hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Desktop thread!

  1. #1
    Phrixus Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Queenstown, NZ
    Posts
    3,642

    Desktop thread!

    I'm about to get a three year visa in NZ, so I think it's time to build a desktop. The last time I built one was probably 8-9 years ago and I've been using a laptop for the last 5, so I need everything except a mouse.

    I'm just about to get 7 weeks holiday pay (new job), so I willing to spend several thousand NZ$, but I don't want to spend $600 for a brand new product, if I can spend $300 for the model from 6 month ago that is 95% as good.

    I'll probably buy everything during Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales where possible, but getting stuff in or to NZ is often a pita.

    I'll obviously Google all this too, but you guys know this stuff better.

    Soo.. what's the deal with Intel, AMD, Nvidia these days? Do I still need to pair Intel with Nvidia, etc?

    If I want a monitor for gaming (more DOTA/RPGs, less twitch FPS) and movie watching what am I looking for? Do I need ultra wide? Do I want curved?

    Does anyone make 'gaming' stuff that doesn't light up like a 70's disco?

    Speakers?

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Mails Tegg > пошел ты на хуй
    Posts
    4,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    Does anyone make 'gaming' stuff that doesn't light up like a 70's disco?
    Yea, stuff that isn't gaming branded.

  3. #3
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    Soo.. what's the deal with Intel, AMD, Nvidia these days? Do I still need to pair Intel with Nvidia, etc?
    Wait, if at all possible. New AMD CPU's are imminent and that will have an impact on the market, probably at least by driving down Intel prices to compete.

    Intel pros: they are more reliably overclockable, higher single core speed, and have a very slight advantage in most games but only at the high end at 1080p and then usually only by a matter of a few FPS.
    Intel cons: generally more expensive, by a large enough margin that you could invest the difference into a much better GPU, and their socket support from generation to generation is horrid so the motherboard you buy will likely have a more limited lifespan than an AMD board.

    AMD pros: less expensive for equivalent or superior performance in most day to day computing, with an advantage in heavily multithreaded tasks like video encoding, AM4 socket boards will be useful for at least the current and the next gen chips, and already have PCIe 4 support for future GPUs and storage.
    AMD cons: lower clocks mean a few very specific tasks can be significantly faster on Intel, so if you know you'll be doing one or two things for most of your time I'd bite that bullet.

    The GPU pairing thing doesn't matter. The general recommendation is (barring sales or deals that erase the price gap) to go with an AMD Ryzen CPU and the GPU best suited to your budget, but again if you can wait the stock of the latest Nvidia 30X0 series should start to become more available.

    I just picked up a Pixio PX277P monitor, the specs are pretty much the sweet spot for current gaming: 27 inches, IPS, 1440p, 165hz with FreeSync, and under $350 USD. Unless you have really specific needs like super high contrast ratio or high gamut coverage, look for something right in this range (if you can't find this model in stock, these monitors tend to sell out p. frequently).
    Last edited by Ruri; October 24 2020 at 05:45:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

  4. #4
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,406
    Ok a little more detail:

    We'll grab one of the B550 boards from this segment


    With currently available hardware, I'd put together something in this rough ballpark

    https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/HT9Ft8

    This is about $2k NZ and is what I'd consider a solid baseline, but like I said, new CPUs and GPUs are just around the corner so don't go picking those up just yet. The other components (motherboard, RAM, SSD, PSU) aren't likely to change much before that happens though of course sale prices will come and go, and the case is always up to personal taste but something in this size/price range is a good spot. It's also disco lighting free.

    MOBO: see above
    RAM: Gigabyte DDR4-3600 16GB kit is as mainline as it comes, you'll be spoilt for options but this is as low as I'd go in capacity/speed terms
    SSD : Samsung Evo 970 1TB, there are also a ton of options so if you see something on a great sale from another solid company like WD then go for it
    PSU: Corsair 650W 80+ Gold, These were hard to come by over the summer, with the higher wattage requirements of the new Nvidia GPUs I think it's wise to get something a little beefier than might be strictly necessary for current gen hardware, better to have the overhead for if/when you need it
    Last edited by Ruri; October 24 2020 at 06:34:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

