hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 267 of 333 FirstFirst ... 167217257264265266267268269270277317 ... LastLast
Results 5,321 to 5,340 of 6647

Thread: Meet the next President of the United States

There is one accomplishment OWS can claim and it's that the various progressive camps are a lot less quiet than they were before. Granted, there's no way to really discern campaign noise from general anti-right noise, but I'll give them some credit for it. They pushed enough left story-lines into mainstream news to make Republican candidates look like total assholes as well.

Just food for thought.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolf Miller View Post
    There is one accomplishment OWS can claim and it's that the various progressive camps are a lot less quiet than they were before. Granted, there's no way to really discern campaign noise from general anti-right noise, but I'll give them some credit for it. They pushed enough left story-lines into mainstream news to make Republican candidates look like total assholes as well.

Just food for thought.
    Republican candidates have never needed help looking like total assholes, anymore than mainstream news has needed encouragement to report left-leaning news.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post

Just food for thought.
    Republican candidates have never needed help looking like total assholes, anymore than mainstream news has needed encouragement to report left-leaning news.
    And while that's true, you're wrong about OWS not having had any effect at all.

What didn't happen was that OWS grew into some sort of progressive movement for change. That didn't happen. It also didn't get co-opted into the Democratic party like the teaparty was by the Republican party. That also didn't happen. But it did spark a lot of resentment against the 'masters of the universe', and basically their protective Republican cronies. That did certainly happen. They also injected a whole new narrative into the political dialog. That also happened, things that weren't talked about before OWS, like wealth distribution are now clearly on the agenda. And, maybe more important, I think it scared quite a lot of the previously thought untouchable rich and powerful, not least those in the Republican party. And that chimera of pitchforks and torches got a lot of them thinking. And so you got Warren Buffet suddenly coming out for higher taxes for the rich. That would never have happened without OWS and their focus on how little the wealth pay in taxes in the US.

So the OWS didn't have the effect that some hoped for or some expected: no revolution and no new progressive political movement. But you can't dismiss the effect that they did have entirely either. And all that OWS resentment still simmers just beneath the surface in the US. And don't think that won't ever flare up again the way things are going ...

Just food for thought.
    If/when things get worse, and more discussion is had about where things have gone, OWS will get brought up. Someone will mention it, and it might make people remember that people tried to tell them that things were bad once and nobody really listened.

That's about all I expect to come of it.

Alternatively things will get better and nobody will care.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    People will muddle through, basically.

http://www.dailypaul.com/244043/yaho...-vote#comments

Four years after Barack Obama won the support of 66 percent of voters aged 18 to 29, Republicans are working on a fresh approach to bring younger voters and candidates into the fold, using a coalition of traditional campaign organizations, super PACs, nonprofit advocacy groups and policy-based think tanks.

And even Republicans organizing these efforts admit it's going to take some work.

Two groups, the Young Guns Action Fund and Maverick PAC—the latter was co-founded by George P. Bush, nephew of former President George W. Bush and son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush—will focus on finding young Republican political talent and supporting them with money. The two organizations announced a strategic partnership Tuesday that organizers hope will increase engagement with voters that were lost to Obama in 2008. One short-term goal, of course, is to narrow the enthusiasm gap between young Republicans and Democrats, but ultimately, they're looking far beyond the next election.

"The relationship is about developing something for the long-term that looks past just this November," YG Action Fund President John Murray told reporters during a breakfast meeting in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday. "By the midterms in 2014, perhaps we've made a little more progress; by the next presidential we've made some more progress, and [we've gained] ... the capacity to build that over time because it's going to take time."

Here's how the partnership will work: The YG Action fund, a super PAC, will scour the country looking for new young Republican House and Senate candidates. (The group is similar to, but independent from, the National Republican Congressional Committee's "Young Guns" program.) The Action fund will support these new GOP candidates and independently bolster their campaigns. Meanwhile, MavPAC will build its own base of young, new donors and fundraising bundlers, whom they plan to connect with the new recruits. The two groups will share data based on the information they gather from new supporters. They plan to spend $5 million this election cycle on the joint project.

