hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Monday] I'm old Gandalf

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    Shit. Is it realy 14 years since I joined this community? How did that happen? Do we still know derek?
    I never knew derek.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Shit. Is it realy 14 years since I joined this community? How did that happen? Do we still know derek?
    I never knew derek.
    ban apr 9s

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    New head coach with BOLD expectations
    Alum Derek Flann keeps tradition of hall-of-fame coach Steve Solem alive
    Written By: Joe Brown | Oct 30th 2019 - 10pm.

BOLD head football coach Derek Flann (middle) looks on during a Section 5A playoff game against Dawson-Boyd on Oct. 26 in Olivia. Joe Brown / West Central Tribune

OLIVIA — After every win this fall, BOLD assistant coach Dan Gross gave new head coach Derek Flann a friendly jab.

“He tells me my job is safe for one more week,” Flann said with a laugh.

While football for the Warriors isn’t as crazy as one might expect compared to Texas football, Flann is trying to live up to the high expectations set forth by the patriarch of the BOLD program: Steve Solem.

“There’s been a lot of perception of what Steve is in the community,” Flann said. ‘There’s an iconic status for him.”

Solem’s resume is hard to match. Over 33 years, the Warriors went 291-80 under Solem’s leadership, with state championships in 1990 and 1991 and state runner-up finishes in 1992, 1998, 2014 and 2018. In 2015, Solem was named to the Minnesota Football Coaches Association’s Hall of Fame.

Flann, a 1999 BOLD graduate, was on that 1998 squad. He knows the tradition of excellence the Warriors have had. And he wants to make his mark on the program by mixing in some of the tradition Solem left while adding in his own wrinkles.

So far, so good for Flann as BOLD is 10-0 and plays Canby for the Section 5A championship at 2 p.m. Friday at Southwest Minnesota State University in Marshall.

“I told the people when I was hired that you’re not hiring Steve Solem No. 2,” Flann said. “Steve and I are very different and I learned a lot about football from Steve. There’s a lot of things he did that I really believe in. But at the same time, it’s got to be my program.”

Helping in the transition has been the presence of two four-year starters in wide receiver/defensive back Gavin Vosika and quarterback/defensive back Jordan Sagedahl.

“When Solem was coach, I would say he’s laid back. And with Derek, we take things a little more seriously,” Vosika said. “There’s more rules and it’s more strict. But Derek’s a great coach.”

Sagedahl added, “I can definitely see the emotional side of Flann with all the speeches he gives and the compassion he has for us and the program. It’s cool seeing he was Solem’s player and now he’s coaching after him. It’s cool seeing how Solem taught him, he brings to us. It’s a little bit of a change but overall, he’s got the same philosophy.”

Flann said that Solem had a similar fiery demeanor when he was a player but with an array of talented assistants to do the yelling. Solem was able to delegate more at the tail end to assistants like Flann, who sports a burly figure complete with a Yosemite Sam mustache that screams intensity.

“(Solem) had earned the ability to do that,” Flann said. “He could mellow out because these kids would go home and hear from their dad about how Solem used to chew their (hindquarters) and they were concerned enough. And the guys we had out there were good enough to where he could do that.”

While Flann has put his own emphasis on things — namely on defense and special teams, where Flann said, “I think we’ve onside kicked more this year than Steve did in 35 years” — an immediate focus was retaining Solem’s staff.

“When I found out I had the job, the first thing was making sure those guys were still planning on being around,” Flann said. “We don’t want a break from the past; we want to continue it the best we can.

“It’s not a matter of save the program; it’s don’t destroy the program. Don’t turn hard right and crash into the rocks and you’ll be fine.”

Prior to this season, Flann had 10 years of head coaching experience as the co-head coach at Tracy-Milroy-Balaton along with Randy McIntire. Three years ago, he came back to BOLD High School as a means to getting closer to family.

“When he came here, I knew he was my buddy Blake Flann’s uncle and that’s it,” Vosika said.

“Meeting him (as a freshman) and seeing him come to my house to talk football with my dad (offensive coordinator Daren Sagedahl) and stuff like that with the coaches,” Jordan said. “Flann’s really grown on me.”

