hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Durable boots/shoes

Durable boots/shoes

Bit of a dumb question, but after a decade of trying different styles/brands/materials I can't find what I want. Google is throwing up results that have already failed.

Anyone able to recommend a shoe/boot that would be suitable for:

20k-30k steps per day, 6 days a week (dumb measurement, but that's what I use )
    have grip at -25c/-13F (some of the materials used on soles harden up at low temps and turn into Ice skates)
    must be black
    doesn't have to be waterproof, but would be preferred
    wide toe box preferred
    will last 2 years
    don't weigh a ton

Have tried:
    classic steel toe work boots. (scruffs, caterpillar) Shitty fit, too heavy, hard rubber soles when cold
    walking boots (mammut, meindl, karrimor, high tech). great fit, ok weight, ok when cold. fell apart after 6 months and cost 200+
    walking shoes. great fit, great weight, good when cold (meindl, mammut, berghauss, salomon). fell apart after 3 months, also the cushioned part of the sole collapses after a few months
    trail runners (altra, karimmor). perfect fit, weight nothing. fell apart within 3 months
    ex austrian army boots. bad fit, fairly heavy, ok in cold, seem like they'd last for ever. (these were army surplus from the 80's). gave really bad calve pains and beginnings of blisters though.
    'smart shoes'. blisters everywhere, no grip

felt i got closest with walking boots/shoes but they're pricey and can't find anything durable enough to justify the $'s

I do hike a lot too, hence the unusual number of hiking shoes/boots I repurposed for work. RIP shoes.

worth a chance i guess. surely the perfect 'walk all day every day, sometimes in dumb conditions' shoe exists somewhere?

have some fitted? idk I have been looking for "good shoes" myself for a while now and everything you can buy in a normal store is of shit quality including, as you said yourself, the supposed "quality" brands and made to maybe last a season if you are lucky. I have thus resolved that one day when I got the necessary money, I'll get myself some proper ones from an actual cobbler.

P. sure it would pay off sooner than later, given the intended waste of money footwear has become.
    Last edited by FatFreddy; June 29 2020 at 11:47:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Do you need inserts in your footwear, Shiodome?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    Bit of a dumb question, but after a decade of trying different styles/brands/materials I can't find what I want. Google is throwing up results that have already failed.

have grip at -25c/-13F (some of the materials used on soles harden up at low temps and turn into Ice skates)
    must be black
    wide toe box preferred
    will last 2 years
    don't weigh a ton

Have tried:
    classic steel toe work boots. (scruffs, caterpillar) Shitty fit, too heavy, hard rubber soles when cold
    walking boots (mammut, meindl, karrimor, high tech). great fit, ok weight, ok when cold. fell apart after 6 months and cost 200+
    walking shoes. great fit, great weight, good when cold (meindl, mammut, berghauss, salomon). fell apart after 3 months, also the cushioned part of the sole collapses after a few months
    trail runners (altra, karimmor). perfect fit, weight nothing. fell apart within 3 months
    ex austrian army boots. bad fit, fairly heavy, ok in cold, seem like they'd last for ever. (these were army surplus from the 80's). gave really bad calve pains and beginnings of blisters though.

felt i got closest with walking boots/shoes but they're pricey and can't find anything durable enough to justify the $'s

I do hike a lot too, hence the unusual number of hiking shoes/boots I repurposed for work. RIP shoes.

worth a chance i guess. surely the perfect 'walk all day every day, sometimes in dumb conditions' shoe exists somewhere?
    not a long term review, but i recently acquired some Aku pilgrims on the recommendation of Cull. Current British Army High liability boots issued. Goretex, breathable, rated for 2 years of professional soldiering with a 35kg load on the back, so should be durable for you . 160+ at retail but easily available from ebay from presumably army store tealeafs for 80 (rare) to 100 (EZ) new. So far so comfy.

https://www.aku.it/en/product/catalo...t-fg-m_en.html

OH shit yeah, want it in black. Well , available in black at less supply than the MOD brown. 120 should be the cost target?

Id also consider heading to yorkshire and the Alt-Berg factory. Previous British issue boot maker(via a license. So can pick up Alt-berg defenders for good price. Leather waterproof without a goretex lining, so probably better in summer than the akus i linked above?)), but in reality the ones they actually sell now are handmade british boots with the ability to be resoled, so should last a lifetime. Top quality, pricey, custom fitting and so on. https://www.altberg.co.uk/
    Last edited by Duckslayer; July 4 2020 at 10:04:00 AM.

*roleplay

I have a pair of Haix that are definitely overkill for my use, but fit the bill perfectly. They make all sorts of boots for military, fire fighters and construction workers.

https://www.haix.co.uk/

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

must be black
    wide toe box preferred
    will last 2 years
    don't weigh a ton

Have tried:

not a long term review, but i recently acquired some Aku pilgrims on the recommendation of Cull. Current British Army High liability boots issued. Goretex, breathable, rated for 2 years of professional soldiering with a 35kg load on the back, so should be durable for you . 160+ at retail but easily available from ebay from presumably army store tealeafs for 80 (rare) to 100 (EZ) new. So far so comfy.

https://www.aku.it/en/product/catalo...t-fg-m_en.html

OH shit yeah, want it in black. Well , available in black at less supply than the MOD brown. 120 should be the cost target?

Id also consider heading to yorkshire and the Alt-Berg factory. Previous British issue boot maker(via a license. So can pick up Alt-berg defenders for good price. Leather waterproof without a goretex lining, so probably better in summer than the akus i linked above?)), but in reality the ones they actually sell now are handmade british boots with the ability to be resoled, so should last a lifetime. Top quality, pricey, custom fitting and so on. https://www.altberg.co.uk/
    Not sure about in black tbh

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

if wearing daily ducko i will hit you up for a mid term review in 8 weeks <3 this is a lifelong quest, i can wait always tell the young un's at work who can't cope with their 8 hour shifts (lol) you should always invest in your feet and your sleep (mattress, pillows etc)

if wearing daily ducko i will hit you up for a mid term review in 8 weeks <3 this is a lifelong quest, i can wait always tell the young un's at work who can't cope with their 8 hour shifts (lol) you should always invest in your feet and your sleep (mattress, pillows etc)
    im a month in and so far so good. Instantly fit with no wear in period. Get a bit sweaty when its roasting hot, but for goretex the breath-ability is ace. Cant complain so far. They are pretty rigid and the ankle support is stronk. The grip is ace, was supposed to be self cleaning but that's clearly marketing wank. few stamps clears the grips of mud. Only issue i have is super mild: a single bow knott for the laces doesnt hold, need to double tie my bows. More a laces issues than boot though. Best boots ive owned (not saying much tbf). Gonna go do a daytreck tomorrow so should get to try them out on some scree

Cul has had them for longer than me im sure he can concur.

*roleplay

please could you find a walk in freezer and spend 6 hours in it (-22c ideally), let me know if the grip changes. cheers.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    How to avoid blisters: wear two pairs of socks.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard