hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Quarantine Project Thread

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrenda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    yeah don't overuse tab when you're learning - it won't exactly teach you anything apart from where to fret. are you learning on acoustic or electric?
    Electric, and it's this course I'm following https://www.justinguitar.com/

I was wrong to say tab, he gives the chord names above the lyrics when you're supposed to change, has a separate box laying out the general rhythm and typically there's videos of him playing the phrases online. Mainly I've been following along with Bob Marley's Three Little Birds, because he has it based on A D and E, I'm moving onto the A minor and E minor chords now, and I'll be looking to expand my song ranges.
    if you want more easy to learn stuff look at oasis or the beatles. tends to be the same 3 or 4 chords across lots of their songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meths View Post

Painted a wall.
    Nice!
    Bob Ross would roll over in his grave bruv. Not enough brush strokes
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Mrenda View Post
    yeah don't overuse tab when you're learning - it won't exactly teach you anything apart from where to fret. are you learning on acoustic or electric?
    Electric, and it's this course I'm following https://www.justinguitar.com/

I was wrong to say tab, he gives the chord names above the lyrics when you're supposed to change, has a separate box laying out the general rhythm and typically there's videos of him playing the phrases online. Mainly I've been following along with Bob Marley's Three Little Birds, because he has it based on A D and E, I'm moving onto the A minor and E minor chords now, and I'll be looking to expand my song ranges.
    That looks like a good resource. I started learning with my cousin who was doing an online course, he'd do that weeks course and then come over to teach me as part of his practice. I don't think it matters too much what online course you do as a beginner as long as you put the practice time in.

Drilling chords and finger changes to build up coordination is probably the most frustrating part of being a beginner. Once you get it though that though you never really lose it, I haven't played much for the past couple of years but can comfortably pick up a guitar and play a bunch of chords pretty much whenever.

Also the twelve bar blues is a good way to relieve frustration when your fingers aren't going where you want them to with open chords. While playing around you might accidentally discover a couple of led zeppelin songs as well.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

If you "figured out" Em (not much to figure out there, it's the second easiest guitar chord, only Em7 is easier ) and already got D under your belt, you're already good to go for Uriah Heep's Lady in Black

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    If you "figured out" Em (not much to figure out there, it's the second easiest guitar chord, only Em7 is easier ) and already got D under your belt, you're already good to go for Uriah Heep's Lady in Black
    Em/D is technically the easiest

(its just all open strings in standard tuning)
    meh

And nothing else matters...
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

If you ever get interested in irish session music DADGAD or DAD tuning is perfect because you literally can't fuck it up.

How's everyone's quarin-projects going?

I'm getting more comfortable with the guitar now. My strap for my guitar arrived so I'm getting used to playing standing up. I'm comfortable on the basic chords I've learned so far (A, D, E, Em, Am) that I'm getting onto learning more songs, even if they're simplified versions of songs in another key or that typically have different chords. It's good fun, plus my fingers are getting more used to the pressure they're taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    My projects atm except paperwork for work:

- lube a bunch of switches;
    - rebuild a Miya Pro Panda with Mint Holy Panda switches for maximum pandamonium;
    - change a switch in my Fjell that is a bit dodgy (H);
    - make travel holster for my Ortho48 out of leather;
    - finish up a notebook leather cover I started a while ago;
    - start making artisan keycaps because I have all the materials but never had time;
    - if I have time rebuild a Razer Blackwidow X Chroma with decent switches (Gateron Yellow lubed + filmed) just so I have a big keeb with nice feels.
    1. done.
    2. done - yay!
    3. I shelved my Fjell because I got addicted to lubed filmed Gateron yellow switches and I'm thocky thocking on the Ergodox EZ since it's hot swap before I make my mind up which board to build with them.
    4. I'm still designing the travel holster and I can't reach a proper design so far so am a bit upset. Any suggestions, anybody?
    5. I forgot where I put the cover to stretch it, should be in one of the ginormous books in the book case.
    6. still in design phase.
    7. gave up on this beecause fuck Razer. Started stalking for a nice TKL custom but most projects are halted due to manufacturing issues
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

My projects atm except paperwork for work:

- lube a bunch of switches;
    - rebuild a Miya Pro Panda with Mint Holy Panda switches for maximum pandamonium;
    - change a switch in my Fjell that is a bit dodgy (H);
    - make travel holster for my Ortho48 out of leather;
    - finish up a notebook leather cover I started a while ago;
    - start making artisan keycaps because I have all the materials but never had time;
    - if I have time rebuild a Razer Blackwidow X Chroma with decent switches (Gateron Yellow lubed + filmed) just so I have a big keeb with nice feels.
    1. done.
    2. done - yay!
    3. I shelved my Fjell because I got addicted to lubed filmed Gateron yellow switches and I'm thocky thocking on the Ergodox EZ since it's hot swap before I make my mind up which board to build with them.
    4. I'm still designing the travel holster and I can't reach a proper design so far so am a bit upset. Any suggestions, anybody?
    5. I forgot where I put the cover to stretch it, should be in one of the ginormous books in the book case.
    6. still in design phase.
    7. gave up on this beecause fuck Razer. Started stalking for a nice TKL custom but most projects are halted due to manufacturing issues
    Nice, so you have a bit of a keyboard fetish in other words?

