hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Quarantine Project Thread

Word is that DTAG was a bitch to work with* so MS killed that product and moved all data by Germans to Germany. A large state police was the lead customer for the initial DTAG / MS project.

And no, no one will get into trouble for that, as all states are self-developing their own cloud services. Yes, that's dumb. Really dumb. But there's not much one can do about it tbh.

Anyway, Berlin's model for schools is still not up to capacity and slow as fuck. How is your project in South Africa going?

* Which surprises no one who knows that company. Privatized state company with tons of baggage due to that.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Word is that DTAG was a bitch to work with* so MS killed that product and moved all data by Germans to Germany. A large state police was the lead customer for the initial DTAG / MS project.

And no, no one will get into trouble for that, as all states are self-developing their own cloud services. Yes, that's dumb. Really dumb. But there's not much one can do about it tbh.

Anyway, Berlin's model for schools is still not up to capacity and slow as fuck. How is your project in South Africa going?

* Which surprises no one who knows that company. Privatized state company with tons of baggage due to that.
    Amazon is throwing a large millions number in Rands for cloud credits for South African projects, as the cloud is still a relatively new concept (the dollar exchange rate for services being what it is) there, so I'm helping them take moodle and deploy it on AWS at scale with a simple but scalable reverse cache in front of it to help scale out the content delivery. I will probably spend most time on the DB, but it's all config/infrastructure and tricks I've learned over the years, rather than modifying moodle.

I'll happily share config/cloudformation once I'm done.
    meh

Sharing that won't be necessary. I just wonder how hard is it to get it scaled to some half a million students (it's closer to 400k) and why they haven't managed to get there yet. Sure they had very little warning time (about a weekend), though they were supposed to be able to provide moodle courses for all chools beforehand.

And I know some schools who signed up for O365 prior the (re)evaluation that aren't even using it.

I'd love to simply pull the trigger, sign us up and get us started. But without means of contacting most parents or students this won't work this time anyway. Not to mention no way of providing training to the less technically inclined colleagues.

It's a bit frustrating to be quite frank.

Oh and quite a few students have no computers at home anyway.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    TIL I need a home theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Alright, we have Teams, what are the other options?

I'm intrigued.
    The obvious competitors are:

- Slack (of which Teams is a clone)
    - HipChat

- Mattermost, which is an open source self-hosted solution (https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server). Never used it, let alone tried to set up a server, though.
    I introduced our department to Slack a couple years back, previously our highest number of messages in a day was under 1,500, in the days before we all had to start WFH that doubled to 3k. We also have Teams for dealing with other places on campus that just want to stick with the free option, and to a person everyone who's had to use it prefers Slack. Personally, I think even just the UI in Slack is superior, it's hugely extensible with add-ons, ties into SSO systems, has decent privilege and group management, etc etc.

Discord is ofc. the obvious free solution that's very similar in terms of interface, but I think far less useful from a professional perspective.

Everyone and their aunt scrambled to get Zoom licenses for videoconferencing and screen sharing, it works well but I haven't had to use it too much myself yet. One of my student employees reported that their best online lecture experience so far has been using the Zoom screen share as a sort of classroom whiteboard while the professor lectures normally, so that might be a good way to collaborate on non-shared documents. For shared docs that we all need to edit we've just been using Google Docs for ages, It Just Works.

My specific unit has been relying heavily on Airtable for project tracking, material acquisition, as a customer training database, and shared task calendar. Other units have also built pretty hefty databases using it, that's another tool with a lot of backend flexibility.

I think that's it for the software we're running on.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post

I'm intrigued.

- HipChat

- Mattermost, which is an open source self-hosted solution (https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server). Never used it, let alone tried to set up a server, though.
    I introduced our department to Slack a couple years back, previously our highest number of messages in a day was under 1,500, in the days before we all had to start WFH that doubled to 3k. We also have Teams for dealing with other places on campus that just want to stick with the free option, and to a person everyone who's had to use it prefers Slack.
    The strength of Teams is its integration with the other MS O365 products/services. As a standalone app, it might very well lag behind Slack. I personally used Slack only for a short period of time back when I was playing EVE and there was that EVE Developers Slack, so I can't really compare the two apps.

