Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Quarantine Project Thread

Finally got around to painting this body I made in 2010

Painted a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post

Finally got around to painting this body I made in 2010
    Noice.
    meh

First one wasn't my pic but it's one of the massive bridge pieces other folks are working on.

Apologize for some of the quality, I have to stealthily snap photos at work because bosses get cranky about phones being out if you aren't on your break.

30,000 tons out the door in Q1 according to the plant boss yesterday.
    Last edited by Right Rudder; April 4 2020 at 10:16:06 PM.

How do you ensure you get enough penetration through bits of steel that thick (and of varying thicknesses?)

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Fillet welds (the basic ones in pic 3/4) just have a size requirement. We stack those up with multiple passes until they meet the required customer size. Those pictured are about 2.5cm and can range from ~25-30 passes depending on individual welder preferences. 20 minutes each?

Full penetration welds (Where the column meets that base plate in pic #2 for example) we bevel one of the pieces, weld that empty bevel, then carbon arc gouge out the back side, clean it, and weld it back up. Any full penetration welds are checked by ultrasound and if defects are found then it gets repaired. That's what i spent the whole day doing. Blasting someone else's mistake away at 2870 Fahrenheit then building it back. The goal in those cases is to have a pure metal connection built from one piece to another unlike the 45 degree fillet welds in the last two photos.
    Last edited by Right Rudder; April 4 2020 at 10:50:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    How do you ensure you get enough penetration through bits of steel that thick (and of varying thicknesses?)
    We work hard, we play hard.

I get to make these jokes on a daily basis. My Current favorite shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Meths View Post

Painted a wall.
    Nice!

I've been trying to learn guitar for the past two weeks. I'm following the Justin Guitar course online (if this stuff was available I might have learned how to play when I was a teenager and first bought my knock-off Gibson.) In those two weeks I've mainly been practicing three chords (D/A/E.) Outside of the chord/fingering/drills practice I've been trying to play along with JG's arrangement for Bob Marley's Three Little Birds. Tonight I think I did it actually pretty well, so it's time to move onto more chords. I'm pretty satisfied with how my progress is going. (And thanks to Erich and discord peeps for the encouragement.)

Donor
    Went fishing for the first time in over a decade this morning. Didn't even catch a boot. Good times.

Knocked out a 10 gallon brew day last week. Smashed, mashed and boiled another 5 the next morning. Session pale ale and a heff. Grain and hop supply should hold for a bit yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrenda View Post
    I've been trying to learn guitar for the past two weeks. I'm following the Justin Guitar course online (if this stuff was available I might have learned how to play when I was a teenager and first bought my knock-off Gibson.) In those two weeks I've mainly been practicing three chords (D/A/E.) Outside of the chord/fingering/drills practice I've been trying to play along with JG's arrangement for Bob Marley's Three Little Birds. Tonight I think I did it actually pretty well, so it's time to move onto more chords. I'm pretty satisfied with how my progress is going. (And thanks to Erich and discord peeps for the encouragement.)
    Its tough at the start but it'll just click after a while when it comes to chord changes and stuff. Then you feel like youre starting all over again when you have to learn barre chords

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaday View Post
    Went fishing for the first time in over a decade this morning. Didn't even catch a boot. Good times.
      Spoiler:

Knocked out a 10 gallon brew day last week. Smashed, mashed and boiled another 5 the next morning. Session pale ale and a heff. Grain and hop supply should hold for a bit yet.
    Good on you! Keep it up, fishing and seeing it as a relaxing time with a chance of complete chaos, is a life saver. Keep it simple, keep it fun (the mania will come by it self ).
    I've spent last two weeks up north mostly working but fishing has been quite good (10-ish nice sized arctic char, some pearch) but more so I found myself lost inside my huge fluffy hood with the wind and snow howling down around me (only to be followed by absolute crisp blue skies 16 min later).

Its, for me, the king of recharge activities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    Its tough at the start but it'll just click after a while when it comes to chord changes and stuff. Then you feel like youre starting all over again when you have to learn barre chords
    Cheers for that. I know the start is filled with ups and downs, and it's just gonna take practice. I'll keep on with it and take the daily bumps and fallbacks as just more in the process.

And I hear you about barre chords. I tried some apparently difficult one from down the line and I was hopeless at it. I guess the thing is I'm too old to be starting to think about performing live and joining bands so this is all just for me, which means my fantasy ambitions are lower, making it a little easier.

I guess the thing is I'm too old to be starting to think about performing live and joining bands so this is all just for me, which means my fantasy ambitions are lower, making it a little easier.
    Nope. Never too late.
    meh

Playing songs you like is pretty important for sticking with it at the beginning.

I found AC/DC songs really good for nailing chord transitions quickly when I was learning. Plus you pick up loads of nice little bluesy licks along the way. And you can play it really loud.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

What Keckers said, in every regard.

Playing songs one likes is perhaps the most important part, as it keeps you interested and exercising without it feeling like an excercise.

Not sure how exactly that course is you mentioned, but I gained a lot from my first ever instrument I played, a trombone. Not so much because of the instrument, but because of the way you learn how to read (and write) notes and the music theory going along with it (e.g. major vs. minor harmonies). This often gets lost with guitar tab notation that only points to the fret and which fingers to use, without "spelling out" the actual notes.

Depending on which music you like and expanding on Keckers suggestion: if you're into that kind of music, anything "bluesy" is easy to start with and achieve good results with early on.

Yesterday I finished my first "quarantine project", if you will call it that: grinding the Moskva in WoWS before the patch tomorrow(?) hits where it apparently will be removed from the regular tech tree and converted to a premium/special (whatever the destinction is) ship. If I'm not mistaken, I get to keep the Moskva as a premium while also getting the new tier 10 cruiser.

Same is true for the tier 5 Kirov, but I guess that's less interesting for long time players.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    yeah don't overuse tab when you're learning - it won't exactly teach you anything apart from where to fret. are you learning on acoustic or electric?

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    yeah don't overuse tab when you're learning - it won't exactly teach you anything apart from where to fret. are you learning on acoustic or electric?
    Electric, and it's this course I'm following https://www.justinguitar.com/

I was wrong to say tab, he gives the chord names above the lyrics when you're supposed to change, has a separate box laying out the general rhythm and typically there's videos of him playing the phrases online. Mainly I've been following along with Bob Marley's Three Little Birds, because he has it based on A D and E, I'm moving onto the A minor and E minor chords now, and I'll be looking to expand my song ranges.