hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 426 of 430 FirstFirst ... 326376416423424425426427428429 ... LastLast
Results 8,501 to 8,520 of 8597

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

blindows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Have been asked to provide the CFD guys here with some more storage (at least 20-30TB+ and I am not giving that much of my current SAN set up for running VM's from) for their working models and a bit of archiving (though only the setup files are critical any data loss of results can be recreated if needed) but with a limited budget~5k-10k, while doing this I am going to reorganise their use of the Computational workstations to make them a little more flexible.

Right now we are utilising ~30% of our capacity but we have close to 100% usage jobs don't tend to be big enough to scale to all of the available hardware but they limit them-selves to logging on with personal accounts and not more than 2 (win 10) per machine and stick to a single machine for all their work. changing this to shared Processing account just for running jobs with a network drive attached to all workstations to run the jobs from and too more flexibility in changing hardware and less limitations on access (plus when you can see the other jobs running you know if you can run yours on that hardware as well).

Too this end I need lots of cheap storage and the ability to host network shares (no i-scsi) Dell charge 1k+ for a single 10TB SAS drive and are notorious for refusing tech support if you use non-certified drives (even if the drives have nothing to do with the fault). So I am looking at refurbished hardware with off the shelf enterprise drives, I can get a dell R730xd 12x3.5"+2xflexi bays (inc 6x10TB drives) for around 4k5 the side benefit is another 16 cores that they can run the odd job on when needed easy network drive assignment if running windows etc and some more expansion room (6 bays and add some expansion boxes later on if needed). Any other suggestions? cheap San gear that can some how run SMB? or good NAS gear?

Lastly I am considering upgrading the workstations to 10Gb though I doubt 1Gb will bottle neck on the amount of data that is written. Looking at a Cisco 40xSFP+ switch for 250 (N5K-C5020P-BF) but it is EOL 2017 any comments? or a 16port Dell X4012 for ~600

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

It's Christmas V2 in the college IT office where we've just taken delivery of:
    - New backup server w.48tb usable local storage + LTO7 tape library
    - 3x Hyperconverged ESXi / vSan hosts w.48tb flash accellerated storage and a ton of memory/CPU

Perfect timing too as our old backup server has died on its arse yesterday after being on life support for a week.

It's going to be a very jolly week for my juniors.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

@talin.

The backup server we just received would do the job for you, it was 10k and has 8x8tb SAS drives in, a pair of fiber uplinks, and all the other bits you'd expect. if you want i can send you the spec ? Jsut slap windows 201x on it, or any flavor of linux with SMB 3 and you are good to go.

10gb to the edge is a very edge case. almost always totally pointless as you hit disk r/w performance before you can fill the 10gb of network unless you are using really super speeds. making sure your backend can handle multiple writes at 1gb is going to be better for you in the long term. A top tier fo flash acceleration may help, but depending on what people are read/writing, and how often it's read back, even that may be pointless.

The cheaper the gear, the worse it is. A cheapo QSAN will not give the same performance as a 10k hyperconverged flash accelerated monster server (With spare cores for jobs).

We got a new vsan system before before xmas that sounds kinda similar to that... 3 nodes, 190TB flash accelerated storage (half it for actual capacity because node redundancy) with enough cpu and ram to run the whole company on horizon (which i still need to demo before we can get that paid for). Only thing we were missing was a new backup server.. We got some local disks for one of our old ESX servers so it now has 12TB local storage, and I got to use the old SAN as secondary storage (so another 20TB in that). Still using the old LTO5 tape drive.. Takes all weekend to copy the backup to tape and I had to cut a bunch of things out of it (dont need tape backups of servers I can rebuild or static data we have in other places)..

Which takes me to my week so far.. I have been trying to build a gold image of windows 10 to fit in to my new shiny horizon environment.. I have come to the conclusion that it was easier to build the entire VDI infrastructure than it has been to build 1 image that doesnt constantly fuck up. I have ALMOST got it to the point where its useable but I need to get user data pulled off the VMs before they get destroyed (user lifecycle stuff). Trying to use persona manager from vmware but it turns out it's a pile of balls.. I think tomorrow i'm going to build a new Win10 image and play with windows roaming desktops and folder redirections instead.
    Last edited by Lana Torrin; January 10 2019 at 10:15:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

fuck persona management
    roaming profiles + folder redirection are shitty, but better.
    redirecting appdata instead of roaming profies is better, but breaks some apps, eg Photoshop.

And welcome to the wonderful world of Win10 golden images. it's horrific, then you get it running, and it breaks VoV. hence why we are going LTSB.
    Last edited by Itiken; January 10 2019 at 10:34:00 AM.

Nice timing with the new hardware was that a case of shouting for 6 months that the hardware needs to be replaced before hand or just very (un)lucky with timing.

Dell doing their end of financial sales thing are currently specing up a server and seeing what they can do on price, shame they don't seem to have any Hybrid SAN options that can provide network shares as well as disk LUN's.
    If I end up with a reconditioned box i was thinking about a using something like primocache and a refurbed enterprise pcie flash drive to help prevent over whelming the spinny disks with multiple write streams. Probably just aim for 10Gb to the server then and stick to a 1Gb fabric I think i even have a spare SFP+ port on the current rack switch, but that is currently getting full so a good 1Gb/10Gb combined switch rather than a cheap pure 10Gb should be the way to go.

