig, as we got Libre Office installed everywhere and we run some weird imaging stuff (proprietary for schools in Germany) on older desktops. Our old IT teacher (who still helps out in his retirement) has a knack to find 'old' hardware that other city departments phase out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    With "online" I was referring to the browser-based (E1 lics, in the standard/non-educational subscription scheme) Office applications, the one Joe mentioned initially. That license doesn't include the desktop versions of Office applications.
    Right now our server handles three email addresses (principal, his office, front office) next to the imaging servicing. Our IT guy said he couldn't get more emails out of the system if he tried to. I assume it's both bandwidth and server power related. The net gain is insane. Everyone gets their own email.

Is there a way to use PowerPoint Online without an active subscription? Because I can't sign the school up before people saying OK.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Is there a way to use PowerPoint Online without an active subscription? Because I can't sign the school up before people saying OK.
    Tapapapatalk
    You can get a free 30 day subscription to O365 to get the basic work done.

The A1 install gives everyone subscribed 5 installs of office too, so you can i think have desktop office, for free, at work and people can install it at home too.
    You'll need to find a reseller though, and do the "we are a school" *sends Fax on headed paper&* dance for a few days, but yeah, it's just that simple.

Whenever we run low on licenses, i email this bloke and more just appear. For extra bonus stuff, you can also provide free Office / Office365 to all your students.