hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 157

Thread: Home Building/Improvement thread

  1. #101

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    8,305
    Waiting for some soil contaminants!

  2. #102
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,984
    oooo or an old mine shaft

  3. #103
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,155
    Why is it that its always the tiniest of details that causes the most headache?

    Turns out the color combination of my windows dont exist. How this wasnt made clear from the start is...interesting but here we are.
    And since I cant get that I have to chose something else, this in term effects the color of the actual house, the roof tiles, the metal bits associated with the roof, drain pipes and on and so on.

    Basically my entire idea around color combinations is now up in the air. Result; final-FINAL configuration of the house order will be delayed hence deliver is at risk. Again.

    But...got a few ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  4. #104

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    8,305
    Just go full pink like the panther.

  5. #105

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    2,082
    We are nearing the end of the dig out of the plot, my Building Guy is now working on the footings and utilities channels that are needed.



    So impressed with how far he got in a few days.

  6. #106
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,102
    How much earth was moved in the end? Massive change in a short time
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  7. #107
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,155
    I'm basically ready to move in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  8. #108
    epictetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    I'm basically ready to move in.
    Awesome view!
    Just set up a caravan and put a roof over it. Then focus on the more important parts, like a garage for the snow mobiles.

    Any update one the windows/house delivery?

  9. #109

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    How much earth was moved in the end? Massive change in a short time
    We are at about 90x loads with a bit more to go from the foundations. (About 2000tons) Its about 25% over the estimate because of a change we made. The footings and that final 20% detail is of course taking much longer especialyl as we are on solid rock now, Digger is using the Ripper to get through.

    Surprisingly, our timber frame company just told us that from measurement to delviery, its only 4x weeks! Thats actually a much faster schedule than we anticipated. We are looking at alternative additional funding as we might have a chance to spend more, but get the house sooner.

    @Lowa, looks awesome dude! Good luck!

  10. #110
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    16,274
    Nice view.

    I suggest an FHC housewarming party.
    nevar forget

  11. #111
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,155
    Thanks guys!

    And yes, window issue *should* be solved () it will be a bit of a gamble on the color but the good thing I'm switching to wood frames and bars, which I was on of the things I first got told couldnt be done, so in case it turns out it its just plane wrong I can change it down the line if I want to (compared to alu frames and bars which is basically impossible to re-paint).

    To be continued...


    ps. Epictetus; there WAS an actual small tent raised on one of the other lots (which has nothing done on it yet). I really hope its intentional and its like "first night at our new house" type thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  12. #112

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    2,082


    Footings are done for the foundations pretty much (the big job) some detail work to do and run the waste pipes but thats all good.

    Note the indoor perimter pool.. lol

    The house is fucking huge lol, way bigger than i thought it would be... so yay?

    Spoke with the timber frame company, they have had some changes lately. Basically prices have rocketed, so people have put projects on hold. Now we could choose to pay the expensive price but we would have a timber frame from measurement of the foundations, to house delviered to site. 4x weeks!! We are actually looking at alternative funding at the moment to speed it up. It might be worth us paying this summer time premium and jumping over others who have gone on hold.

  13. #113
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post


    Footings are done for the foundations pretty much (the big job) some detail work to do and run the waste pipes but thats all good.

    Note the indoor perimter pool.. lol

    The house is fucking huge lol, way bigger than i thought it would be... so yay?

    Spoke with the timber frame company, they have had some changes lately. Basically prices have rocketed, so people have put projects on hold. Now we could choose to pay the expensive price but we would have a timber frame from measurement of the foundations, to house delviered to site. 4x weeks!! We are actually looking at alternative funding at the moment to speed it up. It might be worth us paying this summer time premium and jumping over others who have gone on hold.
    Likely your best bet, the prices aren't only summertime related and will probably not settle down for a while.

  14. #114
    epictetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Thanks guys!

    And yes, window issue *should* be solved () it will be a bit of a gamble on the color but the good thing I'm switching to wood frames and bars, which I was on of the things I first got told couldnt be done, so in case it turns out it its just plane wrong I can change it down the line if I want to (compared to alu frames and bars which is basically impossible to re-paint).

    To be continued...


    ps. Epictetus; there WAS an actual small tent raised on one of the other lots (which has nothing done on it yet). I really hope its intentional and its like "first night at our new house" type thing.
    Cool that it seems to be working out

    Obviously the neighbor did the proper Swedish thing and built a Friggebod first, they will be putting up a Circus tent next :P

  15. #115
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    Dude, you know we only joked about building a castle and a moat right? Thats a huge space to fill. Awesome!



