hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 251

Thread: Quarantine Project Thread

  1. #81

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,409
    So short story: about a year ago my (now former) boss and a PhD candidate did an experiment, which the professor (different person) is now trying to publish. I came in initially just to check for writing / consistency, but the PhD student is shit or rather, hes a bit lazy and my old boss has a tendency to do everything himself so people dont learn.

    Anyways, today mails have been flying left and right because the student did something simple as calculating a radiation dose rate wrong, which ofc shifts the Y-axis of a bunch of data, but said former boss also has some pretty strong opinions about the physical interpretation that clash with prof's desire to publish cutting-edge research.

    Meanwhile i am getting phone calls from person A behind person B's back. Ive been trying to get all the research staff involved onto Slack, so that this kind of thing stops, but "i'd rather use EMail" is the new OK Boomer apparently.

    If this is day 1 of pandemic lockdown, i dont want to know how day 10 will look.

  2. #82

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,117
    I could imagine that for online classes/courses, Teams Whiteboard feature could prove to be useful.

  3. #83
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I could imagine that for online classes/courses, Teams Whiteboard feature could prove to be useful.
    My department spent the last week when classes were suspended helping instructors move their coursework online as best as was possible given the short notice. It's extremely haphazard and messy, based on a million factors like amount of work that can even theoretically be done remotely, meeting grading and testing standards for state accreditation, ensuring FERPA/HIPPA compliance, compensating for unequal access to computing resources for many students staying at home, deadlines for graduations, on and on and on. The director of our LMS team had to basically take every other day off this week so the stress didn't kill him.

    For small groups, something like Teams could certainly serve in a pinch, but it's not really set up for the scale of collaboration that things like Bio 1000 with it's 500 students requires. There are other options that do a similar thing out there, we're going to see a lot of experimentation and it's going to probably not be until the end of the semester that the dust will begin to settle.

    The thing we keep repeating to people is that this is NOT what properly designed online learning looks like, our fear is that a lot of students and instructors are going to come out the other side of this semester believing that online learning is horrible and should never be used again.
    This is worse than I thought, there's no butter in my coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

  4. #84
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,212
    I wish teams would fuck off and stop trying to make set it up everytime I open my laptop
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  5. #85
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I wish teams would fuck off and stop trying to make set it up everytime I open my laptop
    I wish Outlook would stop asking if I want to turn off out-of-office notifications every time I open my laptop :/
    This is worse than I thought, there's no butter in my coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

  6. #86

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Chair
    Posts
    6,671
    In the spirit of trying new things, I gave one of those paper moisturising mask things a go. I now have the skin of a hydrated goddess.

  7. #87
    Timaios's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I could imagine that for online classes/courses, Teams Whiteboard feature could prove to be useful.
    My department spent the last week when classes were suspended helping instructors move their coursework online as best as was possible given the short notice. It's extremely haphazard and messy, based on a million factors like amount of work that can even theoretically be done remotely, meeting grading and testing standards for state accreditation, ensuring FERPA/HIPPA compliance, compensating for unequal access to computing resources for many students staying at home, deadlines for graduations, on and on and on. The director of our LMS team had to basically take every other day off this week so the stress didn't kill him.

    For small groups, something like Teams could certainly serve in a pinch, but it's not really set up for the scale of collaboration that things like Bio 1000 with it's 500 students requires. There are other options that do a similar thing out there, we're going to see a lot of experimentation and it's going to probably not be until the end of the semester that the dust will begin to settle.

    The thing we keep repeating to people is that this is NOT what properly designed online learning looks like, our fear is that a lot of students and instructors are going to come out the other side of this semester believing that online learning is horrible and should never be used again.
    That sounds amazingly terrible =(

    We had a good experience. Basically, the whole department (ok, we take 50+10 students per year, so we're not massive which helps a ton) had to move all the teaching online within a week, including all the courses with sensitive patient data that you are not allowed to share online. We actually did really well, courses and seminars are running smoothly, the students like the online lectures and are actually interacting more online than they were in class etc. The only issue we now have is trying to help the student body get the students get motivated to study at home. It's been quite amazing to watch actually, universities aren't really known to be the most agile of organizations.

    Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

  8. #88
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    10,514
    I'm gonna do it.



    You can't stop me.

  9. #89
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    10,514

  10. #90

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,409
    What a madlad. Do you also drink milk out of the carton?

  11. #91
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I could imagine that for online classes/courses, Teams Whiteboard feature could prove to be useful.
    My department spent the last week when classes were suspended helping instructors move their coursework online as best as was possible given the short notice. It's extremely haphazard and messy, based on a million factors like amount of work that can even theoretically be done remotely, meeting grading and testing standards for state accreditation, ensuring FERPA/HIPPA compliance, compensating for unequal access to computing resources for many students staying at home, deadlines for graduations, on and on and on. The director of our LMS team had to basically take every other day off this week so the stress didn't kill him.

    For small groups, something like Teams could certainly serve in a pinch, but it's not really set up for the scale of collaboration that things like Bio 1000 with it's 500 students requires. There are other options that do a similar thing out there, we're going to see a lot of experimentation and it's going to probably not be until the end of the semester that the dust will begin to settle.

