hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 381 of 381 FirstFirst ... 281331371378379380381
Results 7,601 to 7,608 of 7608

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    [...] it gets in the way of AV updates
    What AV is that, if I may ask? Because all the ones I know handle such kind of things via a service that they install with administrative privilegues, wehn the client itself is installed.

Or is "AV updates" in this case an euphemism for "copy&past AV signature files across to clients"?
    No it's Solarwinds stuff I assumed it must not have been installed correctly on a lot of machines because UAC shouldn't be getting in the way of the agent updates if it has the right privileges in the first place

Fun fact.. Windows dhcp is pretty bad but functional.. I would prefer a Unix dhcp server as well
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Fun fact.. Windows dhcp is pretty bad but functional.. I would prefer a Unix dhcp server as well
    funz fax, the Windows DHCP server, while quite far down the "not great" road does manage DNS registration properly, unlike dhcpd meaning using one allows you to actually use DNS scavenging with older unix based shitboxes that go "yea, im not going to bother updating my DNS record at regular intervals out of the box"
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    funz fax, the Windows DHCP server, while quite far down the "not great" road does manage DNS registration properly, unlike dhcpd meaning using one allows you to actually use DNS scavenging with older unix based shitboxes that go "yea, im not going to bother updating my DNS record at regular intervals out of the box"
    It does.. It also fucked it up from time to time and scavenges static DNS addresses but we dont need to go in to that (plus I think it might have been a 2003 thing and is fixed now, i havent seen it in quite a few years). Its also surprisingly configurable and allows you to add your own defines, but it hides all that stuff away really well.

By pretty bad I mean it does some crazy shit sometimes.. Like defaulting to an 8 day lease, or starting the leases half way through the IP range, or handing the same machine a new IP when it asks for a new IP half way through its lease for no good reason, or not being able to set a different static IP to a MAC that already has a dynamic IP.. None of these are deal breakers but they can be slightly annoying at times.. The real dealbreaker used to be no DHCP failover, but thats all working now and works quite well.

No, that's bullshit. It works fine if its configured properly, which includes how the client handles itself.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    No, that's bullshit. It works fine if its configured properly, which includes how the client handles itself.
    you're a funny man, expecting well behaved DHCP clients, call me when you hit the real world and find out that the vast majority can barely manage to get a request off without committing suicide, crashing, corrupting the datagram or plain SEG-FAULT'ing the entire fucking computer in the process.

also, i am no longer a Infrastructure Engineer :feelsgoodman:
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    you're a funny man, expecting well behaved DHCP clients, call me when you hit the real world and find out that the vast majority can barely manage to get a request off without committing suicide, crashing, corrupting the datagram or plain SEG-FAULT'ing the entire fucking computer in the process.

Well done brother, you are free.

My favorite is Ciscos shitty excuse for a DHCP server and how it interacts with the dhcp client in their top of the line edge routers, but, thats not your problem anymore.
    meh

Official hatred is official then! Well done you ass hole.