    So, windows sorted and delivery should be on the expected week (but as usual I expect something to get fucked).
    Next is to get that final "go-ahead" stamp from the building department, should have that sorted in a week (just need to make sure I have the stupid amount of papers and detail ready, or confirm I dont actually need it all). But is likely it will be fairly quick virtual meeting, thats what my closest neighbor did.

    I tried to be smart on getting planks and lumber before the price hike (50% up on Monday) but apparently that wasnt possible, and its almost cartel-like across every major outlet (for real!). And its frustrating as I keep hearing from "inside sources" (= a bit of self proclaimed knowitalls in the building business :P) that this is all BS anyway. There is no shortage here, our mills run 24/7 and there is no stop in production or rate and this is just a panic to grab money and re-evaluate prices, I doubt it will come back down to todays level after "they" deem crisis over.
    So since I got time until I need it I was told do forget for now, I dont need any for the actual house anyway (maybe a bit here and there but nothing that would cost me anything special).

    While I wait I can do the material calculations for the country sized terrace and some aux building(s), getting those as close as possible might actually be worth it if the prices are still high when the time comes.


    Anyway...now I have to go sort out my car and talk to insurance etc, cooling system exploded on the way back so its stranded half way home (towed to autoshop) and I had to finally get a taxi home.
    Edit: Oh yeah, also need to follow up with my boat insurance and boat storage as last week someone decided to make their way with the gear housing ... Its been a week of funs and fucks for sure!
    Last edited by Lowa [NSN]; July 1 2021 at 01:44:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  16. #116
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,155
    It. Never. Fuckin. Ends.

    So I got all permits and the go-ahead to really start digging. Yay! \o/

    For some reason we are now hearing there is a discrepancy of where the house is placed on the "blue print" vs how reality on the ground is.
    And that effects how much earth needs to be moved/filled out. By a lot.

    Its all kind of strange, I have had a first measuring and placement of corners etc which didnt sound any alarms. If we have to change placement and its not buy much that would likely be ok and workable.
    But if its further than 3m (I think) then the whole process of permits and approvals needs to go another round again, which given vacation time would probably take another 4-5 weeks.

    But we are working on understanding and a solution, hope to christ that its just a small-ish misunderstanding. If not, I might start thinking about that heroin addiction I've heard so much good things about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  17. #117

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    It. Never. Fuckin. Ends.

    So I got all permits and the go-ahead to really start digging. Yay! \o/

    For some reason we are now hearing there is a discrepancy of where the house is placed on the "blue print" vs how reality on the ground is.
    And that effects how much earth needs to be moved/filled out. By a lot.

    Its all kind of strange, I have had a first measuring and placement of corners etc which didnt sound any alarms. If we have to change placement and its not buy much that would likely be ok and workable.
    But if its further than 3m (I think) then the whole process of permits and approvals needs to go another round again, which given vacation time would probably take another 4-5 weeks.

    But we are working on understanding and a solution, hope to christ that its just a small-ish misunderstanding. If not, I might start thinking about that heroin addiction I've heard so much good things about.

    Dude I feel this pain so much, my plot was exactly the same way. In the words of my builder "there is no fucking way its going there!" lol Cost me an extra 4-6k and i think we were lucky. Our materialw as good quality spoil so we baasically paid only haulage (whichw asnt cheap).

    Biggest sympathies!

    I've got my 3x phase power at the plot now, planning on getting a marine hook up temporarily instaleld for power on site. Need a way to "turn it off" though when we arent there lol.

  18. #118
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,155
    Thanks, I really appreciate it. This is a roller coaster for sure!

    Well, at the time of this writing the problems with placement and either moving or adding a shit ton of dirt is solved. But I'm sure it will be back to the usual FUCK FUCK FUCK on Monday.
    Anyway, we did some digging so now it looks like this. The sticks and stones are the suggested change-points of placement and a few other things, its all very scientific.



    Added cost for sorting this out will be pretty much the same as you Equium, 6k which is fucking shit but...It will look very nice when done, I see why this has to be done.
    Basically we need to build a bigger/taller wall and phase it in a slightly different angle which requires more stone (and specific ones at that).

    I dont have a choice really and since thats the case I might as well make it right and that comes with a cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  19. #119
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,102
    That view looks like it'll be worth it
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  20. #120
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    That view looks like it'll be worth it

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •