hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Refreshing the Shuttle X

Refreshing the Shuttle X

Decided to scrap my Android tv box that was pissing me off for an HTPC and make use of my old defunct Shuttle case that I built for my sister back in the Athlon days. The PSU gave out after a few years and it's been gathering dust ever since but she's still a looker and smaller than most SFF's out there.

Here she is
      Spoiler:

It's a 12 liter 20x20x30 cm box

Parts list

Shuttle PC45G Shuttle 250W
    ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac
    AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
    Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16
    Corsair Force MP510 M.2 SSD
    2 Noctua 80mm fans
    1 Noctua 40mm fan

The first thing you'll notice is that the fan seems... Problematic. Well I wasn't expecting anything else tbh. We're flying mostly blind here anyway
      Spoiler:

Well there's going to be some cutting done
      Spoiler:

The old standoffs had to go as well together with some new holes.

First step done. Now on to assembling this somehow.
      Spoiler:

Yeah this won't work, that fan has got to come off.
      Spoiler:

DISASTER STRIKES!
      Spoiler:
    Yeah so, that paste really stuck. That heatsink refused to let go and I ended up ripping the cpu straight out of the socket. Can't say I exerted myself doing it and luckily I pulled it straight up, didn't bend or break a single pin and it booted up like nothing had happened.

This is more like it.

Spoiler:
    This is what a naked Wraith Stealth cooler looks like. I also had the larger Spire available to me but the clearance from the cpu to the PSU is 30 mm give or take and it was simply too tall even with the fan off.

Dat memory clearance is sexy

Added a couple of fans.
      Spoiler:
    I decided to go for positive pressure in the case so that fan is set push in air. Since it doesn't have a back plate and holes in the sides this should reduce dust build up from awfull to moderate

The most important fan is the 40mm one. Flex ATX PSU fans are whiny annoying little buggers and replacing this with a PWM fan that can be hooked up to the mobo is a godsend. At 3.5k rpm the Noctua fan barely makes any noise and still pushes more air than the stock Protechnic fan does at 8k. Why do they bother with these loud fans?

All done
      Spoiler:

Very happy with this build with a few caveats that could be a project for a later date.
    I did get lucky with the ram, yes I picked the smallest one I could find on Asrocks QVL list, but that was a snug fit. I could have lowered the spacers maybe 2-3 mm but not much more than that.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Neat!
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Very nice, Daxling
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

That is a sweet build :3
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Modding an old Shuttle cube with a Dremel, now that is up my street. Very nice.

I sliced and diced a Shuttle SK83G some 16 years ago:

How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.

That makes me regret throwing my old Shuttle case away. In fact, i think it was almost exactly the same. Would make a nice pihole / plex machine now i guess.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Some observations:

1. The stock AMD cooler can have the shroud removed if you so desire. This would help with clearance.
    2. Instead of pulling the CPU out of the socket, generate some heat through usage, then shut down and twist the cooler off.
    3. Did the case have a non-standard hole for the I/O shield?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Some observations:

1. The stock AMD cooler can have the shroud removed if you so desire. This would help with clearance.
    2. Instead of pulling the CPU out of the socket, generate some heat through usage, then shut down and twist the cooler off.
    3. Did the case have a non-standard hole for the I/O shield?
    1. I know. It's still taller than 3 cm's. I did pull it off though and had it offset while the second 80mm Noctua fan was in the mail. Fun fact, the Wraith Stealth fan was quiter than the newer Wraith Spire that came with R5 3600. Much less motor noise. The only HSF I could find that would fit would be the Thermaltake engine 27. A smaller tower cooler turned 90 degrees might also be able to make work but in the end I went for the ghetto option with an offset fan. Temps are good though as the entire unit doesn't use more than 45w while streaming games and 25w while idle/netflixing/Youtubing.
    2. It's not like it'll happen again.
    3. Almost everything about Shuttle boxes were non standard but in this particular case (HA!) an ITX board without WIFI would have fit with some tinkering with a file. Of course there's practically no such thing these days. Oh yeah, the PCIE slot is actually usable albeit with only one slot tall cards. Maybe a PCIE m2 adapter card one day?

Started off with installing STEAM OS on it but that turned out to really deserve the Beta moniker. Windows 10 in pad mode works better than expected though together with the STEAM controller.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; January 16 2020 at 08:34:25 PM.

Nice build good luck, I have fond memories of my Shuttle PC running an AMD Athlom a 9700Pro, I infact still use the the carry bag that came with it today.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Nice build good luck, I have fond memories of my Shuttle PC running an AMD Athlom a 9700Pro, I infact still use the the carry bag that came with it today.
    This one?

Would the Noctua NH-L9a fit instead of the Frankenstein construction you got going? It's a mere 37mm tall.

I love to see 2200G and 3200G builds for stuff like that. Such a great little apu.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Would the Noctua NH-L9a fit instead of the Frankenstein construction you got going? It's a mere 37mm tall.

I love to see 2200G and 3200G builds for stuff like that. Such a great little apu.

Tapapapatalk
    I had a look at it earlier and no, it won't fit with the fan installed. I would have to offset the fan just as I have with the Stealth. And while it almost certainly would be better than my current contraption, silently running at 42 degress while idling and netflixing doesn't warrant upgrading. If it was a bigger cpu I'd consider it but the 2200G doesn't really require much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    This one?

yep that's the one

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Shuttleception