hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 266 of 333 FirstFirst ... 166216256263264265266267268269276316 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,320 of 6643

Thread: Meet the next President of the United States

And given that this is the defacto lol America thread.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=16740721
    Guns don't kill people, holsters do.

sent from a fone

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

sent from a fone
    Now, can you imagine what will be happening during Republican convention in Florida, when all those closeted, gun carrying GOPers start giving each other reacharounds in dark corners of convention hall?

"But officer, I just gave him a friendly Texan embrace, and his gun went off prematurely!"

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post

sent from a fone
    Now, can you imagine what will be happening during Republican convention in Florida, when all those closeted, gun carrying GOPers start giving each other reacharounds in dark corners of convention hall?

"But officer, I just gave him a friendly Texan embrace, and his gun went off prematurely!"
    Rapid Fire 5.
    Audacter calumniare,
    semper aliquid haeret

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolf Miller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Wallstreet Journal: Romney is both confused and politically dumb (in the way he dealt with the Supreme Court decision, Romneycare, and Obamacare).

The Wallstreet Journal you ask?

Apparently so ...
    WSJ has a rather wide array of right, and even occasionally some left by my viewing (the left tends to be purely based in economics though, not in editorial/opinion)
    Yeah, sure. Politically it is pretty much seen as a Republican rag though. Whether or not they are far enough to the right for you I can't say. What I can say is that this was said in an editorial ...

Wallstreet Journal: Romney is both confused and politically dumb (in the way he dealt with the Supreme Court decision, Romneycare, and Obamacare).

Apparently so ...
    WSJ has a rather wide array of right, and even occasionally some left by my viewing (the left tends to be purely based in economics though, not in editorial/opinion)
    Yeah, sure. Politically it is pretty much seen as a Republican rag though. Whether or not they are far enough to the right for you I can't say. What I can say is that this was said in an editorial ...
    WSJ editorial says Romney is confused and politically dumb? Holy shit...What's next, Salt Lake City Tribune endorsing Obama?

Meanwhile:
    http://www.advocate.com/politics/201...e-sex-partners

I've almost run out of outrage. Almost.

sent from a fone
    Jan Brewer is a train wreck for her state. During the whole 'deathpanel' episode so cut so deeply in the states medical budget that she'd rather let her own state's deadly ill citizens die than offer them the necessary treatment. Frankly, I think she just hates everyone.

BTW, dude, you should really put some [NSFW] tags on that link. The first thing I could think when that page popped up was: "What's wrong with you faaaaaaccceeeeee!" Plinket style. That's not funny yo!

Apparently so ...
    WSJ editorial says Romney is confused and politically dumb? Holy shit...What's next, Salt Lake City Tribune endorsing Obama?
    Apparently the first time since Richard Nixon they have come out this strong. I wouldn't know. I'm not a frequent reader of WSJ editorials ...

Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by punkboy101 View Post
    Of course, because after gaining the Presidency of a country involved in two large(ish) wars and going down the shitter economically after years of mis-management and deregulation, he should have just waved his magic wand and fixed it overnight. If only he'd have returned to the gold standard and brought all the troops home from every country in the world in a week I'm sure things would be so much better right now.
    No, you don't fix things overnight. Four years is a pretty decent stretch of time to start fixing things, but I haven't seen much progress in that direction, have you? He could have brought a lot of troops home in four years, but he doesn't want to.

Agree's that he can't fix global recession, then claims it's a cop-out. Really? Really? Did you just do that?
    Did you really just pounce on a thing I said and draw completely the wrong conclusion because I hadn't spelled it out to the letter? People use the excuse of the global economy as a reason why their domestic economy hasn't done better. Sure, global trade and markets have some impact on a country's economic picture, but it's not the whole story. I especially found it interesting how with the recent troubles in Europe, American commentators were blaming that on America's poor economic performance. When in fact that helps the US, if investors move from the Euro to the perceived safe haven of US dollars and treasuries, then that keeps interest rates low for the US government.

The US could, and SHOULD start fixing it's problems. But you see the problem is there is lot's of people in the finance industry who don't want the problems fixed, and they buy politicians to ensure they don't act against their interests. Anytime someone tries to do something, they get blocked. It's a shitty situation, but I's trust Obama a lot more than "I'm a job creator (who created jobs overseas) with dodgy offshore accounts" Romney.
    Why would you trust Obama more? He's one of the top beneficiaries of finance industry campaign contributions.
    0/10; no one can be this stupid, not even a troll ...

Apparently so ...
    My point is Romney is the candidate of exclusion. He was what's left after all the crazier ones got weeded out. Therefore, nobody on the right is really happy he's their candidate.

My point is Romney is the candidate of exclusion. He was what's left after all the crazier ones got weeded out. Therefore, nobody on the right is really happy he's their candidate.
    Romney is a leveraged buyout fund manager. This is as close to WSJ audience as one can get. I can understand WSJ slamming someone like Bachmann or Ron Paul, but to say these things about one of their own?! And this is after the Boehner comment the other day? And then there is Rupert Murdoch sniping after Romney on Twitter...

Something is going on. Not sure if this is just "silly season" during VP selection process, but it feels like Mitt did not help himself at the Bilderberg. Typically this type of sniping going on around the edges, to change candidate's policy on one issue or another. But these hits are targeted at Romney's core. It's not like he is going to become likeable all of sudden.