I'm still going strong with some basic 2.99 Logitech wired keyboards I bought a decade ago, one for home and one for work. Had to get some PS2 to USB converters last year so they could connect to the monitors built in KVM switches but that's it from an upgrade point of view.
    How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.

Paradox asked how you achieve full (weld) penetration a few days ago. I'm working chill night shift now due to beer virus and I got the opportunity to take a good series of pics showing the process.

This future Amazon warehouse column needs one weld burned in on the far side. The random shit bolted to the base plates are stiffening plates so the heat from the welding process doesnt warp the hell out of the customer's steel.

The bevel on the bottom side has already been filled in so we need to burn out the back side till we get down to pure fused steel. starting point is this.

Carbon arc gouging is like reverse welding in a nutshell. this badboy instantly liquefies steel and blows it away with a compressed air stream.

What we want to do is eat into the backside of the weld and clear out any debris etc. my first pass showed obvious signs of trash still in the joint.

Several passes later on both sides of the flange there is some good looking fully fused steel.

time to bust out the die grinder! expert tool at getting into tight spaces then grinding away.

After some aggressive cleaning we have a very weldable surface.

Every once in a while with molten metal flying around you burn holes in 150 psi rubber air hoses. shop repair time!
    Last edited by Right Rudder; April 12 2020 at 12:42:25 PM.

After my air hose repair I could finally start welding. But wait! gotta preheat that shit yo. Our giant Welding robot in the background for you automation nerds.

Bring it hot and heavy!

Stacking welds

Catastrophe Strikes on literally my last pass. Shielding gas flow got Interrupted so I have the bane of all gas shielded welder's nightmares.....POROSITY!!! FML

Whats the solution? blow that shit out!

and cleaned

Turned out ok despite the bumps in the road.

Lets put some lipstick on this pig! Burned off the runoff tabs on both sides, hopefully pure metal will be what what we see.

Moment of truth......

Both sides super clean. (I know its hard to tell from photos.)

If you like it put your name on it.

Noice. Brings back memories from the brief period of time I worked in a machine shop. Never worked on anything quite like that though, although I don't suppose many do.

What happened to the chap who worked on those oil ships?

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

I'm still going strong with some basic 2.99 Logitech wired keyboards I bought a decade ago, one for home and one for work. Had to get some PS2 to USB converters last year so they could connect to the monitors built in KVM switches but that's it from an upgrade point of view.
    Hehe, I wouldn't call it a fetish but I like smooth nice stuff that sounds nice. It's a preference driven hobby, so whatever you like is fine. Bottom line is building a custom keyboard is a soothing process, almost therapeutic I dare say and the result is something you'll enjoy for years. Also cured me of the instant gratification that Amazon Prime brings about, you have to wait around 6 months for an order and the process of gathering the needed stuff is in itself a project. You need switches (easiest thing), lubricant (again, easy to come by), switch films are nice depending on switch (about 1-2 months wait time on the transport alone), keycaps are usually 6 months unless you want to pay ridiculous aftermarket prices; basically the keyboard itself is the least of your worries and you can hunt for an ideal case in time.

A membrane board is fine but in time it becomes quite bad - it's nothing awful just the domes deteriorating in time - it is, after all, rubber. A nice custom mech will keep it's properties for a really really long time.

You should have a look into it - check this out.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Kinda finished this today, apart from a grounding issue that makes it buzz like a motherfucker which i'll deal with later. And some other knobs, these really dont match well.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Noice. Brings back memories from the brief period of time I worked in a machine shop. Never worked on anything quite like that though, although I don't suppose many do.

ooooohhh who was he - those posts were also very interesting

It was underwater cable ships wasnt it? Good shit regardless of which!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post

i *think* he was on the sort of ships that service and decommission oil rigs but i might be mis-remembering

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post

i *think* he was on the sort of ships that service and decommission oil rigs but i might be mis-remembering
    It was ships laying/maintaining ocean cables. No idea what his name was though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

Hehe, I wouldn't call it a fetish but I like smooth nice stuff that sounds nice. It's a preference driven hobby, so whatever you like is fine. Bottom line is building a custom keyboard is a soothing process, almost therapeutic I dare say and the result is something you'll enjoy for years. Also cured me of the instant gratification that Amazon Prime brings about, you have to wait around 6 months for an order and the process of gathering the needed stuff is in itself a project. You need switches (easiest thing), lubricant (again, easy to come by), switch films are nice depending on switch (about 1-2 months wait time on the transport alone), keycaps are usually 6 months unless you want to pay ridiculous aftermarket prices; basically the keyboard itself is the least of your worries and you can hunt for an ideal case in time.

A membrane board is fine but in time it becomes quite bad - it's nothing awful just the domes deteriorating in time - it is, after all, rubber. A nice custom mech will keep it's properties for a really really long time.

You should have a look into it - check this out.
    Nice, I will investigate once the current ones have died in a decade or so.