hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elite Dangerous Odyssey Thread

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Download took 14 minutes performance is good (running a 2070 super so it should be). Just did the tutorial. First impressions are generally good, going to spend more time with this later today and make a opinion about it and post it here.

The FPS variety is well, HL2 was far more engaging, having just played it for the hell of it. The missions are overly complicated to get and yield almost nothing of note, it's just more engineer grind material but for land weapons and equipment. The space side of things is basically not touched at all. Atmospherics is cool, I guess, but some of the planets look like a bowling ball with a rash and Horizons graphics from a generation of hardware ago sometimes look better.

This and a Fleet Carriers add nothing but half assed concepts to the game, and they've done nothing to fix the issues with content they've already released. If FDev went back around and fixed things as they did with mining, making it less of a boring mechanic for even just a little, they'd be better off. Also there are hundreds of decent and well thought out ideas from the community, but they seem to find ways to deliver on the thing the least people wanted. Walking on planets is good but not if it makes the game seem even more empty and lifeless than before. The fact they modellled everything BUT the ship interiors after spending 7 years in them and only them is just one example of dumb choices. ED is an amazing game for a short time, but it could of been one of the best if they weren't so cripplingly inept at improving what they have and not producing whatever the fuck this was.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    It's a mediocre attempt at an FPS. They haven't even bothered with basic lean/peak mechanics. Missions are challenging though, but it's not something to loud as anything groundbreaking. I too expected more. One can only hope they will improve on this, but given their history I'm not holding my breath. But I haven't played E in a while so I'm going to stick with it until I grow bored again (I have the founders edition so didn't pay anything for this).
    Last edited by helgur; May 21 2021 at 11:10:00 PM.

Yeah I have premium beta which I think is the same? I've more than gotten my money's worth from that for sure, but I've never bought anything else. I'm just sad the game has potential untouched after so long and it basically ia nearing the end of its feasible life. In 2 or 3 years I suspect even more of a drop off in support for it. I spool the thing up once a year, but this was the shortest I've ever spent on it. With nothing added in space, I found the lifeless eyes of shop vendors drilling into me, asking me "what the fuck are you doing here?"

I got the lifetime DLC pass just before release anticipating a lot more DLC than we ended up getting.
    I don't do the whole shooter game thing that infests consoles so this DLC is not relevant to me, IMO. My explorer Clipper, the ISS Dora Marquez, is now up to 46ly range but they borked that as the random surface stuff in Odyssey can apparently be found on any planet, even if nobody's ever been there.

Anyone else getting the occasional low-res texture or low-poly model? I went in a station the other day and it looked like the lift had been screwed up & somebody had tried to straighten it by hand.

I did notice that Steam now has the user defined tag Early Access for the DLC.

I did take this picture from this from this fully released and full price DLC:
      Spoiler:

The way the background spun was nice, hopefully they include exterior windows on stations.

Also where's the ice worlds they promised us for Odyssey?

NBS tho, they have really oversold the game on promised features since the kickstarter days (walking around your ships was something that was going to come to the game early on IIRC)

I can't get in to check (Taupe Cobra, Blue Cobra, Blue Cobra, Taupe Cobra, wtf?) but I hear that ravines & canyons on existing planets have vanished, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Netjerenbau View Post
    I can't get in to check (Taupe Cobra, Blue Cobra, Blue Cobra, Taupe Cobra, wtf?) but I hear that ravines & canyons on existing planets have vanished, too.
    There is talk about this on the Elite Dangerous forum.

Some people have reported that if they have been getting this error they can quit Odyssey, launch Horizons in a different play mode (solo), jump system, save out, and then Odyssey will let them play again.

Doesn't work for everyone and it may just be coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Nax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netjerenbau View Post
    There is talk about this on the Elite Dangerous forum.

Some people have reported that if they have been getting this error they can quit Odyssey, launch Horizons in a different play mode (solo), jump system, save out, and then Odyssey will let them play again.

Doesn't work for everyone and it may just be coincidence.
    Yeah, It took me ages to find a level 3 plasma pistol & I didn't want to risk losing it.

I'm getting some seriously low quality areas.

These are the lifts to the concourse:
      Spoiler:

On the inside:
      Spoiler:

The gun shop is made of cardboard?
      Spoiler:

Yet the area outside of the window looks fine:
      Spoiler: