hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Quarantine Project Thread

Still welding steel for the new Amazon warehouse right down the road 60 hours a week here in Arkansas USA.

They designed it to be earthquake resistant based on ASM D1.8 standards hence the huge welds. New Madrid fault line is only a couple hundred km away.
    Last edited by Right Rudder; March 22 2020 at 10:29:00 PM.

Whoa, haven't seen you post in a while. You are no longer flying?
    nevar forget

Decided to no longer fly once my commitment requirements were met. Been doing this for a few years now.

Also with the airline industry in free-fall, not a bad time to have other skills. I like building shit, tossing 50 kilo pieces of metal, and walking 23,000 steps per day.
    Last edited by Right Rudder; March 22 2020 at 10:55:47 PM.

That is some serious steel.

Good work mate.

Apparently my PC just became some sort of project …

Didnt game much recently (well, on PC … got a Switch though ^^), fired up Age of Wonders - Planetfall first time since late December (ran fine then, didn't change anything I m aware of. Game got updates though), and game starts to crash randomly and every 5-20 mins maximum. Tried pretty much everything I can think off .. from simple file verification to reinstall of game, reinstalled graphic drivers, toyed with settings … nada.

Debug modes crash dumps don't tell (me) much either. Its really odd though. PC doesn't act up at all, just the game crashes and closes from one moment to the next.

Now utterly of ideas and bugreported. Really annoying though … back to some book ^^

I can only imagine the level of ripped you're getting with that exercise. Nice one.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Not that much gainz mostly dirty. huge low res welds in the pic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone Here's a little info on why Amazon is going over the top on weld sizes for this particular location.

Last edited by Right Rudder; March 22 2020 at 11:36:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I've got a lot of whiskey to taste so I think I'll get started this evening. I'm most interest to try a blended Japanese one my aunt gave me at Xmas
    Oh this is one of my favorite pasttimes! I have a number of bottles that I've been sitting on that I'm finally just going to start drinking, this seems like as good a time as any eh~

The Japanese cask Writers Tears, and the two Steamship editions of Bushmills are Dublin duty-free only. It may be a while before I have a chance to go back to replenish these, but goddamn are they good.
    This is worse than I thought, there's no butter in my coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Rudder View Post
    Decided to no longer fly once my commitment requirements were met. Been doing this for a few years now.

Also with the airline industry in free-fall, not a bad time to have other skills. I like building shit, tossing 50 kilo pieces of metal, and walking 23,000 steps per day.
    Ah yeah makes sense to not go into the airline industry right now.

I'm postponing my projects until I go crazy.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Still doing work 7-8 hours a day from home (Being a teacher in a high school for retail, sales and office-students, means we still got work to do) via the interwebs, so not much more time to do projects, compared to the usual schedule.
    Although, I won't have classes until noon-ish on Thursday, and the weather might favor a night out taking pictures of some galaxies (Got my eyes on you, M51!).
    Just ordered some new equipment for my astrophotography setup, still need to buy some decent post-processing software, and I got 4 (Super nerdy) posters from Kurzgesagt I need to get framed and up on my office wall.

Just gotta buy the frames and drill some holes, when I get the time between work and gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamse View Post
    Still doing work 7-8 hours a day from home (Being a teacher in a high school for retail, sales and office-students, means we still got work to do) via the interwebs, so not much more time to do projects, compared to the usual schedule.
    Although, I won't have classes until noon-ish on Thursday, and the weather might favor a night out taking pictures of some galaxies (Got my eyes on you, M51!).
    Just ordered some new equipment for my astrophotography setup, still need to buy some decent post-processing software, and I got 4 (Super nerdy) posters from Kurzgesagt I need to get framed and up on my office wall.

Just gotta buy the frames and drill some holes, when I get the time between work and gaming.
    I take it you guys have been doing online classes & teaching for a while? Here this completely nuked the moodle Berlin is providing to all schools.
    nevar forget

I'm wfh and have been pretty productive so far. I usually just work in a coworking space with one of the owners so it isn't too drastic a change in environment. We're in a somewhat counter cyclical part of the finance world so quite a lot going on right now.

I guess I'll fish out my guitar later as well, I haven't picked it up for a proper noodle for about 2 years now.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

I need to break out the banjo in true redneckistan style.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    GF bought a flat that we are remodeling. Slowly finishing the floors now. After thats done its just the things i cant do on my own.

Chipboard floors are the fucking worst m8. -rep

Its osb panels m8. One layer of styrofoam for sound insulation and 2 layers of osb panels in cross configuration. Over that vinyl flooring.

Here's my impromptu list:

- Work through my 50ish video game backlog
    - Find a good 4 hour cycle route
    - Weed out the good photos from the couple of thousand that I have taken and finish them
    - Properly practice guitar again
    - Learn how to electronic music and play keyboard
    - Get lots of "certificates" in online courses and work on a non-business related distance learning degree
    - Write an open source implementation of a machine learning algorithm variant we used in a project a few years ago
    - Read any of the 15 books that are piling up next to the bed
    - Figure out a home workout routine and make it stick
    - Learn how to pilot a drone and take photos with it
    - Plan some proper vacations
    - Write a TV series pilot that will never be made
    - Stop using my skateboard as room decoration

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Its osb panels m8. One layer of styrofoam for sound insulation and 2 layers of osb panels in cross configuration. Over that vinyl flooring.
    Having had OSB floorboards for a years now, i can attest to the creakiness of them due to the fasteners coming lose/not gripping very well. TBH its mainly cos pipework runs under it and taking up osb is hardly as trivial as regular floorboards but yeah i hate that shit.
    Turns out whoever build this shithole they build the partition walls over the flooring too so cant actually replace with proper plywood. without knocking down all the internal walls (which are made of compacted straw)

Yeah but that's shoddy work not the fault with osb itself.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Play my guitars.
    yep.

Also, this, as of yet, hasn't affect my company, really.
    Oh yea I do play the pipes as well. We should do an FHC composition celebrating our newfound hobby time.
    As we already have plenty of guitars around, I'll join with a bass then.
    what do you play? I play both... I've played more bass in front of actual people though.
    Pretty much like me.

Started off with playing guitar, then I "migrated" to bass when our former bass player left the school (back in the day). Stuck to it "in public" ever since and play the guitar at home. Guitar alone is more fun than bass alone.

I'm doing my second week of WFH which is to continue until further notice.

There are plenty of projects in and around the house outside of the business hours, the first one is to complete the final work on my Home Cinema:

Spoiler:

At least it isn't the end of the world that the public cinemas had to shut down.
    How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.