hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 421 of 425 FirstFirst ... 321371411418419420421422423424 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,420 of 8491

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    You can fix this but I cant remember how...

The startup tasks run as system. The "run at startup" jobs and Logon / Logoff stuff runs at user context.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    my work invested in a shiny brand new epos & online sales system, avec dedicated systems person a year or so ago. i was slightly involved because i understand that turning things on and off again is a good step to trying to fix something and i have a penchant for pointing out when something is stupid.

said systems person has since departed for a non-retarded and better paid job, and we're soon to roll into 'stage 2 rollout' of said system, and i'm being lightly prodded to be the go between for provider and work

pls kill me
    lmao rip
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    my work invested in a shiny brand new epos & online sales system, avec dedicated systems person a year or so ago. i was slightly involved because i understand that turning things on and off again is a good step to trying to fix something and i have a penchant for pointing out when something is stupid.

said systems person has since departed for a non-retarded and better paid job, and we're soon to roll into 'stage 2 rollout' of said system, and i'm being lightly prodded to be the go between for provider and work

pls kill me
    "Press F to pay respects"
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

pls kill me
    lmao rip
    i have tried to point out that epos and real-time reporting and esales is typically a full time job for someone that actually has a fucking clue but alas...

Starting a job with 'I don't know the first thing about this' is always fun (dorf fun). It also never gives you enough leeway to learn as you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

pls kill me
    lmao rip
    i have tried to point out that epos and real-time reporting and esales is typically a full time job for someone that actually has a fucking clue but alas...
    Do you have a manager? Ask how they realistically expect you to juggle it with your existing workload etc. Basically make it a pain in the ass for as many people above you in the food chain as possible.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-top-companies

Pretty big news today, apparently server hardware that was manufactured in China and used in sensitive operations in the US was compromised by Chinese intelligence using a hardware backdoor.

Yeh, just finished reading that. Scary stuff. Well, except this:
    Two of Elementalís biggest early clients were the Mormon church, which used the technology to beam sermons to congregations around the world, and the adult film industry, which did not.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

heh

Yeah I just posted this in the cyber security thread whoops <_<;

~ I did enjoy that the first thing they did in response was ... just hack the CnC server the chips dial out to, to see what they were doing with them.

Except that every company involved says its completely made up.. I mean they would say that but still.

Isn't this exactly what the US were doing via HP / Cisco ?
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Let's not forget that time they probably compromised every sim and smartcard on the planet. That was fun.

Since it came up in a different thread: this is nothing new and intelligence agencies love that.

When the USA built a new embassy in Moscow in the 70s (iirc, during the Cold War for sure) using local labor, the building was unusable. The whole construction was basically one huge microphone and antenna. Everything was bugged, some stuff used advanced microphone and antenna tech the US didn't even have.
    When China ordered a 747 as their presidential machine, they took one look at the plane upon delivery and noted it was bugged. Not just a bit bugged. But US-embassy-in-Moscow bugged. They put the plane into regular airline use and ordered an Airbus. Apparently that one wasn't bugged, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Stuxnet is a well known story, a simple virus released en masse to target a single computer (or a small number of machines.)
    In the 80s the Soviets used a Western computer chip to control valves on a pipeline. The chips came with a flaw that would cause one main valve to close. That caused one of the biggest non-nuclear explosions ever.

Those are just some examples of the top of my head.

I totally expect this to have happened as described in the article.
    nevar forget

Dear advertisers of this world,

why do you even bother to use a mass mailing software which generates unique bounce reply-to email addresses so that the software could automatically weed out no longer valid email addresses from your database, WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN ACCEPT THESE BOUNCED EMAILS?

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

why do you even bother to use a mass mailing software which generates unique bounce reply-to email addresses so that the software could automatically weed out no longer valid email addresses from your database, WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN ACCEPT THESE BOUNCED EMAILS?
    I'm laughing because I've pointed that out to our marketing team more than once

Hell they don't even use our domain name for bounces which trips up probably 90% of anti-spam software (reply-to and from are not on the same domain, probably spam right?). Apparently they know best and wont listen to me. Even OUR anti-spam catches our own marketing material most of the time.

Hell they don't even use our domain name for bounces which trips up probably 90% of anti-spam software (reply-to and from are not on the same domain, probably spam right?). Apparently they know best and wont listen to me. Even OUR anti-spam catches our own marketing material most of the time.
    Same here.

If our markting material gets caught in our spam filters, we in IT need to "make it so it works". Just like you, I tried to explain that if it happens here, it might also happen at a customer's site, and that we can't fix that. You know how well that went ...

Being a technically minded marketing person is my USP. Please don't educate the other idiots in my profession.

Same here.

If our markting material gets caught in our spam filters, we in IT need to "make it so it works". Just like you, I tried to explain that if it happens here, it might also happen at a customer's site, and that we can't fix that. You know how well that went ...
    We get the same thing. Guess the only advantage of them not tracking bounces is they don't find out how badly they are doing. We literally have a guy whos job it is to make these types of campaign work and he has no idea what hes doing, so they never do and weeks after the fact we have to investigate. Every time its the same conversation.

Your marketing automation suite should be doing all that for you.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Your marketing automation suite should be doing all that for you.