I was looking at a reconditioned LTO6 library with the unspent budget if I went cheap though to add to my backup server (MD wont accept that we need tape backup as it is 'Old technology no one uses any more')

Has any one here looked at flash accelerating the VM Host rather than the SAN? with our equipment adding in a high perf. flash tier is possible but it needs a bunch of drive to do it and at dell prices

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    fuck persona management
    roaming profiles + folder redirection are shitty, but better.
    redirecting appdata instead of roaming profies is better, but breaks some apps, eg Photoshop.

And welcome to the wonderful world of Win10 golden images. it's horrific, then you get it running, and it breaks VoV. hence why we are going LTSB.
    You looked at work folders to replace folder redirection? now I have it ironed out it works great and supports off site staff with out needing Vpn's

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Nice timing with the new hardware was that a case of shouting for 6 months that the hardware needs to be replaced before hand or just very (un)lucky with timing.
    It was budgeted, specced, bought, and just happened to be on it's way as the old backup server DAS started dying, instead of fixing it we are pouuing our efforts into getting this up and running. We are restoring the Veeam config to it now *crosses everything*

Has any one here looked at flash accelerating the VM Host rather than the SAN? with our equipment adding in a high perf. flash tier is possible but it needs a bunch of drive to do it and at dell prices
    If you are asking what i think - that's exactly how we do it. 2tb PCI-E flash cards in the Server and then tell the VSAN software (WE use HP VSA) to use it as an acceleration tier. I wouldn't be surprised if Server2019 can do that natively now

I'll look at workfolders. we are migrating all staff to a new domain later this year so it would be a good time to get that sort of thing going.
    ta.

And Dell comes in at 8,500 with 50TB un-raided for a 740xd or 4,000 for a refurbed 730xd with 60TB. In this case where reliability is most def not 99.99% there is noly one real option.
    In 3 years when the refurbed hardware's warranty is out we can still replace it and save ourselves the 3k for extending the Dell warranty as well.

I'm sure I have said a lot of bad things about Firefox in a corporate environment before... I take most of it back. Firefox 60 ESR is very easy to manage via group policy, actually works well and doesnt have a massive footprint. I mean its still a pain to install being being naively an exe file, but that's reasonably minor and not an issue specific to firefox (and I haven't even looked for an MSI so it might be easily fixed as well).

Just had a row with a fucking developer who insists that the proper solution to their program not being allowed to send mail from 'anyone' via 365 is to implement a fucking local mail relay on the box, and whitelist it.

I suggested they follow SMTP RFC standards and use the "reply to" concept, but apparently telling me to build more infrastructure to support their shitty product is better than following standards.

Though i do enjoy the thread of "we may just start using another product" when you are their largest single customer.

To be fair Microsoft themselves recommend running a local mta for legacy software that won't talk to o365, so we already run one.. Our new mfd won't talk to 365 properly...

oh ok - i'll pipe down a bit then.

Today in toyland i've finally completed a pet project of mine - graylogging all servers.
    I've been collecting and analysing security logs from all the different domain's DC's for a while now with the help of Graylog Sidecar Collector, but today went to the next level. A SCCM package auto-installs the collector on all servers, with a specific config tag. The Graylog server is aware of this tag, so when a server connects, it passes back the correct config - and keeps configs the same over hundreds of servers - then 30 seconds later logs start appearing.

All i have to do now is finish building the dashboard showing top events / servers with errors, and then job's done.

It's very slick and i'm rather proud of leaning to do this 'properly'.
    Last edited by Itiken; January 17 2019 at 04:27:11 PM.

Today on my view poc I still can't get a Windows 10 image to work properly (as in not trash the user data, the actual machines are fine) so I decided to just update to 7.7.. Read the upgrade guide, read the horror stories, snapshot the servers and just went for it.. Flawless upgrade.

Only issue is the persona agent that sort of worked before now doesn't work at all.

Decided it needs a new image, but also I'm over persona so I thought I'd try and install a jmp server and get some other tools working. The jmp server refuses to not use SSL to talk to the SQL server (it's in the same server) and SQL refuses to accept a certificate.. Gave up almost instantly and watched YouTube for the last hour of my day..

Today I decided to drop this infuriating pursuit of trying to get persona manager and roaming profiles working and instead installed user environment manager.. After the hour of trying to wrap my head around the interface (it hides too many settings) it suddenly made sense and I have users logging in on volatile farms AND KEEPING THEIR SETTINGS ! All I can say is why the fuck is persona manager still a thing when this product exists from the same company...

because user enviorment manager is going on the chopping block soon for actually being useful ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    because user enviorment manager is going on the chopping block soon for actually being useful ?
    Wouldn't shock me at all.. Persona manager has the 'advantage' that you dont need to remember to install something else, but it does everything with redirection and therefor doesnt work very well. UEM on the other hand just maps your settings over the default enforced profile (which I actually need to make now) so your logins are as fast as a simple user, it doesnt need to make a profile for every user and all your settings move with you.. I even managed to get it to do the slipstream settings (where it only bothers to load them when something tries to use them) for all of office 365.

shit
    implemented dfs replication and quotas for home drives
    Just noticed it's been broken for aaaages but students don't move around, so it hasn't mattered.

Can you guess what's gone wrong ?

Time to start thinking about upgrading CALS for 2019 if we decide to get that rather than a 2012r2 licence for replacing our 2008SBS DC. Next thought is Volume licencing and Microsoft 365? next years IT budget forecast may be slightly larger than any since i have been here. and best get around to replacing ~80 remote desktop users before we need to upgrade those CALS :/