Most of the moneyed people do not give a fuck who is President. They will be OK if the Mao Zedong is elected as POTUS, as far as policy is concerned. I think they slowly realizing that Obama is the only thing that keeps people from getting pitchforks and torches. If Romney is elected and the economy tanks again, like it did in 2008, bad things will happen to rich people. They can rely on Teabaggers as much as they want, but when there is an angry crowd gathering around you summer home in Hamptons, a bunch of 80 y/o teabaggers in Arizona is not much help.

President is mostly a figurehead. Romney makes a very lousy figurehead, especially in these trying times. That's why I think it will be close, but not too much.
    Last edited by Don Rumata; July 9 2012 at 10:51:36 PM.

Most of the moneyed people do not give a fuck who is President. They will be OK if the Mao Zedong is elected as POTUS, as far as policy is concerned.
    Yeah, but many of them aren't satisfied with doing okay, it's just more more more. Which you can see by the amount of money they spend on republican campaigns. For instance buying an election for Walker with out of state money.

If only there'd be some pitchforks and torches just around the corner, but there isn't. I'm gonna be old and gray before that becomes even remotely realistic. Mebbe you get some riots or sumthin within ten years, but they won't be targeted at the, as you say, moneyed people.
    WoT: Mike_Hammer
    Tanks are like Pokemon, gotta collect 'em all.....

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer

sent from a fone
    That's actually pretty impressive. Most holsters have the trigger guard covered up. I'm still trying to picture exactly how one would go about doing that without yanking the gun out and wedging a finger into the guard. Then there is the fact that most holstered weapons face straight downwards.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Maybe he had it cocked. Some dummies do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata
    Most of the moneyed people do not give a fuck who is President. They will be OK if the Mao Zedong is elected as POTUS, as far as policy is concerned. I think they slowly realizing that Obama is the only thing that keeps people from getting pitchforks and torches. If Romney is elected and the economy tanks again, like it did in 2008, bad things will happen to rich people. They can rely on Teabaggers as much as they want, but when there is an angry crowd gathering around you summer home in Hamptons, a bunch of 80 y/o teabaggers in Arizona is not much help.
    How much did Occupy Wall Street, with it's hundreds of thousands (or millions) of people affect the stock market? Probably not at all.

How much would it be affected if one disgruntled citizen went around the country knocking off fund managers, executives, etc.? All bets are off.
    Last edited by Nordstern; July 10 2012 at 12:45:48 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna
    China rover is landing on the Moon.
    Iirc that one was hit by an ied on landing.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    About a year ago (a little less) I said on here that the Occupy movement would achieve pretty much fuck all.

I was right.

Eat shit, hippies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    About a year ago (a little less) I said on here that the Occupy movement would achieve pretty much fuck all.

I was right.

Eat shit, hippies.
    Yeah, there was this guy also shown on a video here, where he said without violence nothing will be achieved, that you gotta go all French revolution on "you fascists".

Buut, like I said, that's not gonna happen before I'm old and grey, probably not even then.
    Last edited by Qui Shon; July 10 2012 at 10:12:36 AM.
    WoT: Mike_Hammer
    Tanks are like Pokemon, gotta collect 'em all.....

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer

מלך יהודים
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui Shon View Post

I was right.

Eat shit, hippies.
    Yeah, there was this guy also shown on a video here, where he said without violence nothing will be achieved, that you gotta go all French revolution on "you fascists".

Buut, like I said, that's not gonna happen before I'm old and grey, probably not even then.
    He's right. If I'm not mistaken large social/cultural changes which they wanted to implement never happened before without violence. A whole fuckload of it.

There is one accomplishment OWS can claim and it's that the various progressive camps are a lot less quiet than they were before. Granted, there's no way to really discern campaign noise from general anti-right noise, but I'll give them some credit for it. They pushed enough left story-lines into mainstream news to make Republican candidates look like total assholes as well.

Just food for thought.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    There is one accomplishment OWS can claim and it's that the various progressive camps are a lot less quiet than they were before. Granted, there's no way to really discern campaign noise from general anti-right noise, but I'll give them some credit for it. They pushed enough left story-lines into mainstream news to make Republican candidates look like total assholes as well.

Just food for thought.
    Republican candidates have never needed help looking like total assholes, anymore than mainstream news has needed encouragement to report left-leaning news.

Just food for thought.
    Republican candidates have never needed help looking like total assholes, anymore than mainstream news has needed encouragement to report left-leaning news.
    And while that's true, you're wrong about OWS not having had any effect at all.

What didn't happen was that OWS grew into some sort of progressive movement for change. That didn't happen. It also didn't get co-opted into the Democratic party like the teaparty was by the Republican party. That also didn't happen. But it did spark a lot of resentment against the 'masters of the universe', and basically their protective Republican cronies. That did certainly happen. They also injected a whole new narrative into the political dialog. That also happened, things that weren't talked about before OWS, like wealth distribution are now clearly on the agenda. And, maybe more important, I think it scared quite a lot of the previously thought untouchable rich and powerful, not least those in the Republican party. And that chimera of pitchforks and torches got a lot of them thinking. And so you got Warren Buffet suddenly coming out for higher taxes for the rich. That would never have happened without OWS and their focus on how little the wealth pay in taxes in the US.

So the OWS didn't have the effect that some hoped for or some expected: no revolution and no new progressive political movement. But you can't dismiss the effect that they did have entirely either. And all that OWS resentment still simmers just beneath the surface in the US. And don't think that won't ever flare up again the way things are going ...

Just food for thought.
    If/when things get worse, and more discussion is had about where things have gone, OWS will get brought up. Someone will mention it, and it might make people remember that people tried to tell them that things were bad once and nobody really listened.

That's about all I expect to come of it.

Alternatively things will get better and nobody will care.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.