hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 408 of 408 FirstFirst ... 308358398405406407408
Results 8,141 to 8,157 of 8157

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Reading some of the postings in here, i.e. Lana's above, I sometimes are tempted to bet dollars to donuts that the poster and I are working at the same company ...

This is both at the same time somewhat relieving (there are dumb users elsewhere, too) and disturbing (how do these users manage to breath?)
    I do wonder what these people do that means they can do it well enough to keep a job and have zero computer skills.
    In our company: those people sell things aka "earn the money". They're the profit center, whereas the IT is a cost center.

I'm often enough reminded that "they earn your wage, too!". Which ofc is true. But at the same time they also cost the company a shitload of money by not knowing even the most basic things about their computer. And they get away with it, because "they don't work in IT." See my rant a couple of pages ago for how the same acknowledegment of active ignorance about cars - even for people without a driving license, would rightfully earn them the label "complete moron".

I love when companies consider IT a cost.. Ok, I'll save you money by turning it all off.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Whenever managers tell you you're a cost centre, just remind them that they are too.

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Whenever managers tell you you're a cost centre, just remind them that they are too.
    With less measurable output than the average tech...
    meh

Dear fhc, I am finally leaving managed service and come next year will be being paid by the company I'll be working for.

Any pointers?

Dear fhc, I am finally leaving managed service and come next year will be being paid by the company I'll be working for.

Any pointers?
    CYA more than you have before, just in case.

Any pointers?
    noice

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

I still have another job in the air... I got 3 interviews in the same week.. 1 was a bust, 1 offered me a job and the other one hasn't come back yet.. I might be in the position of being able to pick who I work for..

The job I didn't get was for a bank.. They are known for cycling staff every few years so I'm not really that cut up about not getting it (although they also have my home loan so the staff discount would have been nice)

I went with my gut on my last choice between jobs and never looked back. Sounds to me like you made the right call fam

I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

I still have another job in the air... I got 3 interviews in the same week.. 1 was a bust, 1 offered me a job and the other one hasn't come back yet.. I might be in the position of being able to pick who I work for..

The job I didn't get was for a bank.. They are known for cycling staff every few years so I'm not really that cut up about not getting it (although they also have my home loan so the staff discount would have been nice)
    Check check.. The other job that hadnt gotten back to me just asked me back for a 2nd interview.. I feel wanted (I also apparently know one of the interviewers, I didn't even know he worked there)

TMA your favoured FOSS data deduplication software. Not native/filesystem deduplication behind the scenes (first I must free up drives before getting some ZFS-equiv magic going), but the kind where it'll checksum all files & list you the paths of those that have the same content (and offer to delete all but 1 set).
    This is a minefield to google, and I don't want to point unknown software at backups.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    TMA your favoured FOSS data deduplication software. Not native/filesystem deduplication behind the scenes (first I must free up drives before getting some ZFS-equiv magic going), but the kind where it'll checksum all files & list you the paths of those that have the same content (and offer to delete all but 1 set).
    This is a minefield to google, and I don't want to point unknown software at backups.
    idk

phoneposting

You can try asking in /r/DataHoarder/ on le reddit.
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Ah mate. A thread from today: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder...e_file_finder/

https://github.com/jbruchon/jdupes
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Saw that thread from your suggestion earlier, even posted in it hours ago.

Step 1) get Debian to reinstall on the target machine, which I managed ~6months ago with 8 but have some EFI issue with atm with 9. Think I might have disabled some BIOS compatibility setting.
    Step 2) sync/checksum some files between existing backup sets, because I know there's a few with paths/names that only Linux can manipulate, and a suspected-dying drive, and so I can't achieve triplicate of all atm.
    Step 3) deduplicate within backup sets via comparing several sets of arbitrary folders.
    Step 4) rearrange partitions and then copy known good & complete sets.

TL;DR: didn't see a syncing(checksumming)-and-deduping all-in-one option for Win10 yet, tangential issue with Linux atm.
    At different times I want to see all duplicates, and see all non-duplicates, based on exact binary comparison. And not just on one filesystem.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

posting on reddit lmao

phoneposting