    The thing we keep repeating to people is that this is NOT what properly designed online learning looks like, our fear is that a lot of students and instructors are going to come out the other side of this semester believing that online learning is horrible and should never be used again.
    That sounds amazingly terrible =(

    We had a good experience. Basically, the whole department (ok, we take 50+10 students per year, so we're not massive which helps a ton) had to move all the teaching online within a week, including all the courses with sensitive patient data that you are not allowed to share online. We actually did really well, courses and seminars are running smoothly, the students like the online lectures and are actually interacting more online than they were in class etc. The only issue we now have is trying to help the student body get the students get motivated to study at home. It's been quite amazing to watch actually, universities aren't really known to be the most agile of organizations.
    We were actually a bit ahead of the curve, I suspect not the least because Pitt does so much medical research and the pros were all up in the administration's grill about moving on this early. But yeah, as an R1 with 30k+ students and 5 campuses, there's a humongous range of experiences between different instructors in the best of times. The worst part is that since all of my work was in experiential hands-on learning I don't have much to do atm, while some of my colleagues are being completely hammered.
    This is worse than I thought, there's no butter in my coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

  12. #92
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,294
    Alright, we have Teams, what are the other options?

    I'm intrigued.

    Tiamaios: how did you get around the sensitive data issue?

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  13. #93
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,212
    Struggling to focus much wfh now, got the attention span of a goldfish. I think I need regular exercise and competition to keep me sane.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  14. #94
    Timaios's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Alright, we have Teams, what are the other options?

    I'm intrigued.

    Tiamaios: how did you get around the sensitive data issue?

    Tapapapatalk
    We didn't. We just anonymized the cases to a point where you could no longer claim they contained sensitive information. Basically made up cases on basis of the real ones.

    Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

  15. #95
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Struggling to focus much wfh now, got the attention span of a goldfish. I think I need regular exercise and competition to keep me sane.
    This, so much.

    Try yoga, it did help me a bit. I was stress eating like a fucking psychopath.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  16. #96

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Alright, we have Teams, what are the other options?

    I'm intrigued.
    The obvious competitors are:

    - Slack (of which Teams is a clone)
    - HipChat

    - Mattermost, which is an open source self-hosted solution (https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server). Never used it, let alone tried to set up a server, though.

  17. #97
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,212
    Got a new project. Do 100 pushups in a set. Just managed 45 with no rest so it should keep me busy for at least a few weeks.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  18. #98
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Got a new project. Do 100 pushups in a set. Just managed 45 with no rest so it should keep me busy for at least a few weeks.
    2 weeks max. It goes up quickly.
    Im still working so I don't have any more free time. But ill have to cover going to the gym with home workouts. I already ordered a hangboard for finger training.


    

  19. #99

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Ah office 365. The service a German data privacy officer claimed is unsafe for schools. Fuck whoever did that as it stopped a lot of good stuff.
    That person has a lot to answer for now. All the kids here in the (Santa Clara) and LA school districts were moved to a Chromebook/Google school solution last week already. Apparently it's working well.

    I'm not sure how you can achieve distance learning properly if your politicians have an irrational fear of technology.
    Data privacy officers are not politicians and not elected.

    The one from Hessen is a professor of law, specialized in data privacy law. That's true for pretty much all of them. The government can't order them around and they only need to follow the law.

    Tapapapatalk
    Like I said. It's basically irrational.

    If he was good at his job, and I thought that he didn't have some kind of vested interest, maybe through some teaching union or something, he should have worked to deliver a solution to assuage his irrational dear. He didn't just went "Nien, VERBOTEN" and stuck his head in the sand like a moron.

    He's the very definition of an out of touch ivory tower useless pencil dick.
    I don't think objecting to cloud services per se is a problem, especially if you're talking about Google who just wholesale ship all the data back to the US where it's internally open for pretty much everyone to abuse. Germany's objection to Azure services was a little bit silly though because MS went to a huge amount of effort to set up a sovereign cloud in Germany, run by Germans employed by DTAG. They were given the holy grail - a near-fully integrated public cloud with sovereign roots. Because the German authorities refused to adopt it that sovereign cloud product is now dead, and cloud providers are going through a common "C5" certification instead.

  20. #100
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    14,871
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Ah office 365. The service a German data privacy officer claimed is unsafe for schools. Fuck whoever did that as it stopped a lot of good stuff.
    That person has a lot to answer for now. All the kids here in the (Santa Clara) and LA school districts were moved to a Chromebook/Google school solution last week already. Apparently it's working well.

    I'm not sure how you can achieve distance learning properly if your politicians have an irrational fear of technology.
    Data privacy officers are not politicians and not elected.

    The one from Hessen is a professor of law, specialized in data privacy law. That's true for pretty much all of them. The government can't order them around and they only need to follow the law.

    Tapapapatalk
    Like I said. It's basically irrational.

    If he was good at his job, and I thought that he didn't have some kind of vested interest, maybe through some teaching union or something, he should have worked to deliver a solution to assuage his irrational dear. He didn't just went "Nien, VERBOTEN" and stuck his head in the sand like a moron.

    He's the very definition of an out of touch ivory tower useless pencil dick.
    I don't think objecting to cloud services per se is a problem, especially if you're talking about Google who just wholesale ship all the data back to the US where it's internally open for pretty much everyone to abuse. Germany's objection to Azure services was a little bit silly though because MS went to a huge amount of effort to set up a sovereign cloud in Germany, run by Germans employed by DTAG. They were given the holy grail - a near-fully integrated public cloud with sovereign roots. Because the German authorities refused to adopt it that sovereign cloud product is now dead, and cloud providers are going through a common "C5" certification instead.
    Any and all of them will jump at a federal contract, even google.

    but, yeah, if they were offered a fully owned private cloud with MS helping manage it, then yes, thats criminally stupid, and they should honestly be held accountable for the damage they are going to cause to their schoolchildren during this next time.
    Last edited by erichkknaar; March 24 2020 at 01:13:43 PM.
    meh

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •