hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 429 of 429 FirstFirst ... 329379419426427428429
Results 8,561 to 8,575 of 8575

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Did a lab on PSUs a few weeks ago. Am I correct in assuming this unit is fucked?

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Are those voltages? Transformer based power supplies tend to be a bit higher when not under load but not 100% over.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    Are those voltages? Transformer based power supplies tend to be a bit higher when not under load but not 100% over.
    Yeah, they're voltage with nothing attached. Not sure what normal ranges are.

Seasonic PSU, btw.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Orange +3.3v
    Red +5v
    Yellow +12v
    Purple +5v (standby power)
    Blue -12v
    White -5v for old 1980s-era RAM and ISA cards on power supplies that support it

I think Seasonic is decent, they make stuff for companies like Corsair. I'm not sure how good their older stuff is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    I moved some backups from the old single file repository in to our new shiny scale out repository in preparation for our azure blob storage repository (because it adds on to the scale-out)..
    That is a very simple and effective update Veeam have made there when we start to run out of space locally that is going to be in the running as option 1. If only setting up blob storage for an offsite DR repository (not only scale out extension) was that easy to implement and did not require an on-cloud veeam server running to manage it (and not to mention top end licence for data transfer compression).
    After messing about with it for a bit, it is and it isn't.. We were planning on using it to basically replace tapes for our archive storage but they way they have set it up doesnt really work like that. I can set it up so it takes a 'full' backup once a week (with incrementals every day but we can ignore those) and once the backup has sat on the local drive for a month, push it to blob. The 'problem' with that is it'll push one every week and there is no real way to prune out the 3 weeks I don't want to bother keeping. We can keep a months worth of backups, including daily incrementals, locally and currently we only tape out to long term storage once a month. Doing it once a week is going to significantly increase the amount of data we store offsite and therefor the costs.

Currently a 1.5TB tape is costing us about AU$40 each. For 1.5TB of archive storage in Azure it'll cost us about AU$4(ish) a month. So after we have stored this data for 10 months is works out even. This number would be completely different if we paid for tape storage, but we currently dont. Paying for 4 times the data means we are paying the same in less than 3 months.

(We keep tapes for 10 years)
    yep unfortunately that's exactly what it is not for and i was also hoping for as well, after watching their webinar the other week it is quite obvious it is very tightly focused just on providing a step to moving bulk storage to the 'cloud'.
    I very much hope that they use what they have learnt here to integrate with a tapeless GFS style archiving repository, but they have too much invested their service provider architecture to do that. I almost did not buy that reconditioned LTO6 library but it is now back on the order list.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

My sanity is slowly eroding.. Been playing with horizon to try and use it as an all purpose gateway for remove users. I've been playing around with it in physical machines as we have a media team with some pretty kick ass desktops and giving them a VM to work remotely with isn't going to cut it.

It works.

It doesn't work well though. PCoIP is only available with an accelerator card. Blast is only available on the enterprise version of Windows. RDP is only available if the connecting computer is Windows.. Our guys running a Mac at home are out of luck..

I need to get blast working TBH. That would be the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

My sanity is slowly eroding..
    You don't need sanity, you work in IT.

My sanity is slowly eroding.. Been playing with horizon to try and use it as an all purpose gateway for remove users. I've been playing around with it in physical machines as we have a media team with some pretty kick ass desktops and giving them a VM to work remotely with isn't going to cut it.

It works.

It doesn't work well though. PCoIP is only available with an accelerator card. Blast is only available on the enterprise version of Windows. RDP is only available if the connecting computer is Windows.. Our guys running a Mac at home are out of luck..

Strictly for Remote Desktop work I've had great success with NoMachine on the Macs. They have commercial/enterprise solutions, although I don't know what your requirements are.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post

It works.

Strictly for Remote Desktop work I've had great success with NoMachine on the Macs. They have commercial/enterprise solutions, although I don't know what your requirements are.
    The original push for Horizon was and still is VDI, which it is very good at. We have a few things pushing us toward VDI. We are trying to get rid of our old RDP server, we have a desktop refresh many years over due (still in Win7) and we have been instructed to find a solution to allow people to work more flexibly (read, from home). VDI basically ticks all the boxes for this. Using horizon for other things is something I want to try and do so we don't have to go and get another solution. We have a team of 4 video editors who have some very nice desktop hardware that cant be virtualized (well not at a cost we can afford), so im trying to come up with a way to allow them to remote in to the machines and using Horizon for this seemed to be a good idea. The issue is 2 of them have MacOS at home so we need to be client agnostic for this to work... There ARE options for us to be able to do it but it might just work out cheaper to use a 2nd product for those 4 people.

The other really nice thing with horizon is it will work on an RDS farm and also on Windows 7 physical hosts (as long as you use RDP which isnt an issue outside of those 4 people). This means we can deploy, set it up to work with our existing RDP server and desktops, slowly migrate people over to VDI and just change their options in Horizon. One product will handle the whole transition. Also if we decide against VDI then the same product can still be used for fill the 'working from home' requirement, so its not even a waste of money.

I'm going to try some things because the Horizon firewall proxy appliance is a bit more generic and I might be able to use it to do normal RDP over a tunnel, so these people could setup their Mac to tunnel in and then use the normal MacOS RDP client. (I'm also hoping VMWare start to integrate the MacOS client in to horizon now its available, but im not holding my breath)

Oh.. We have an VPN but there is no way to secure the connection once it's established. Management don't want a user connecting their PC to the vpn then hitting a bunch of servers with a virus they didn't know they had. My argument to this is in this case they are connecting a Mac so our Windows PCs should be fine.

It's a little hacky but running Fusion may get around your OSX issue. I haven't looked at it too closely but it looks like you could have all the Apple computers run a VM to use Horizon inside Fusion. I'm guessing the Macs are running editing software from their machines and using the server for asset sharing or some kind of file transfer server? You may have a security issue at that point, but if it's a fresh VM every time you launch I wouldn't see an issue, but then again that's for every security breach. A targeted attack is possible.

It's a 100% fixable issue I just didn't want to fix it by making the client have to have something installed. More so if it's something they have to pay for. I'm not really that worried because it's 4 users out of 50... Low priority and all that.

PSA: When getting in on a monday morning and checking if the weekends backups worked correctly, the correct thing to do is rotate the tapes. The incorrect thing to do is misread the backup job, think its failed and start it again thereby invalidating all of the (weekends) tapes.

Its going to be a long monday.

Office 365 / OneDrive for Business (OneDrive web client)

This one drives me crazy. There's a user whose files are automatically set to "Shared" if he uploads a local file (via drag&drop from local storage location to the opened browser window) to the root ("Documents" in the classic view, folder "Files" in the new ) of his OneDrive Cloud drive.

There's no default organisation setting that I'm aware of which would cause this. I checked the "Sharing" setting in the SharePpoint and OneDrive admin portal, in vain. Google results for OneDrive and (default) share settings all point towards the later options in the admin portal and deal with the settings for anonymous sharing/organisational/external etc.

There's the option that once one creates a folder, one can set this folder to be shared and hence all documents in it. The share settings for this folder can be edited. That's basically the option I'm looking for for the OneDrive root folder. Rightclicking on "Files" in the left pane just provides the standard browser context menu.

Any ideas about where to look to get that fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Office 365 / OneDrive for Business (OneDrive web client)

This one drives me crazy. There's a user whose files are automatically set to "Shared" if he uploads a local file (via drag&drop from local storage location to the opened browser window) to the root ("Documents" in the classic view, folder "Files" in the new ) of his OneDrive Cloud drive.

There's no default organisation setting that I'm aware of which would cause this. I checked the "Sharing" setting in the SharePpoint and OneDrive admin portal, in vain. Google results for OneDrive and (default) share settings all point towards the later options in the admin portal and deal with the settings for anonymous sharing/organisational/external etc.

There's the option that once one creates a folder, one can set this folder to be shared and hence all documents in it. The share settings for this folder can be edited. That's basically the option I'm looking for for the OneDrive root folder. Rightclicking on "Files" in the left pane just provides the standard browser context menu.

Any ideas about where to look to get that fixed?
    Something I found interesting that is marginally related to this is when incorrect permissions have been set on a folder structure, using sharepoint search (e.g. put your name in) you can see any documents that are openable by yourself.

Also users thinking that because they think that when they (themselves) run a search for folders that have the correct permissions, the search result is the same for everybody.