Undefeated and one game away from the 12th state appearance in school history, the Warriors are seeing the same kind of success with Flann they had with Solem.

“I think it verifies him. He’s the real deal,” Jordan said. “He’s meant to be here and we’re meant to be here right now.”

Though Flann admits that reaching a section final is the minimum requirement of the job thanks to Solem’s success.

“When I played here, we were in a section final game every year,” Flann said. “Ever since I’ve coached here, we’ve been in the section final game every year. I’ve achieved the minimum at this point. It’s been a weight gradually taken off my shoulders as we’ve been successful.”

Flann added, “I’m glad I’m in the position I’m in. We all kind of wish Steve was still here but if it’s got to be somebody, I’ll take it.”

BOLD head football coach Derek Flann rides on the blocker sled during defensive line drills at practice Tuesday in Olivia. Joe Brown / West Central Tribune
    https://www.wctrib.com/sports/footba...D-expectations

Still rocking excellent facial hair, thats for sure.
    Last edited by walrus; August 26 2020 at 08:03:00 AM.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

I'm as fast as Derek 2020!

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    He's put on some weight that's for sure

Truly we are kindred spirits

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I never knew derek.
    Ban this filth.

jesus christ, derek has gotten fat

Spoiler:
    a large faecal log spread out on the oversized scrotum of a domestic pig
      Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelfreak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    tfw you realise F(S)HC has been one of the few constants throughout your adulthood.
    fuck.
    I was 23 when I first played Eve. What have I done with my life.
    ... i am 39 now, i was 21 when I first touched EvE. fucking hell. (I got my local LAN cafe to install it, lol).

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monkeysphere View Post
    Spheroid monkey, fears and reveres.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Also holy shit a day thread.

Turned 35 today, seriously what the fuck i'm meant to be a productive member of society by now.
    If you stop caring so much about it, you'll feel younger. Happy birthday, you young little shit

edit: Also it's "I'm old, Gandalf" not "I'm old Gandalf". What? You're literally a wizard, Harry?

There, I've criticised your grammar. That should make you feel younger (than me) by default. Should help Gandalf (yes THAT WAS INTENTIONAL)
    Thanks for the clarification, I was wondering if there was some appearance of a young Gandolf to put this in context. Or perhaps Grendelfreak was imagining himself a wizard as part of his midlife crisis.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by The Monkeysphere View Post
    “After years of tracking, this adult homo americanus has finally returned to his old territory. He now bears the engorged upper body that is the defining trait of the male americanus, so very different from the adolescent period of his life.”
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Also holy shit a day thread.

Turned 35 today, seriously what the fuck i'm meant to be a productive member of society by now.
    If you stop caring so much about it, you'll feel younger. Happy birthday, you young little shit

edit: Also it's "I'm old, Gandalf" not "I'm old Gandalf". What? You're literally a wizard, Harry?

There, I've criticised your grammar. That should make you feel younger (than me) by default. Should help Gandalf (yes THAT WAS INTENTIONAL)
    Thanks for the clarification, I was wondering if there was some appearance of a young Gandolf to put this in context. Or perhaps Grendelfreak was imagining himself a wizard as part of his midlife crisis.
    Grammar: The difference between helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.

Registered for VMworld today. I had to change age bracket. Since (last monday) I'm now in the 45-54 range. It honestly does not feel right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Registered for VMworld today. I had to change age bracket. Since (last monday) I'm now in the 45-54 range. It honestly does not feel right.
    I feel your pain.

When you're entering your birth year on an online form and get RSI from having to scroll back that far >.<

Happy Birthday old man.

Kind of weird to be one of the youngest ones in this thread so far
    Disregard Diamonds
    Acquire Cobblestone

neva forget

ITT: old fags challenged
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Hey! Less of the old ... fa ... hmmm.

*gets coat.
    Shitting up eve for .... well, longer than most of you scumbags.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smegs View Post

*gets coat.
    *gets someones keys from the bowl

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smegs View Post

*gets coat.
    *gets someones keys from the bowl