hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 412 of 413 FirstFirst ... 312362402409410411412413 LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,240 of 8242

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Are we talking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Pr...overy_Protocol ?

Edit: apparently that doesn't support automated authentication, but some people have written local proxy tools to authenticate to true remote proxies to get around this.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; April 11 2018 at 10:02:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I think I need to start a blog or something.. The Mac side of the script is now done. I modified it slightly so it checks if the user is a domain user or a local user and just quits if they are local (otherwise it starts spamming the login window which sucks). I have it setup so it runs on every users login (through LaunchAgents so its not account specific) and it appears to have no issues. If the users is local it exist. If the computer isn't on the domain it has a bunch of try blocks to stop it spamming them..

The domain side of the script is coming along nicely. I found some guys code that will get a list of all the AD groups a user is in. The code was a little bit broken so I have fixed it and now my script will check a big array at the top of the script and if the user is in the corresponding group will map that drive for them. I'm trying to work out if I can label the mounts so they include the windows drive letter but it doesnt look like I can. Other than that, I just need to add all of our network mounts in to the script.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Oh, I got a question for you guys. Our school wifi has a mandatory proxy we need to use and to activate it I have a script as I wanted to automate that. However to run the script it asks for the administrator password to make the change.

(The proxy is in the settings, I just set the flag to proxy on basically.)
    Is that a one time task or need the script to run at every logon?

Also if you're running a AD domain and the machines are members of the domain: GPO(s). This will take care of IE. FF >= version 60.x can also be managed by GPO/a settings file

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    The domain side of the script is coming along nicely. I found some guys code that will get a list of all the AD groups a user is in. The code was a little bit broken so I have fixed it and now my script will check a big array at the top of the script and if the user is in the corresponding group will map that drive for them. I'm trying to work out if I can label the mounts so they include the windows drive letter but it doesnt look like I can. Other than that, I just need to add all of our network mounts in to the script.
    FYI: for Windows scripting, it's worth to browse https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/. Might give you some ideas as how to approach a task or even the fitting script for the task (minus the necessary local modifications).

I think I need to start a blog or something.
    Just put it on GitHub like a normal person.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    no he should start a blog so we can all not read it

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    FYI: for Windows scripting, it's worth to browse https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/. Might give you some ideas as how to approach a task or even the fitting script for the task (minus the necessary local modifications).
    I can already windows script.. I've had 20 years of managing windows and I've gotten pretty good at it. I do occasionally find new and clever ways to do things I hadn't thought of before, but at least on windows I just try and do it myself first off.

The issue I've been finding is there is very very little information on integrating MacOS in to a Windows domain. The vast majority of people seem to treat MacOS like it's unmanagable or needs to be managed by some magic service someone else made for you. I'm quickly learning this isn't true and they can integrate pretty well, it's just no one really bothers to do it because they are either a mac admin that doesnt care about windows or a windows admin that doesnt care about mac..

While GitHub is good for the code it doesnt include an explanation of why things are being done this way or that and what the issues are. I'm not writing software, I'm managing an environment for the users.

While GitHub is good for the code it doesnt include an explanation of why things are being done this way or that and what the issues are. I'm not writing software, I'm managing an environment for the users.
    * code comments
    * README.md

Hell, create a GitHub.io page if you feel like you need to write an essay.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

* code comments
    * README.md

You're an idiot..

I can already windows script.. I've had 20 years of managing windows and I've gotten pretty good at it. I do occasionally find new and clever ways to do things I hadn't thought of before, but at least on windows I just try and do it myself first off.
    That (=learning (Windows) scripting) wasn't my point and I might not made myself clear. What I meant to say was that I find it a good resource for finding out which (COM) objects might be available to solve the task at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Oh, I got a question for you guys. Our school wifi has a mandatory proxy we need to use and to activate it I have a script as I wanted to automate that. However to run the script it asks for the administrator password to make the change.

(The proxy is in the settings, I just set the flag to proxy on basically.)
    Is that a one time task or need the script to run at every logon?