  5. #5
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,846
    • CPU: Ryzen 3600 is fine, Zen3 is due in ~1 week & ~20% faster at gaming, but only the high-end first, so probably won't reduce the 3600's price any time this year, given how popular it is.
    • Cooler: you can save here if you want as the stock one is fine. The 212 is a popular budget tower upgrade.
    • RAM: 3200MHz is fine, so 3600MHz is almost optimal for Zen2 (see Infinity Fabric 1.8GHz speeds), but personally I would only get >3200 on a good deal, prices are forecast to drop 5-15% over the next 4-5months.
    • SSD: Similarly, the impact of an NVMe PCIe4 vs a regular SSD isn't very notable, and prices are again forecast to drop due to the memory chip overproduction market situation. You could just go with a <=500GB SSD for now and get a faster, cheaper NVMe drive later. Just ensure it's not DRAM-cache-less.
    • GPU: 4 days until the new Radeon 6xxx series details, release in the weeks after, do not plan to get a 5700XT, especially at current prices, before these hit shelves.
    • Case: H510 is popular, has a pretty vertical internal strip detail, but meh airflow, thermals and thus noise, because of a bad glass front panel setup. I'd strongly suggest a mesh-fronted case, such as a Phanteks Eclipse 400A. Fans against glass are dumb, whether front intake or vertically-mounted GPUs against side panels.
    • Fans: Arctic's F12/14 PWM PST (daisy-chaining) fans are practically as quiet as Noctua's, but come in a 5 pack for stupid good value.
    • PSU: Gold certified and fully modular is nice, but you can go with Bronze+ ratings and semi-modular from good brands to save some money, or even just open up options given current supply situations.


    As for monitors, I wouldn't buy less than a 1440p IPS with Freesync, and at least 75Hz even for a secondary display. You can get 95-144Hz IPS with good stands or VESA mount support very easily. I'd never buy a TN panel (leave them for the 300fps CS:GO only 'gamers'), but consider a VA if you want high contrasts and deep blacks over fastest performance or best colours. Disregard any marketing wank about HDR, or local dimming. And you'll know if your pro work required high colour gamut/10bit+/etc.

    Speakers? Headphones.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; October 24 2020 at 10:50:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    • CPU: Ryzen 3600 is fine, Zen3 is due in ~1 week & ~20% faster at gaming, but only the high-end first, so probably won't reduce the 3600's price any time this year, given how popular it is.
    • Cooler: you can save here if you want as the stock one is fine. The 212 is a popular budget tower upgrade.
    • RAM: 3200MHz is fine, so 3600MHz is almost optimal for Zen2 (see Infinity Fabric 1.8GHz speeds), but personally I would only get >3200 on a good deal, prices are forecast to drop 5-15% over the next 4-5months.
    • SS Similarly, the impact of an NVMe PCIe4 vs a regular SSD isn't very notable, and prices are again forecast to drop due to the memory chip overproduction market situation. You could just go with a <=500GB SSD for now and get a faster, cheaper NVMe drive later. Just ensure it's not DRAM-cache-less.
    • GPU: 4 days until the new Radeon 6xxx series details, release in the weeks after, do not plan to get a 5700XT, especially at current prices, before these hit shelves.
    • Case: H510 is popular, has a pretty vertical internal strip detail, but meh airflow, thermals and thus noise, because of a bad glass front panel setup. I'd strongly suggest a mesh-fronted case, such as a Phanteks Eclipse 400A. Fans against glass are dumb, whether front intake or vertically-mounted GPUs against side panels.
    • Fans: Arctic's F12/14 PWM PST (daisy-chaining) fans are practically as quiet as Noctua's, but come in a 5 pack for stupid good value.
    • PSU: Gold certified and fully modular is nice, but you can go with Bronze+ ratings and semi-modular from good brands to save some money, or even just open up options given current supply situations.


    As for monitors, I wouldn't buy less than a 1440p IPS with Freesync, and at least 75Hz even for a secondary display. You can get 95-144Hz IPS with good stands or VESA mount support very easily. I'd never buy a TN panel (leave them for the 300fps CS:GO only 'gamers'), but consider a VA if you want high contrasts and deep blacks over fastest performance or best colours. Disregard any marketing wank about HDR, or local dimming. And you'll know if your pro work required high colour gamut/10bit+/etc.

    Speakers? Headphones.
    Regarding the "HDR Wank" as you put it. The one thing I like on my monitor is that it uses HDR to brighten up dark areas of the screen for games like Tarkov. I like this a lot and do notice it when I tunr it off. But I might be just chomping on the marketing for that one haha!

