hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WH40k Darktide - FPS coop shooter

ive seen it mentioned that lowering the number of worker threads used in the settings on the launcher can help stability.

not sure if that helps?

edit: i seem to be crashing all the time now too.. so i wonder if the issue is more server / network related than local machine stuff. it was ok first thing this morning.

probably going to be one of those "come back in a patch or two" games. Shame as what I played seemed fun.
    Last edited by Sandzibar; November 18 2022 at 05:38:29 PM.

It seems sometime during the past week when I was barely home and wasn't even using it, my computer went to shit, so that's probably the root cause for Darktide problems.

Ran all possible tests and updates, rebooted windows install etc etc but it's just slow as fuck - even tho every test says all components are fine. Just rebooting the fucker takes like 3 minutes, it was 20 seconds a week ago lol. I dunno.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Different kind of hell - a.k.a. no longer Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    It seems sometime during the past week when I was barely home and wasn't even using it, my computer went to shit, so that's probably the root cause for Darktide problems.

Ran all possible tests and updates, rebooted windows install etc etc but it's just slow as fuck - even tho every test says all components are fine. Just rebooting the fucker takes like 3 minutes, it was 20 seconds a week ago lol. I dunno.
    Hard drive starting to fail maybe?

Ayup. Once I reinstalled everything and then tried putting Steam and Darktide on my C: partition - voila everything works fine. Time to get a new disk for games

Managed to give it a go, currently mostly pew pewing with lazors and a shovel as a veteran.

edit:

aaaaaaand had my first encounter with memory leaks. Game allegedly uses under 4GB according to Task manager yet after a couple of missions started to stutter, checked again and my total RAM usage was up to 14GB even tho the game still only used under 4GB.
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; November 20 2022 at 06:06:32 PM.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

I'm tempted by darktide. it does look nice. It is still in beta, right?

Different kind of hell - a.k.a. no longer Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    I'm tempted by darktide. it does look nice. It is still in beta, right?
    Technically, yes. Full launch on the 30th, with pre-order beta access.

tempting..

Full disclosure: I'm a grumpy old man who whines about minor stuff:

I was super hyped about the game during the preview phase, Love Dan, love GW/40k area stuff, and loved the look of it. Level design is fantastic, and it's great fun with friends. That said, it feels pretty hollow out side of that. Doing missions with randos gets a bit stale.

other things i like to moan about: The control system is the worst of RSI inducing clickfest. The menus are a mess and partly don't work, and progression seems dull as fuck, powers wise. That'd be fine for a single player game with a story, but as an Online multi-player co-op, it doesn't seem to be a patch on Deep Rock Galactic.

but with friends it's great cathartic fun. so IDK. Torn.
    technology canít solve economic and political problems

Gameplay-wise it's pretty solid imo. If you played either vermintide game you know what to expect. The environments are probably the most standout aspect, some of them are really visually impressive.

Game's still a bit crashy, there are occasional matchmaking hiccups, and there are a few balance areas that need addressing (mostly psyker action economy), but it's improving day-by-day.

What it misses to vermintide is that mission-progression with a kind of story to get you going in the beginning.

The "mercenary picking his fights for the inquisition" is cool for lore but does not help with confusion when you are starting out. This leads to the random mission with random people feeling imho.

I just hope they can push out a kind of chaos-waste style gamemode, love me some random roguelike stuff in these games.
    Other than that I hugely enjoy it for short spells, new missions every week till release will keep me entertained easily.

This thing has a long way to go to improve various aspects of the game, which I'm hopeful for but when I remember how long it took them to listen to the player base to improve VT and VT2 from the buggy messes they were at release I ain't gonna hold my breath.

Buy it now or should I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Buy it now or should I wait?
    I say buy. It's good, and is getting better with each update.

Its good mindless funs to burn an hour or two on a night. Easy to pick up and play.

Box price isnt too steep.

Probably more fun at the harder difficulties and with people you can rely on, who are on voice. The Level 1 missions all seem to be a mad rush to the end as people race to level 30.

Do I need to play with randos or can I play with bots?
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Do I need to play with randos or can I play with bots?
    I've seen bots fill slots when someone leaves or crashes, but never from the outset of a mission. Don't think there's a way to run a bot-only room right now.

It will be added but not in the beta test I think. There was a developer message just about that the other day:

PLAYING SOLO WITH BOTS & PRIVATE LOBBIES, A NOTE FROM THE TEAM:
    We hope you’re enjoying your time in Tertium during the Pre-Order beta. We’ve been thrilled to see your excitement and reactions to Darktide. We’ve been hard at work gathering your feedback and bug reports while working on future patches to update stability & performance, balance adjustments, and squash out the bugs. That said, we’d like to take time to address a recurring couple of questions with you.

With Darktide, we set to work on a much-requested feature from the previous tide games: Dedicated Servers. We put considerable effort into engineering new technologies that would allow us to run dedicated servers at scale and run the huge hordes of our “Tide” games you have come to know and love. Dedicated Servers were a priority for us, and due to the Network Scale Test and Closed Beta, we were able to fully battle-test our dedicated servers (a special thank you to all who participated!).

Now we are confident in our Dedicated Servers, we would like to take the time and answer those recurring couple of questions that remain; “Can I play Darktide solo?”, “Can I play a private game with one or two of my friends?”.

The answers will be Yes, and Yes.

We’ve been working on an option to play exclusively in Solo Mode, where you will be hosting locally your own instance with bots. Because you will be hosting the AI and other game systems locally, this will increase performance cost. However, we continue to monitor and improve the performance where we can. Solo play is in its final stages of testing as we fix the last issues that remain. We aim to release this at Launch. If not, a patch shortly after that in December.

We have recently begun implementing Private Games as an option, and we’re in the middle stages of development for this. When launched, you can start a private game with 2-4 of your friends. We expect to be able to release this later in December.

We heard your feedback on these topics and needed some time to investigate the solutions we had available to us. We hope you enjoy these features when released and welcome further input on them.

Nice.
    nevar forget

Bought Vermintide 2 dlcs instead.

I'll wait till it has more meat around the bones. Seem like a really early product compared to what Vermintide has to offer.

Yeah, Vermintide 2 is a superpolished game compared to the current iteration of DT. It's worth buying it just to hear the banter between characters, let alone the gameplay