hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 411 of 420 FirstFirst ... 311361401408409410411412413414 ... LastLast
Results 8,201 to 8,220 of 8394

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Today I'm the only IT person on site.. I'm doing pretty well considering I haven't supported desktops in like 10 years.
    bwahahaha. Hopefully you get to do something arcane to a printer. liek change the staples.
    (This occasionally happens to me. Again i've not fixed these thigns for a decade or more.)
    Toner swap? Close enough? I dont think this thing even has a stapler..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Today I'm the only IT person on site.. I'm doing pretty well considering I haven't supported desktops in like 10 years.
    bwahahaha. Hopefully you get to do something arcane to a printer. liek change the staples.
    (This occasionally happens to me. Again i've not fixed these thigns for a decade or more.)
    But do the users think it has a stapler?
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

But do the users think it has a stapler?

I prefer calls from remote locations, where a workstation has not physical network connection (for whatever reason), and the calling user insists that we help them and no amount of explanation can convince them that there's PHYSICAL ON SITE problem and that we can't reach through the phone and check the cabeling (IT is black magic arts, as we all know). We of course then become rated as "not helpful".

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I prefer calls from remote locations, where a workstation has not physical network connection (for whatever reason), and the calling user insists that we help them and no amount of explanation can convince them that there's PHYSICAL ON SITE problem and that we can't reach through the phone and check the cabeling (IT is black magic arts, as we all know). We of course then become rated as "not helpful".
    I did quite well.. No one died and some people even got a working computer after a few hours.

I did get a message to reset someones password while I was on lunch and was smart enough to check with them it hadnt unlocked in the 45 mins it took before I got back to my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I did quite well.. No one died and some people even got a working computer after a few hours.

I did get a message to reset someones password while I was on lunch and was smart enough to check with them it hadnt unlocked in the 45 mins it took before I got back to my desk.

No one died
    Mediocre.gif
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    No one died
    Mediocre.gif
    People will die today if I'm the only one again.. I need to move our gateway router in the rack to fit our new switches in..

Today, because my new management are in to self abuse, I'm trying to quickly learn Applescript and automator. The end goal will be a login script that auto maps the network resources, but more importantly updates it's self from the domain so we don't have to push it to every mac every time we update it.

So far things are slow going.

Today, because my new management are in to self abuse, I'm trying to quickly learn Applescript and automator. The end goal will be a login script that auto maps the network resources, but more importantly updates it's self from the domain so we don't have to push it to every mac every time we update it.

Install PS Core and use that instead?

goodluck.jpg.
    it's close to impossible as you can't pass userland variables to scripts which run at startup as they have system privileges (so AutoFS won't do it) and getting userland scripts to map can go fuck itself. Literally with a spoon. for applescript objects you have to embed them in multiple containers then push those out using some shitty fucking mac remoting product, then they are impossible to edit.

Unless you have one of those crazy beardy-weirdo's who can do it magically installed already you are probably fucked.

We ended up paying for someone to go on a jamf course to manage this shit, and it's a 3 line jamf login profile script.

There's a reason literally everyone just uses jamf.

Well.. It's working so I don't know what you lot are doing..

Script on the Mac runs at logon and connects to the domain netlogon share, from there it pulls the contents of a directory (called osx) to the local machine in to a temp directory. It then executes the 'master' script. Once it's done it unmaps netlogon and deleted the temp folder. Any issues (like it not being on the network) it silently exits.

The master script can be updated as needed in the normal logon script location. Currently it runs through a list of shares and if the user is in the appropriate AD group it maps that share. I need to rework this so it's easier to manage.

Currently the only issue is the stupid way Finder shows connected servers but not the share and a bunch of ours are hidden so the user can't see them.. I'm thinking that's fixable though I just ran out of time today.

Edit: oh, we are using jamf now (the cheap one) for patch management but it's pretty limited. I tried to do all of the above in automator but it wouldn't map the shares so it's all in Applescript. I'm still getting my head around it but the basics are making sense now.
    Last edited by Lana Torrin; April 11 2018 at 09:49:12 AM.

are you mapping home dirs ? \\fileserver.domain\home\username ?

are you mapping home dirs ? \\fileserver.domain\home\username ?
    I'm not because we only have a couple of users with one and they aren't going to have Macs, but OSX will actually map your home drive out of the box (assuming its set in AD correctly). Buuuuttt.. It would be pretty easy to do so.

R U A Wizzard ??

Oh, I got a question for you guys. Our school wifi has a mandatory proxy we need to use and to activate it I have a script as I wanted to automate that. However to run the script it asks for the administrator password to make the change.

(The proxy is in the settings, I just set the flag to proxy on basically.)

Is there a way to get around the password check? Maybe even automate it to start up / log in?

I'd be happy with a very concise tutorial.

Thanks guys!

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    a similar thing to joe, our corporate wifi has a login thing - is there any way for me to tell my phone to just automagically put in username/pw when my phone gets the prompt push note?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Oh, I got a question for you guys. Our school wifi has a mandatory proxy we need to use and to activate it I have a script as I wanted to automate that. However to run the script it asks for the administrator password to make the change.

Is there a way to get around the password check? Maybe even automate it to start up / log in?

Thanks guys!

Tapapapatalk
    you could add the script to the task scheduler then tell it to run with an admin account, you would need to know the admin credentials though

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    a similar thing to joe, our corporate wifi has a login thing - is there any way for me to tell my phone to just automagically put in username/pw when my phone gets the prompt push note?
    prolly not idk

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Thanks guys!

Tapapapatalk
    you could add the script to the task scheduler then tell it to run with an admin account, you would need to know the admin credentials though

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    prolly not idk
    My own MacBook, so credentials aren't an issue. I'll try that, also will put in a check (if...then) whether it's in my home wifi or the school wifi.
    nevar forget