hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tabletop Simulator/Internet Boardgames

Tabletop Simulator/Internet Boardgames

There's been some discussion on Discord of potentially doing some Tabletop Simulator board games.

Would people be down for this, and would a UK evening time or weekend time work better? We were thinking Secret Hitler first, it shares enough mechanics with Mafia which most of you have played to make it an easy pick up.

For me Saturday afternoon/evening is out because that's when I have my other friends playing board games, but I'm down for more or less any other time. Also down for other board games if people wanna teach them, I'm a relative newb to board games and have mostly only played the major classics.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Call me when you're playing something else than Secret Hitler or any variation of "hidden identity social deduction party game" (I was just looking for a genre depiction ok, that one is from secrethitler.com)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

I am in in general, depends when.

can we simulate the eve bored game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    Call me when you're playing something else than Secret Hitler or any variation of "hidden identity social deduction party game" (I was just looking for a genre depiction ok, that one is from secrethitler.com)
    As I said, I'm down for more or less anything, this for me is about filling time and trying new things. Just, unless it's Settlers of Catan or Betrayal at House On The Hill, I'm not in a position to be able to teach it. Most Tabletop Simulator mods get around the licensed content limitations by not including rulebooks, so you rely on having someone who knows and can teach the game. Also, haven't you always wanted to call everyone on FHC fascists? Now's your chance, without wading through five hundred pages of polthread!

Hell we could even go classic and play Risk or something like that.

There is a version of the eve bored game on the workshop....
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

For what its worth, I have a few games people might be interested in as physical copies, thus rulebooks (E.G. Firefly)

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Also, haven't you always wanted to call everyone on FHC fascists?
    we already do that

I'd be up for playing. Been playing a bunch of online Ticket to Ride recently.

Always liked Mafia / Werewolf / (new one on me) Social Hitler games too.

I play a lot of 40k on it.

If it would help get people interested (because I'm not giving up on this idea just yet) I could also now teach the BSG boardgame (although only the base game as I've not yet touched the expansions), and it's one of the best board games I've ever played.

It does have social elements but there's a lot of other elements to it too, and it's just fun. Plus you can roleplay Saul Tigh and get incredibly, incredibly drunk before making any decisions.

If it would help get people interested (because I'm not giving up on this idea just yet) I could also now teach the BSG boardgame (although only the base game as I've not yet touched the expansions), and it's one of the best board games I've ever played.

It does have social elements but there's a lot of other elements to it too, and it's just fun. Plus you can roleplay Saul Tigh and get incredibly, incredibly drunk before making any decisions.
    Count me in

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post

Count me in
    Thats what a cylon would say.
    TO THE AIRLOCK WITH HIM

I'm in. Including Secret Hitler.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

If we could get at least 5 for BSG (or secret hitler), do people wanna try something on Tuesday or Wednesday about 730pm GMT?

If we are doing BSG, the first game especially will take a few hours, so if that's too late we can move it forward.

Sure. I'm up for BSG.

I'm also up for learning to play infinity with it, as it doesn't require another army I have no time to paint. The mode for it is well done, all inclusive, and certainly enough to learn the game, and infinity seems like a decent fit for something with somewhat finicky movement controls, as the figure count is somewhat limited. Rules, etc are free too.

By comparison, the WMH mode isn't nearly half as well done.
    Last edited by erichkknaar; January 24 2021 at 10:11:13 PM.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

Also, haven't you always wanted to call everyone on FHC fascists?
    we already do that
    G r o g w a v e

I'm in.

Needs to be after 20:30 if i want to do anything on weekdays but otherwise I am in for whatever.

I can reliably do 2/3 Tuesday nights from 19:30 onwards. Only 1/3 for Wednesdays

OK, if people are down, let's do something this Tuesday. 7.30pm, Discord, be there, or don't, whatever, I'm not your momma, you're a big boy.

So. Tabletop Sim. BSG. After action report. Sadly no screenshots because I forgot to take any.

The cast of characters:

Zekk Pacus - Admiral Adama
    Nobody_Holme - Boomer
    Duckslayer - Chief Galen Tyrol
    Larkonis Trassler - Starbuck

and special guest star, Eben 'david32' Rochelle as President Laura Roslin.

Our intrepid crew set off in the good ship Battlestar Galactica, knowing that potentially one or two of us was a dirty Cylon traitor. Our early game went surprisingly well - Galactica took some early damage whilst fighting free of the first jump, but fearless engineer Galen Tyrol repaired the ship and kept us going.

Our first jump took us to the middle of nowhere and burned some fuel, but did get us away from the Cylon fleet chewing at our bums. At this point President Roslin made a 'big brain play' and used her executive powers to place Boomer in the brig. This raised some eyebrows as Boomer had been a stalwart crew member up to this point, shooting down Cylon raiders and eh doesn't afraid of anything. The president later explained that she just HAD to brig someone and Boomer looked at her funny, which as explanations go was absolutely fine.