I'm intrigued.

- HipChat

I introduced our department to Slack a couple years back, previously our highest number of messages in a day was under 1,500, in the days before we all had to start WFH that doubled to 3k. We also have Teams for dealing with other places on campus that just want to stick with the free option, and to a person everyone who's had to use it prefers Slack. Personally, I think even just the UI in Slack is superior, it's hugely extensible with add-ons, ties into SSO systems, has decent privilege and group management, etc etc.

Discord is ofc. the obvious free solution that's very similar in terms of interface, but I think far less useful from a professional perspective.

Everyone and their aunt scrambled to get Zoom licenses for videoconferencing and screen sharing, it works well but I haven't had to use it too much myself yet. One of my student employees reported that their best online lecture experience so far has been using the Zoom screen share as a sort of classroom whiteboard while the professor lectures normally, so that might be a good way to collaborate on non-shared documents. For shared docs that we all need to edit we've just been using Google Docs for ages, It Just Works.

My specific unit has been relying heavily on Airtable for project tracking, material acquisition, as a customer training database, and shared task calendar. Other units have also built pretty hefty databases using it, that's another tool with a lot of backend flexibility.

I haven't shaken the feeling that discord is some kind of ambitious startup that hasn't been able to successfully monetize yet, and they're gonna fall into being a honeytrap and sell everything to advertisers or the FBI or something. Call it paranoia I suppose, but it's not like there isn't precedence. Do they ever do advertising or is it all users paying for features?

Counted the spare change that's been lying around this evening. £58 ain't bad

Reminded me of being a kid and packing it in those small bags to take to the bank
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

The strength of Teams is its integration with the other MS O365 products/services. As a standalone app, it might very well lag behind Slack. I personally used Slack only for a short period of time back when I was playing EVE and there was that EVE Developers Slack, so I can't really compare the two apps.
    That's why a lot of people stick with it if they never used a chat program before, personally I find the integration to be overdone and cloying; for instance, getting call notifications in Skype as well as Teams. If you work collaboratively on a lot of MS office docs I can see the value, but the lack of functionality in other areas and clunkiness of the interface don't make up for that in my book (everyone's mileage may vary of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    I haven't shaken the feeling that discord is some kind of ambitious startup that hasn't been able to successfully monetize yet, and they're gonna fall into being a honeytrap and sell everything to advertisers or the FBI or something. Call it paranoia I suppose, but it's not like there isn't precedence. Do they ever do advertising or is it all users paying for features?
    I have no idea how they make money either, if they do. If they don't then there's a dark time coming for a lot of gaming groups that rely on it, in Rote we switched from Slack to Discord because a) everyone else was using it and b) unlimited message history. If Slack has one major failing it's that it has always been focused on enterprise-level customers and doesn't have a good long term small team-focused free model.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post

I'm intrigued.

- HipChat

For the environment we're talking, the problem with Discord is its attached games shop.

All of a sudden these semilurkers show up with real jobs. I don’t recognise FHC anymore
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

I now hate rocks, or maybe it's the rocks that hate me.

Been trying to rototill. After years of drought we are having just enough rain to make everything sticky mud for added difficulty. Under the grass are bits of sandstone that blunt the disks on the till so they can't cut through the grass roots. A couple of hours tilling then an hour spent sharpening the disks with a grinder. Then I struck a big enough stone that it wedged between two of the disks and cracked one in half. Luckily the local garage managed to do a weld job that may last because getting in new disks atm will take some time.

And the cattle look at me like I'm a monster for tearing up their pasture.

This barley had better grow.