  7. #7
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,846
    You actually have a monitor with FLAD backlights (and OS, GPU & cabling set up for it), or just supports HDR input? Because brightness isn't HDR, (active) contrast is.

    P.S. brightening dark areas, i.e. normalising the bright and dark so all are easier to see at once without your eyes needing to adjust back and forth, is the opposite of HDR. Like an old-school gamma 'cheat'.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; October 26 2020 at 02:03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    You actually have a monitor with FLAD backlights (and OS, GPU & cabling set up for it), or just supports HDR input? Because brightness isn't HDR, (active) contrast is.

    P.S. brightening dark areas, i.e. normalising the bright and dark so all are easier to see at once without your eyes needing to adjust back and forth, is the opposite of HDR. Like an old-school gamma 'cheat'.
    oh.. then I will shut up!

    (But it is cool lol)

    Edit: https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/...C32HG70QQUXEN/

    This is what i have.

  9. #9
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    You actually have a monitor with FLAD backlights (and OS, GPU & cabling set up for it), or just supports HDR input? Because brightness isn't HDR, (active) contrast is.

    P.S. brightening dark areas, i.e. normalising the bright and dark so all are easier to see at once without your eyes needing to adjust back and forth, is the opposite of HDR. Like an old-school gamma 'cheat'.
    oh.. then I will shut up!

    (But it is cool lol)

    Edit: https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/...C32HG70QQUXEN/

    This is what i have.
    GET

    DUNKED

    NERDED

  10. #10
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,846
    Mm, 8 zones, technically qualifies, but the Acer Predator X35 has 512, the ASUS PG27UQ has 384.

    You can see if it's gash by moving a white mouse cursor into a dark screen area and whether it all brightens (not helping contrast) or if it handles it 'like a star at night' (basically nothing yet does, OLED being the main exception, and you pay for it).

    Not wanting to shit on your seems-nice monitor, but I think people actually mean your experience in Tarkov when they complain things are washed out with HDR on.
    It's just important people don't jump on buying "HDR" at a price above monitors without (display, not just input) support for it, as it's not a matter of future-proofing, either that actual screen does it well or you'll need a new better one for it anyway. And there are a lot more these days with worth-paying-for good high bit colour support without needing to conflate that with dynamic contrast (or simply high peak brightness).
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; October 26 2020 at 07:56:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    13,824
    Dram cache scare is overblown to fuck, the nvmes are fine due to the price point you end up. To be fair though you might as well get a regular one, doesn't really matter that much as long as it's an SSD of some sort, local prices can vary a fair bit.

    I still really like the cheaper NZXT cases. Top build quality and design for the absurdly low price. Just don't get the pricier "elite" or "smart" versions cause they suck dick, or if you plan on changing the fan layout.

    212 fan upgrade is imo pmuch pointless, you won't get much from it and they're surprisingly loud. Just use stock or save a bit and get a Noctua or something. There are some other cheaper high performance versions too but the name slips my mind right now.

    Only minor comments to the above, shit's on point really. In the end when building to a certain budget there are sometimes many things to be gained from fiddling a bit with certain components vs others so figured i'd give some input as someone who owned all of the above at some point lol.
    Last edited by Isyel; November 3 2020 at 12:26:59 PM.

  12. #12
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Dram cache scare is overblown to fuck, the nvmes are fine due to the price point you end up. To be fair though you might as well get a regular one, doesn't really matter that much as long as it's an SSD of some sort, local prices can vary a fair bit.

    I still really like the cheaper NZXT cases. Top build quality and design for the absurdly low price. Just don't get the pricier "elite" or "smart" versions cause they suck dick, or if you plan on changing the fan layout.

    212 fan upgrade is imo pmuch pointless, you won't get much from it and they're surprisingly loud. Just use stock or save a bit and get a Noctua or something. There are some other cheaper high performance versions too but the name slips my mind right now.

    Only minor comments to the above, shit's on point really. In the end when building to a certain budget there are sometimes many things to be gained from fiddling a bit with certain components vs others so figured i'd give some input as someone who owned all of the above at some point lol.
    I honestly included the 212 just because of the LEDs that the Wraith's come with, and it's a workhorse that you can install and never ever have to think about again.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •