hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quarantini - like a Martini, but in quarantine

Just a thing guys. Maybe drinking some more tonic water over these days may be helpful in preventing this crap. One containing quinine, obviously.

No, it's not scientific except a mental gymnastics exercise that I've made and discussed with a few colleagues, but since quinine derivatives have been promising in treating this crap maybe a bit of daily quinine intake can help preventing it. I don't know, honestly. Can't research it either because lol researching tonic water? But it makes a bit of sense.

No, drinking 10 gin and tonics doesn't count
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Just a thing guys. Maybe drinking some more tonic water over these days may be helpful in preventing this crap. One containing quinine, obviously.

No, it's not scientific except a mental gymnastics exercise that I've made and discussed with a few colleagues, but since quinine derivatives have been promising in treating this crap maybe a bit of daily quinine intake can help preventing it. I don't know, honestly. Can't research it either because lol researching tonic water? But it makes a bit of sense.

Sshh you. Drinking G&Ts is my plan and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

It worked for the colonials, and by gosh they had a stiff upper lip too!

There is no better cocktail in the world than an old fashioned, I've never found one and never will.

Zekk's preferred recipe:

45-50ml Bourbon, I like Maker's Mark or Bulleit but honestly anything can work, or you can be a goddamn degenerate and make it with Rye, in which case Bulleit 95 or Woodford Reserve. But honestly use anything, just don't use Jack Daniels.
    Sugar cube.
    2-3 dashes Angostura orange bitters - yes, orange bitters.
    Muddle sugar cube with bitters.
    Place large ice cube into glass.
    Twist peel of orange skin and rub around rim of glass before placing in glass.
    Pour bourbon in.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Hmm... I wonder if I can do a Japanese Old Fashioned.

Suntory Whisky (any recommendations?) and Yuzu Bitters instead of Angostura.

Yeah it could work. I would do it with something on the darker side of the scale, some of the Nikka offerings or maybe Suntory Hibiki if I was feeling vaguely flush.

I'd probably do it with straight angostura and a dribble of cherry liquer, which I admit is getting away from the concept but still tastes good.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Yeah it could work. I would do it with something on the darker side of the scale, some of the Nikka offerings or maybe Suntory Hibiki if I was feeling vaguely flush.

I'd probably do it with straight angostura and a dribble of cherry liquer, which I admit is getting away from the concept but still tastes good.
    I'm a fan of peaty scotch old fashioneds. Something like a Laphroaig. So I could see trying something similar.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Coke plus bourbon

Thank me later

Sent from my butt phone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    love that that beer is over Argentina
    Also note the name: "Keller Bier".

"Keller" literally means "cellar / basement".

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
      Spoiler:
    Since I'm German, this is also the place to post beers:

Tapapapatalk
    Holy shit is that a GMK set I'm seeing on your Ducky?

Nevermind, legends are top centre. Nice colourway anyway, is it a Ducky PBT set?
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

That's what the Ducky came with.

And yes, the colors are nice. I haven't looked around for different keys too much. Those that I found that were interesting were non-ISO-DE. And fuck not having that.

Back on topic: tomorrow I shall go and see if my local supermarket has bitters. Thomas Henry is a given, it's a local brand anyway.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Trying the Japanese Old Fashioned based on Zekk's recipe.

Teaspoon of Sugar muddled with a pippete squeeze of Japanese Bitters.
    One large ice cube.
    Twist of orange rubbed around the rim of the glass.
    One finger of "The Chita Single Grain Japanese Whisky"

Swizzled (sugar wasn't mixed in well).

Tasty. But I'm not sure if it's an improvement on just the base Whisky. More testing is required.

Muddling sugar is a major pain in the ass. You could try making some sugar syrup for convenience, not exactly the same but pretty close.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Yeah. I need to buy some simple syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Don't bother buying it. Gomme I'm pretty sure is just over concentrated and I honestly haven't seen a bottle of it in over a decade.

Sugar 1:1 with near boiling water and stir till dissolved. Darker sugars sometimes need a minute on the stove. It'll keep forever.

White sugar is used for 90% of cocktails. Demerara sugar for old fashionds and a couple of other things. Brown sugar will usually overpower anything you put it in short of very sticky dark rums or brown sugar umeshu.