YG Action Fund will recruit the pilots and cover the air war, while MavPAC rallies the boots on the ground.

Organizers say they hope to make some headway with younger voters this cycle, but they aren't promising a Republican revolution by November.

"We want to manage expectations," said MavPac co-founder Bush. "We don't want to say it's going to swing 180 degrees to the other side. I think it's worth the effort. I think to leave a complete demographic group like this uncontested is a mistake for the Republican Party."

To reach the goal, MavPAC and YG Action Fund leaders both pointed to Obama's success four years ago, and how he was able to "capture the imagination" of young people in his speeches. Now, they say, many of those same voters have graduated from college, are struggling to find work and are disappointed. Republicans plan to capitalize off that frustration.

"I am not here to say that there's some magic wand we're going to wave and all these voters are going to suddenly vote Republican," Murray said. "I think what we recognize is that there's a unique moment in time where there's a real choice being presented in this country, and many of these voters, once you articulate that voice, tend to say, 'You know, I want this freedom and opportunity, and I'm concerned about it.'"

MavPAC and YG Action aren't the only groups focused on shoring up the Republican base of young voters this cycle. American Crossroads, a group co-founded by Republican operatives Karl Rove and Ed Gillespie, announced the formation of Crossroads Generation earlier this year. In 2010, conservative operatives launched Generation Opportunity, which conducts nationwide voter registration drives targeting the younger set. Free from the restrictions of campaign finance laws, those independent groups will work to amplify the efforts of traditional party organizations.

Said YG Action Fund spokesman Brad Dayspring: "There's an opportunity to capture the imagination of those voters."
    GOP establishment status: STILL FUCKING RETARDED.

Seriously, they come up with this plan to draw in the youth vote WHEN RON PAUL ALREADY DID THE WORK FOR THEM!

Ron Paul has singlehandedly gotten more people of all ages and other demographic terms involved in the GOP process than ANY other GOP candidate in recent history, but oh no he's unelectable.

On top of that the MASS GOP kicked out an 18 year old delegate who was duly elected, way to bring in the youth vote.
    Last edited by Takon Orlani; July 11 2012 at 11:24:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Takon Orlani View Post

Four years after Barack Obama won the support of 66 percent of voters aged 18 to 29, Republicans are working on a fresh approach to bring younger voters and candidates into the fold, using a coalition of traditional campaign organizations, super PACs, nonprofit advocacy groups and policy-based think tanks.

And even Republicans organizing these efforts admit it's going to take some work.

Two groups, the Young Guns Action Fund and Maverick PAC—the latter was co-founded by George P. Bush, nephew of former President George W. Bush and son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush—will focus on finding young Republican political talent and supporting them with money. The two organizations announced a strategic partnership Tuesday that organizers hope will increase engagement with voters that were lost to Obama in 2008. One short-term goal, of course, is to narrow the enthusiasm gap between young Republicans and Democrats, but ultimately, they're looking far beyond the next election.

"The relationship is about developing something for the long-term that looks past just this November," YG Action Fund President John Murray told reporters during a breakfast meeting in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday. "By the midterms in 2014, perhaps we've made a little more progress; by the next presidential we've made some more progress, and [we've gained] ... the capacity to build that over time because it's going to take time."

Here's how the partnership will work: The YG Action fund, a super PAC, will scour the country looking for new young Republican House and Senate candidates. (The group is similar to, but independent from, the National Republican Congressional Committee's "Young Guns" program.) The Action fund will support these new GOP candidates and independently bolster their campaigns. Meanwhile, MavPAC will build its own base of young, new donors and fundraising bundlers, whom they plan to connect with the new recruits. The two groups will share data based on the information they gather from new supporters. They plan to spend $5 million this election cycle on the joint project.

YG Action Fund will recruit the pilots and cover the air war, while MavPAC rallies the boots on the ground.

Organizers say they hope to make some headway with younger voters this cycle, but they aren't promising a Republican revolution by November.