Suspicions were further raised when Galen Tyrol tried to repair something whilst the fleet was trying to settle down a witch hunt - repairing walls not being particularly helpful when trying to calm down rampaging civilians. The eye of suspicion was firmly on Galen Tyrol trying to fix civilian rebellions with a wrench, with a side eye towards Laura Roslin and her authoritarian 'lock 'em all up' policies. Boomer managed to gain some Cylon insight and chose to reveal to the fleet that Admiral Adama was NOT a Cylon, confirming his squishy human status forever more. Or at least for now.

The next jump was not kind to us and cost us more fuel. The fleet gamely battled on, but Admiral Adama was forced to use one of his very limited nukes to rescue the fleet from a massive Cylon fleet. He fearlessly launched a nuke at a Basestar, which obliterated not only the Basestar but also a bunch of raiders. 10/10 top Admiraling, and yet more evidence that the fearless Admiral Adama is indeed a squishy, squishy human. We flew onwards, shedding morale, fuel and food along the way but managing to keep our population fairly high. Some excellent piloting from the maverick of the fleet, Starbuck, kept Cylon Raiders at bay and civilian ships safe.

At this point, the fleet had reached the halfway point of its epic journey, and the 'final five' were activated. The stakes were raised as now we definitely had two cylons in our fleet, or maybe one super-cylon - and nobody knew. Boomer was placed into jail (for the second time) owing to her latent possible Cylon sympathies. Opportunities to gain Cylon intel had been limited to this point and the President chose to reinforce her authoritarian credentials by demanding to know whether Galen was a Cylon or not. The president appeared to clear Tyrol, but suspicions remained....

And then, disaster struck. Starbuck had infact found out she was a Cylon, and chose to reveal herself to us by trying to assassinate Admiral Adama. Whilst her assassination attempt failed, the Admiral was left weakened and Starbuck escaped justice, suiciding and resurrecting on the Cylon resurrection ship. A traditional good news/bad news situation - we knew who one of our Cylon traitors was, but now that Cylon traitor could more overtly help the Cylon fleet to hurt us. We battled on bravely, losing all of our Raptors to ill-executed scouting missions, denying us crucial intel about the dangers ahead of us, and costing us yet more fuel. At this point several resources had gone from 'lean' to 'oh shit' and the remaining humans were concerned that the next crisis could finish us off.

And then, there was MORE disaster. Tyrol, who had somehow managed to fool the President, revealed that he had been a Cylon the entire time, and forced Boomer into the brig for the third time - Boomer got a lot of chances to look at the inside of Galactica's brig, and reports that it is 7/10 needs more windows. He also escaped justice and resurrected - now we knew who the enemies were, but this also denied us our only engineer and thus our only regular chance to repair our increasingly battered Battlestar. The fleet was engaged with a Cylon battle group, and Starbuck chose to reinforce the Cylon battlegroup. With Basestars, Raiders and Heavy Raiders on all sides, Admiral Adama fearlessly chose to launch his one remaining nuke at a Basestar, but his aim was off from repeated crises, and we just winged it. It was damaged and unable to fire, but still able to launch Raiders.

The remaining humans sprung Boomer from jail, and pointed her in the direction of a viper with orders to protect the civilian ships at all costs. Through some amazing piloting, and the burning of many many skillcards, she managed to protect 3 civilian ships from 9 raiders who were otherwise going to destroy our helpless humans. The fleet limped on, at some point picking up a Cylon boarding party, because it wasn't like we had anything else to deal with. While we managed to jump away from the Cylon fleet once more, our armoury was damaged and we never managed to fight off our boarders. We just had to kind of ignore them and hope they didn't do anything too bad, like venting our oxygen and killing us all. I'm sure they won't.

Sadly, the next crisis proved to be a crisis too far. The fleet ran out of fuel just one jump from Kobol and the Cylons succeeded in their goal of ending humanity. The humans valiantly attempted to avoid this final crisis but were unable to overcome the Cylon's determined efforts.

10/10 tabletop gameplay, my thanks to Lark, Holme and Duck for putting up with my shoddy game explaining, and thanks to Eben for filling out the table.

Hopefully the AAR whets some appetites for more games. I had a lot of fun, and I hope everyone else did too. There was some discussion of doing some secret hitler this evening about 830pm which I am very much down for - it's much shorter than the 4 hours that our BSG game ended up going (although that comes down a lot when people are more familiar with the game and the destination deck doesn't fuck the admiral with 4 1 distance jumps in a row).

(also discord mods can we have a board games tag)
    Last edited by Zekk Pacus; January 27 2021 at 10:53:41 AM.