hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

Beer thread

I didn't see one of these, so I figured we could use some pictures etc. Here's what I scored over the weekend:

Westvleteren do just these three beers: a blond, the 8, and the 12. The 12 has quite a lot of flavor but is stupendously heavy and difficult to drink (especially for someone who tends to stick to British beer like I do). The 8 is a bit more measured, which is why I tend to go for that one instead (the crate is full of 8s).

Fun fact: Westvleteren is one of the few (if not the only) breweries not to use a label. They get all the relevant info on the cap, though they don't have room for the Trappist seal as a result.
    Domination.
    Vote Lark for CSM

I've had the blond before and will happily check out the others some time.

It was my birthday yesterday which meant a nice selection of drinks including my all time favourite Goose Island "Bourbon County Stout" which is just the most flavoursome thing you could ever imagine. Followed by a Van Winkle Rye Whiskey chaser. Good times.

I usually just drink heffe's or pretty basic German alt but it's fairly hard to go wrong with them for light sessions. Just avoid Erdinger like the plague.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Sat at a nice terrace last evening with some friends, enjoying a La Trappe Witte Trapiste, lovely beer.

After that went into the city to the Irish pub to enjoy a nice pint of Murphy's Irish Red, both beer definitely amongst my favourites.

Got some of this in from the States. It's a live beer and goes off pretty quickly; the difference between a one-month bottle and a two-month is significant (this was a two-month, sadly, though it was still quite good). I've read reviews calling it the "ultimate IPA" and that's not a bad description: really lovely fruit flavors, a great hoppy kick, and a pleasant finish. Top-notch beer if you can ever get ahold of it (in its absence Blind Pig, done by the same brewery, is also really good and done in a similar style).

Domination.
    Vote Lark for CSM

"But the vast majority of this forum is European and/or highly urbanized and quite liberal in their firearms views. Take this discussion to ih8mud.com (Toyota Land Cruiser forum) or even knifeforums.com and you'd see the opposite."
    -OrangeAfroMan

Anyone able to point me to a nice stout? Not a dry/irish thing, but of the style of imperial/russian stout? Or just a good dark ale/lager/porter available in the UK?
    Edit: ok seems I missed we have a few contenders already posted, but what's the trick to getting these beauties?
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; September 14 2011 at 04:43:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator Six View Post
    Got some of this in from the States. It's a live beer and goes off pretty quickly; the difference between a one-month bottle and a two-month is significant (this was a two-month, sadly, though it was still quite good). I've read reviews calling it the "ultimate IPA" and that's not a bad description: really lovely fruit flavors, a great hoppy kick, and a pleasant finish. Top-notch beer if you can ever get ahold of it (in its absence Blind Pig, done by the same brewery, is also really good and done in a similar style).

The smug bastards do a limited release called "Pliny the younger" I've seen it at their local taster twice, really is quite nice. But yeah Pliny is great.

If you like IPAs, try Sculpin from ballast point, thats a hugely good one here in San Diego.
    Also another good one is Alesmith IPA. 100/100 on ratebeer.com and its easy to taste why. Nice citrus notes, pleasant nose, and good bittering from the hops.

a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
    A beer thread? <3

I was at the Chappel Beer Fest last week. Jealous?

Anyone ordered from here yet? I've had it bookmarked for ages and haven't got around to ordering anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Anyone ordered from here yet?
    Next Working Day (Not Guaranteed) (7.49)

Orders for next day delivery must be placed by 12pm.(e.g. orders placed by 12noon tuesday deliverd wednesday, orders placed by 12noon friday delivered monday).

If you have not received your delivery within 5 days after receiving your confirmation e-mail, please contact us by e-mail so we can investigate.
    Stout and Porter Mixed 12 was sounding good until this. No other delivery options and they won't care for a working week?

Donor
    Now if only they shipped to the U.S. I could have a better selection of real beer.

@Navigator Six: I envy you. I've heard so much about Westvleteren, can't wait to get my hands on one.

Quote Originally Posted by DAN13L View Post
    Thats me (or atleast a bit of me.) @De Koffer right?

Quote Originally Posted by DAN13L View Post
    After that went into the city to the Irish pub to enjoy a nice pint of Murphy's Irish Red, both beer definitely amongst my favourites.
    No we didn't.

Now, for content:

Rochefort 8, enjoyed at a lovely terrace in Enschede. Damn, it was epic, would certainly drink again.

Here in Vlissingen the student organisations sometimes hold a Abbey party. for about 10 euro you get five or six belgian abbey beers. It is always great to be there.

Has anyone tried this collab between Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada called "Life and Limb"? I think one of the local bars is going to have it on tap soon but not sure....really trying to at least try it.
    http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits.../life-limb.htm

Quote Originally Posted by HyJek View Post
    Has anyone tried this collab between Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada called "Life and Limb"? I think one of the local bars is going to have it on tap soon but not sure....really trying to at least try it.
    http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits.../life-limb.htm
    I scored a bottle of this along with the Pliny. Haven't tried it yet, but really looking forward to it.
    Domination.
    Vote Lark for CSM

Awesome, so awesome that apparently they scored a major product placement deal in the US a few years ago:
    nevar forget

Hopback brewery yo. I still have a few pints of their Taiphoon lemongrass ale left over from the 36-pint polypin I ordered a week or so ago.

tasty~
    MAX damage posting

My local brewery is now this one:

Have a nice stout

Miss having so many local breweries after the move to NC

One of them used to have a team in the local futbol league where all the shirts had the number 8 on the back to celebrate their new, at the time, Belgian style ale

I dunno about beers. I want to try nice ones and I have on occasion but i still prefer a refreshing lager. That seems to be blasphemy to real beer drinkers.

I generally find drinking a friends homebrew best because there's no bullshit associated with it.

McEwan's Champion Ale

Theakston's Legendary Old Peculier

Can't go wrong at 4 for 5.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; November 2 2011 at 08:48:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm Beck View Post
    My local brewery is now this one:

Have a nice stout

Miss having so many local breweries after the move to NC

One of them used to have a team in the local futbol league where all the shirts had the number 8 on the back to celebrate their new, at the time, Belgian style ale
    I have had a couple different beers from Duck Rabbit, all pretty good...I remember the Marzen specifically being good