Also if you're running a AD domain and the machines are members of the domain: GPO(s). This will take care of IE. FF >= version 60.x can also be managed by GPO/a settings file
    Not every logon as such, currently I run the script manually (which is like one click less than delving into the settings). And I have 0 control over the domain or any network infrastructure whatsoever. Also, IE? Do you mean Safari? (we were talking about MacBooks and Apple's scripting language) and I don't use FF either.

IIRC Windows is capable of storing proxy info per network and not globally for all connections, which neither Android nor MacOS do out of the box afaik.
    nevar forget

* code comments
    * README.md

You're an idiot..
    No, actually, he isn't. Github has pretty good lightweight ticketing and wiki functionality built in that has the extremely useful property of being able to exist ALONGSIDE the code. This means if you put you code in a directory structure, you can put a "README.md" in that directory along with whatever, code, scripts, and have documentation no one has to ask anyone how to find, automatically rendered as they browse the code tree. Add to that a structured engineering process where you are actually using pull requests and you can encode your entire decision making process in there, in a pretty decent and easy to read way. This doesn't remove the need for ticketing, but you can certainly augment that and keep perfectly acceptable docs in there.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    * code comments
    * README.md

You're an idiot..
    No, actually, he isn't. Github has pretty good lightweight ticketing and wiki functionality built in that has the extremely useful property of being able to exist ALONGSIDE the code. This means if you put you code in a directory structure, you can put a "README.md" in that directory along with whatever, code, scripts, and have documentation no one has to ask anyone how to find, automatically rendered as they browse the code tree. Add to that a structured engineering process where you are actually using pull requests and you can encode your entire decision making process in there, in a pretty decent and easy to read way. This doesn't remove the need for ticketing, but you can certainly augment that and keep perfectly acceptable docs in there.
    And if it can't be public then look at gitlab for a similar process and interface.

Whatever you choose I'd strongly recommend putting your code in source control, for the huge range of benefits you get from it.

* code comments
    * README.md

You're an idiot..
    Shit even I knew that.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    * code comments
    * README.md

You're an idiot..
    And if it can't be public then look at gitlab for a similar process and interface.

Whatever you choose I'd strongly recommend putting your code in source control, for the huge range of benefits you get from it.
    Actually, paying for github, even on a personal level, isn't that pricey. I grew up in an era where things like clearcase owned this market.
    meh

* code comments
    * README.md

You're an idiot..
    For code.

I'm not talking about this one shitty script. I'm talking about the whole process of properly integrating macos in to a Windows domain with a description on all the pitfalls and gotchas and how to get around them.

Very little of this info is going to be code.

* code comments
    * README.md

You're an idiot..
    For code.

I'm not talking about this one shitty script. I'm talking about the whole process of properly integrating macos in to a Windows domain with a description on all the pitfalls and gotchas and how to get around them.

Then a series of blog posts would be awesome for that. Using github pages and jekyll or something else.

* code comments
    * README.md

You're an idiot..
    For code.

I have to agree with the folks suggesting Github (or similar) for it, if you want to publish (even the ltiitle that you've got) the various scripts/configs/<source code alike files> with it and make it easy for others to pull that stuff (or contributing to it).

MarkDown provides enough formatting to do a decent enough job for blog-like writing. And as it allows for links, too, it can be used to connect one "blog entry" to another. With the added benefit of being able to locally create/maintain the blog entries and versioning 'em also.

Forgive me if I'm being dumb, but storing hashed passwords without salting isn't a bit like storing them unencrypted nowadays?

I mean, if somebody is keen on getting the list, if it's hashed or plain text is kinda like similar a bit?

Genuine question pls don't shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Depends on the hash algo used, some take far more effort to pre-generated tables for, even if every use of the same password would result in the same hash. But yes GPGPUs can beast through such data.
    Also, some algos/language functions are build for passwords and automatically handle the salting for you. E.g. PHP now has password_hash() and password_verify(), that default to bcrypt and automatically handles salting via the output's encoding, so systems don't need to be altered to handle storing that in a different table column.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.