Back in the day it would be 2:1, but as time has gone by I've noticed most books and bars have gravitated to 1:1 for simplicity.

A lot of bartenders will tell you that you have to use a sugar cube because "reasons" but they're pretentious assholes. If you're making 10 old fashioned a after work, you're doing it in a big fucking jug and you're using syrup because who cares.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Don't bother buying it. Gomme I'm pretty sure is just over concentrated and I honestly haven't seen a bottle of it in over a decade.

Sugar 1:1 with near boiling water and stir till dissolved. Darker sugars sometimes need a minute on the stove. It'll keep forever.

White sugar is used for 90% of cocktails. Demerara sugar for old fashionds and a couple of other things. Brown sugar will usually overpower anything you put it in short of very sticky dark rums or brown sugar umeshu.

Back in the day it would be 2:1, but as time has gone by I've noticed most books and bars have gravitated to 1:1 for simplicity.

A lot of bartenders will tell you that you have to use a sugar cube because "reasons" but they're pretentious assholes. If you're making 10 old fashioned a after work, you're doing it in a big fucking jug and you're using syrup because who cares.

This! Dont ever by any syrup! You can make 99% of it yourself!

I just finished creating 3 variants for this evening, 1 simple (1:1), 1 rhubarb (0.5 sugar, 1 water, layer of sliced rhubarb) and 1 ginger (1:1 and plenty of thinly sliced ginger).
    The ginger one took some time as I wanted it spicy as fuck and it needed like an hour to sit in the pot during cool down to get it close to what I wanted.

Experiment with things, if in doubt, google shit!

edit: Tonight's menu will have Moscow Mule, Queen's Spark Swizzle, variants of French 75's and ofc daiquiris. And maybe something with aquavit.
    Last edited by Lowa [NSN]; May 23 2020 at 02:02:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Having said all that I just use cubes in the house because I don't make enough to justify the effort of making a syrup when a hair of soda and a stir works fine, so you do you.

Confirming i've just been drinking a few too many gin & tonics. Getting decent tonic over here is a fucking pain tho.

This thread is fucking ace btw.
    Last edited by Isyel; May 23 2020 at 08:27:05 PM.

Gomme syrup is something that can be a pain to make at home, so if ever an exception to the do not buy it would be this (Finding food grade gumarabic makes or breaks this).
    It is over concentrated, having a very high sugar to water ratio, and the gum arabic is used both for texture and to keep the sugar from crystallizing.

Real pomegranate juice combined with sugar and reduced makes tasty grenadine, one of the first syrups I would recommend anyone new to crafting themselves to try to make.
    Ginger is completely different, as you often don't want it sweetened to the same extent, and varies by recipe. Reducing homemade ginger beer (I ordered some GBP from EU a few years ago) made for some interesting cocktail experiments.

As far as assisting the thread with Gin cocktails (and ignoring the Martini):

Negroni - classic, but you need Campari plus whatever sweet vermouth you have on hand.
    This recipe really needs a dry gin, and some are particular to the vermouth being Italian

The below recipes can benefit from using more pungent (floral) Gins:
    Gimlet - Gin and lime juice sweetened to your taste (resist using Rose's Lime Juice if at all possible)
    Bramble - Gin and lemon juice muddled with fruit and simple syrup. Blackberry is my standard as my parrot really likes fresh blackberries.
    Aviation - Gin, lemon Juice, maraschino liqueur, creme de violette. we are now in the realm of fancy cocktails, and the last ingredient is approaching a unitasker, so returns can be limiting.
    Last Word - Gin, lime Juice, maraschino liqueur, Chartreuse (Green). Similar to the last recipe, but I really enjoy Chartreuse neat so I'm already off the path.
    20th Century - Gin, lemon Juice, creme de cacao, Cocchi Americano (since Kina Lilet is no more) or your favorite aromatised wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Confirming i've just been drinking a few too many gin & tonics. Getting decent tonic over here is a fucking pain tho.

This thread is fucking ace btw.
    For some reason, tonic prices have increased noticeably during Corona over here. Solution: Create one's own bathtub gin, extra dry and bitter. Balances out Schweppe's sweetness and makes for a very nice Gin Tonic or Fizz.

Because tonic contains quinine which is a precursor to Trump's chosen Covid cure.