hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: So, Microprose back from the dead. (Sea Power thread)

So, Microprose back from the dead. (Sea Power thread)

Title's a bit silly to say the least.

Triassic was apparently formed by part of the Cold Waters team because they wanted to do more cold war, and Killerfish is doing some sort of resurrection of 1942: The Pacific Air War in War At Sea.

there is also this thing, i know fuck all about, but looks to be some sort of Carrier wing commander thing.
    Last edited by Liare; May 29 2020 at 11:52:50 PM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

What dark sorcery is this?

weird.

Someone wants to ride the nostalgia wave and bought the company name?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    weird.

Someone wants to ride the nostalgia wave and bought the company name?
    They are riding their own nostalgia wave: according to Wikipedia, a former Bohemia Interactive (Australian office) developer, who founded his own military simulation company, bought whatever part of the IP (logo, name, etc) he could starting in 2005.

Original founder Bill Stealey got wind of that and joined the new company in an unspecified capacity.

Mild hype seems to be in order?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Silent Service did get a lot of playtime from me. Mild hype confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    So Bridge Commander essentially. How well did that work? I never played it, but I always liked the idea.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    So Bridge Commander essentially. How well did that work? I never played it, but I always liked the idea.
    In the same boat tbh. I didn't play it 'back in the day'. Flight sim communities are losing their shit over it though.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Really hope they live up to the name, Microprose titles was a big part of my videogaming childhood. I probably wasted more hours playing 1942: PAW than Civilization, and they where both Microprose titles.

Hype is at defcon 4, command is standing by to raise alert hype level

edit: From the steam page:

War on the Sea puts you in command of warship task forces, supply convoys and submarines as well as tactical use of aircraft to secure the South Pacific during World War II. Heavily inspired by the classic computer games "Great Naval Battles" and "Task Force 1942", War on the Sea is coming soon to PC and Mac.
    Great Naval battles was a title published by SSI and not Microprose. Nonetheless, that too was a game that I could not put away. Played that for so many hours.

Hype alert level has been raised to defcon 3
    Last edited by helgur; May 31 2020 at 04:39:34 AM.

David Lagetti's (the new owner/CEO) previous two companies after he quit at Bohemia Interactive:

https://virtualsimulationsystems.com/newsite/index.html

Looks like bespoke simulator design and manufacture, from regular cockpit simulators to air crew training (door gunners etc.), even control tower sims. Basically what B17 wants to accomplish that company already does. Just with actual airframe parts and stuff. Oh and they have that for tanks and guns as well.

Oh and they make VR devices in the shape of gun sights etc.

http://titanim.net/www/index.php/page

Open world sandbox military simulator. 'nuff said.

Basically with the tech from those two companies, it should be trivial to release any of the announced games.
    nevar forget

It and other like it, including the uboot one are great, if inevitability doomed, coop experiences.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Really hope they live up to the name, Microprose titles was a big part of my videogaming childhood. I probably wasted more hours playing 1942: PAW than Civilization, and they where both Microprose titles.

Hype is at defcon 4, command is standing by to raise alert hype level

edit: From the steam page:

War on the Sea puts you in command of warship task forces, supply convoys and submarines as well as tactical use of aircraft to secure the South Pacific during World War II. Heavily inspired by the classic computer games "Great Naval Battles" and "Task Force 1942", War on the Sea is coming soon to PC and Mac.
    Great Naval battles was a title published by SSI and not Microprose. Nonetheless, that too was a game that I could not put away. Played that for so many hours.

Hype alert level has been raised to defcon 3
    TF1942 remains one of the best ship combat games ever implemented, imo. Microprose are indeed a great pedigree.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Silent Service did get a lot of playtime from me. Mild hype confirmed.
    OG Secret Service on the Atari ST is one of my first gaming memories/experiences (alongside Qbert).

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    It and other like it, including the uboot one are great, if inevitability doomed, coop experiences.
    You don’t *have* to play with randoms.