Small update on things.
- Season 12 launched with new episode, new enemies, and yet another reputation system.
- 7th anniversary event ongoing. You can earn a new ship with vouchers, or apply them to last year's project. There seems to be a glitch where each character on an account can earn 400 vouchers each for doing the featured episode, so you can complete this project within a day.
- Kits and kit modules can be upgraded.
- Item upgrade weekend just ended, but there will be another one starting March 1st.
- Our dilithium mine holding is now Tier 3. We still have a few special projects left, like the daily dilithium mining mission and the dilithium store discount.
- Spire holding is undergoing some upgrades as we speak (5 days left), then will be eligible for Tier 2. Thanks to the nice people who made that happen.
- Armada level is now 526. This means we have a 3.25% EXP bonus and a 15% discount on the dilithium cost of projects. That's huge.
For reasons I don't understand I am playing this again. Gearing up a little used fed alt to fly some proper cruisers and dinking around in the new missions over the past 3 years or so. Really really hate how much they love limited time exclusive stuff
How does the voucher thing work? I did the mission once on one character, the second time it didn't show the vouchers as reward. Are they bound to the account and not the character? (I didn't think of that then, not when I started typing and can't check right now.)
What's this? Another devblog?
Oh no...Star Trek Online has been live for just over seven years at this point, during which time we have been adding and updating new content to play, new systems to interact with, and new mechanics to utilize. Now, we are excited to announce that one major project going on is a re-balancing of a great number of the abilities and items that players use in combat.
*gasp*The goals boil down to these:
Increase the fun – Games are about having fun, and players should not be made to feel that their fun is “wrong.”
Player investment retains value – While things need to be adjusted, a setup that was optimized before should still be useful and effective afterwards.
Choices should be meaningful – Anywhere the game gives you a choice, there should be no choice that you always take nor one you never take.
Tactical Initiative has also received a few changes - it now lasts longer, but cannot have its cooldown reduced, and only affects the caster’s kit modules. Those changes are intended to make it so that the Tactical Initiative remains valuable to use while active, but changes the amount of performance spike that non-tactical captains get due to tactical captains, and ensures that non-kit abilities designed around a long cooldown retain that balance point.
Security Escorts should now be more useful while in combat– they now move faster to keep up with you better, and hit harder while out, but in return players are limited to one pair at a time.AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!but in return players are limited to one pair at a time.
I'll now probably regret only having tacs at 60. The character specific spec points are still the biggest anti-alt mechanic they have insisted on keeping.
I could pull out my original sci fed in a pinch. Never actually leveled an engineer
I'm a bit of a casual and have only just started playing again. My current character's only in the mid-teens and is a different class to my main. Has the patch hobbled me in some way? I don't fully understand.
I though as much. I did accidentally stumble upon the featured mission thing earlier, it was one I hadn't done before and gave me enough XP to skip a level entirely.
Does the fleet do anything these days? If I can figure out how I may apply to join with another character.
Fleet hasn't done anything together in years. It's rare to get 3 people online at the same time. But there are still benefits to joining the fleet, like:
- additional PVE content
- additional costume slot
- more customization options
- some fleet gear
- provisions from the various holdings
- opportunity to make more dilithium
Thanks, I do have one character in the fleet but she got to the interminably dull ds9 missions and I moved to another character, I'll have to defrost her.
To apply with another character do I still need to send a mail to your noreg character?
Just checked, I don't have the fleet rank to invite anyone.
I'll be on in a bit and will chime up in the fhc chat channel to see if you're around