"We want to manage expectations," said MavPac co-founder Bush. "We don't want to say it's going to swing 180 degrees to the other side. I think it's worth the effort. I think to leave a complete demographic group like this uncontested is a mistake for the Republican Party."

To reach the goal, MavPAC and YG Action Fund leaders both pointed to Obama's success four years ago, and how he was able to "capture the imagination" of young people in his speeches. Now, they say, many of those same voters have graduated from college, are struggling to find work and are disappointed. Republicans plan to capitalize off that frustration.

"I am not here to say that there's some magic wand we're going to wave and all these voters are going to suddenly vote Republican," Murray said. "I think what we recognize is that there's a unique moment in time where there's a real choice being presented in this country, and many of these voters, once you articulate that voice, tend to say, 'You know, I want this freedom and opportunity, and I'm concerned about it.'"

MavPAC and YG Action aren't the only groups focused on shoring up the Republican base of young voters this cycle. American Crossroads, a group co-founded by Republican operatives Karl Rove and Ed Gillespie, announced the formation of Crossroads Generation earlier this year. In 2010, conservative operatives launched Generation Opportunity, which conducts nationwide voter registration drives targeting the younger set. Free from the restrictions of campaign finance laws, those independent groups will work to amplify the efforts of traditional party organizations.

Said YG Action Fund spokesman Brad Dayspring: "There's an opportunity to capture the imagination of those voters."

Seriously, they come up with this plan to draw in the youth vote WHEN RON PAUL ALREADY DID THE WORK FOR THEM!

Ron Paul has singlehandedly gotten more people of all ages and other demographic terms involved in the GOP process than ANY other GOP candidate in recent history, but oh no he's unelectable.

On top of that the MASS GOP kicked out an 18 year old delegate who was duly elected, way to bring in the youth vote.
    Ehhh, they kicked out 17 of those delegates, mostly young Republicans in Mass. Let's face it, it is all bullshit. The GOP wants the young votes, not the young voters. There's no room for their opinions or views, but there sure is for their 'support'. Which, basically, holds true for Ron Paul.

So tell me, why is he still in the GOP? He, and his massive share of Republican leaning young voters are simply not wanted. So why still trying to desperately cling onto these dinosaurs? FFS, start your own party already!

Shocking I know

He is unelectable, and the reason for that is some of his ideas are pants-on-head retarded. Ron Paul has a large support base, but it's still a minority albeit a vocal one. Most people look at the stuff he comes out with and just go . It's not the media, or some kind of conspiracy preventing Ron Paul getting elected, it's Ron Paul who prevents Ron Paul getting elected.

Most political parties only want their youth wings to do one thing, indoctrinating people so they become life long voters for that particular party. They certainly aren't interested in putting forward younger candidates who might decide that some of the parties ideas are pretty retarded and start rocking the boat.
    yes, I am Le terribad at BF3

Question for those more in the know about the Tea Party than I, was The Newsroom being fictitious when it said that the tea party had basically been subverted by the Koch brothers? I know its a ficitional TV show but without knowing too much about the Tea Party it seems possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrien View Post
    Question for those more in the know about the Tea Party than I, was The Newsroom being fictitious when it said that the tea party had basically been subverted by the Koch brothers? I know its a ficitional TV show but without knowing too much about the Tea Party it seems possible?
    Pretty much. What started as a genuine movement against government excess was quickly turned into a fundamentalist corporatist movement because people with money (including the Kochs) knew what to say to get those angry people to adopt their agenda.

Its the reason why the Tea party movement has atrophied so much since '10, because the people they got elected proved to be no different (or even worse) than those they replaced.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora148 View Post
    Pretty much. What started as a genuine movement against government excess was quickly turned into a fundamentalist corporatist movement because people with money (including the Kochs) knew what to say to get those angry people to adopt their agenda.

Its the reason why the Tea party movement has atrophied so much since '10, because the people they got elected proved to be no different (or even worse) than those they replaced.
    It's always been amusing to me how the tea party claims to be against government excesses, never said a peep during the Bush years, started getting loud once a black guy was elected.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

It's always been amusing to me how the tea party claims to be against government excesses, never said a peep during the Bush years, started getting loud once a black guy was elected.
    Poll any tea partier. Ask, were you aware of the deficits funded by Bush from 01-08? Most will say yes, then follow it up with reasoning about how they A) were really against it but too much a minority or B) freedom crying eagle.

Poll any tea partier. Ask, were you aware of the deficits funded by Bush from 01-08? Most will say yes, then follow it up with reasoning about how they A) were really against it but too much a minority or B) freedom crying eagle.
    C) He wasn't a true ScotsmanRepublican

C) He wasn't a true ScotsmanRepublican
    Their representatives on the hill now truly are. For all the boasts about bringing about a revolution: what is really left of those poor deluded and moronic sods? Encapsulate, incorporate, exploit, all bankrolled by corporatist billionaires. And that holds for the lot of them. Even with all the armwaiving, they're now all goosestepping along with the rest of them, like lemmings right into the abyss. No wonder a sizeable portion of the OWS were ex-teabaggers ... guess they had enough of getting shat on elephant style ...

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    No wonder a sizeable portion of the OWS were ex-teabaggers ... guess they had enough of getting shat on elephant style ...
    wha?

Quote Originally Posted by F*** My Aunt Rita View Post
    No wonder a sizeable portion of the OWS were ex-teabaggers ... guess they had enough of getting shat on elephant style ...
    wha?
    You didn't notice? Or did you block it out?

wha?
    They really weren't Barth. There were a few in there, but a sizable majority were pissed off people of left leaning types.

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    wha?
    You didn't notice? Or did you block it out?
    The only people I saw there that were even remotely teabaggerish were paultards holding "End The Fed" signs and generally being annoying cunts.

wha?
    They really weren't Barth. There were a few in there, but a sizable majority were pissed off people of left leaning types.
    It was widely reported that quite a number of the protesters at those OWS events had previously protested along with the teaparty people. Probably not the right-wing extremist gun-toting "Get your government hands of my medicare" geriatrics I don't think, but there they were.

And no wonder, there are differences, and the Koch bros made sure they were blown out of all proportion, but there were also quite a number of similarities. When the teaparty wasn't corrupted into the fascist fold, they weren't much enamoured by Wall Street and big money either. They certainly weren't the Trotskists in a Republican coat from Takon fairy tales though ...

But ofcourse, if you keep thinking about OWS as a modern day sleep-in moved from Haight Ashbury to Wall street then yeah, the idea might seem a bit strange to you ...

Ehhh, they kicked out 17 of those delegates, mostly young Republicans in Mass. Let's face it, it is all bullshit. The GOP wants the young votes, not the young voters. There's no room for their opinions or views, but there sure is for their 'support'. Which, basically, holds true for Ron Paul.

So tell me, why is he still in the GOP? He, and his massive share of Republican leaning young voters are simply not wanted. So why still trying to desperately cling onto these dinosaurs? FFS, start your own party already!
    The thought has gone through all of our heads.

It all comes back to brand recognition and the two party charade that has been constant for quite some time.

People assume all third party cannot win, and in the case of the existing parties, C L etc , It's true because the leadership of those parties is completely incompetent and in most counties doesn't exist.

We are trying to take the gop back to the roots of small government and civil liberties circa 1952 platform.

Some states have had success throwing out the old guard, others get the Mass treatment. The Mass gop is a giant joke anyways, but they do have influence.

Believe me, if all the parties got their share of attention from an independent media I would love founding a new party. We certainly have the numbers and structure.

And no, Ron Paul isn't the reason Ron Paul can't get elected. There is a conscious effort to make people think he is anti American and dangerous, when he advocates for sound money and peace. Look at the questions and follow-ups during 2008. It's absolutely amazing how they got people to believe that being pro peace could kill more people.
    Last edited by Takon Orlani; July 11 2012 at 07:36:25 PM.