Our property in SE QLD once the rain started after a drought we'd say we grew rocks. Everything contracted so much and then swelled so much that rocks would just seem to spring up.

http://imgur.com/a/58JLYl2

First project done: Fender Telecaster (a rare-ish Squier Series) pots and switches replaced.

That's the second time I ever soldered anything. So be gentle on the soldering jobs.
      Spoiler:

Before y'all try to tell me that Squier guitars aren't anything special.

This is a MIM Fender.

https://spinditty.com/instruments-ge...Typical-Squier

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

First project done: Fender Telecaster (a rare-ish Squier Series) pots and switches replaced.

That's the second time I ever soldered anything. So be gentle on the soldering jobs.
      Spoiler:

This is a MIM Fender.

Tapapapatalk
    Cool guitar.

You might have heard of mexican made Fender guitars with a black headstock decal, sometimes associated with some mystery Squier Series made in Mexico. It’s true that there actually was a “Squier Series” that was made by Fender in Mexico and featured a black decal on the headstock, but not all mexican made Fender guitars with such a black label were part of that very “Squier Series”. Since there appears to be a lot of confusion and half-knowledge about these guitars out there, I decided to do some research on my own.

The black label was used by Fender Mexico for a limited time only between 1993 and 1998. It can be found exclusively on the rather short lived mexican “Traditional” and “Squier” series for the Telecaster, Stratocaster and Precision Bass. Usually, Squier is to Fender what Epiphone is to Gibson. In this very case, the use of the name “Squier” had nothing to do with the actual Squier brand, as the series was named “Squier Series”, but it was by all means a Fender series, not a Squier series. The keyword is “series”, not “Squier”. The regular mexican “Standard” series was available too at the time, but it already featured the same silver-ish logo that is still used for it today. However, between 1993 and 1998, both labels (the black AND the silver-ish one) were used for mexican made Fender guitars, but for (slightly) different guitars.

The guitars with the black label consisted mostly of overstock american made Fender necks and bodies. The parts were shipped to Mexico for assembly with mexican made pickups and far eastern hardware and electronics. The overall quality of these guitars turned out to be below the Squiers made in Japan and Korea, whose production came to an end around the time the mexican made guitars with the black label surfaced, yet above Squiers made in China and Indonesia, whose production had not yet begun at the time. The guitars ended up on the american and european market for just about as much as a guitar from the regular “Standard” series would cost at the time.

Some (not all!) of the guitars were sold for a few bucks less as they came with 1-ply pickguards and hardware of slightly lesser quality. Those guitars (and those only!) had an additional smaller “Squier Series” label on front of the headstock, right were the artist models have the artist’s signature.
    My MIM Baritone Tele is a great guitar. Nice bones for a project guitar, trying out pickups and wiring tricks, etc.
    meh

I thought about replacing the pick ups as well a while ago, but I can't play anyway and any pick ups worth changing for are quite pricey, like a Texas set.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

I thought about replacing the pick ups as well a while ago, but I can't play anyway and any pick ups worth changing for are quite pricey, like a Texas set.

Tapapapatalk
    Yes, it won’t matter until you can play.
    meh

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar

Spoiler:

This is a MIM Fender.

Tapapapatalk
    i used to have a tele, ended up trading it for a jag, and i don't regret it but the telecaster was a fucking good guitar, enjoy it mate.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

Tapapapatalk
    Yes, it won’t matter until you can play.
    It's been a gift from my host family from my high school year back in 2002/2003.

I keep it playable for when friends drop by and want to play, but myself I don't have the ambition to play. The tech side is more my thing.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    ama go take a shit
    "Why would I want to ask you anything about that?" damn internet lingo disturbing my reading comprehension

I have a few synth kits that I've been intending to get done building any day now for the last 7 years.
    I also have a deadline for an EP, so I should probably be working towards that.

Spent yesterday building a sarlack-pit in space engineers on a friends server. Productive as f.