hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Building/Improvement thread

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    Nice dude, I am taking a more hadns on approach and intending to be a more direct project manager role hiring the trades directly and intending to procure my materials myself. It is a minefield thats for sure. Building materials prices are rocketing. Concrete blocks were 50p at the pricey end 2 years ago, now they are nearing 2 a fucking block!!
    As others mentioned, holy shit you are in for quite a lot of pain. My cousins build houses for a living. They are quite detail oriented in their planning (and deservedly proud of that) and the type of stuff they have to keep in mind when planning is crazy.They have their Meister/master craftsman titles though.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Id defo make sure you get your tradesman's input at least when acquiring building materials. Often ends up with a load of bollocks bought for "savings" that don't really save you anything due to being shite or cheap or time consuming to install. I mean, builders can do it so its not hard but experience is massive in the game
    ohmyfuckinggod so much this

i had clients "save some money" on.... would you believe it... fucking bi folding doors, huge ones that span the whole rear of the property.

as if you havent just had us all here building the cunt to measure and you come on site in your PJ's like "Yeah got new door comin 2mo, cheaper than the quote from the guy who actually specced everything up"

also dont ever do the "while you here can you just"

TBH first time self build self managed jobs are always a fucking shitshow.

Just from my trade please please for the love of god, consider where you want your TV and broadband and get the cables put in well before the fucking plasterers are in and your new perma fixed hardwood flooring is on. Nothing says "i managed this myself" than slick new furniture pristine room ruined by errant cables draped to where you actually need them

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I am going to put in an offer on a house tomorrow. I can't afford to go 5% over list, so who knows if the offer will be accepted.
    I hope you went under what they're asking Good luck though
    I went 10k over list with an all-cash offer to buy as-is and let them choose the closing date.

There were at least 15 offers within two days. My offer was not accepted.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

TBH first time self build self managed jobs are always a fucking shitshow.

Just from my trade please please for the love of god, consider where you want your TV and broadband and get the cables put in well before the fucking plasterers are in and your new perma fixed hardwood flooring is on. Nothing says "i managed this myself" than slick new furniture pristine room ruined by errant cables draped to where you actually need them
    We need Elriche in here for the sparky perspective.

One thing I liked about my last two apartments. Before I moved in they were renovated and the landlord's spec for wall sockets was that there is no such thing as overkill. Two sockets per corner of the room, a few more to where a TV would most likely end up. My new place is not as overkill and it sucks.

Seriously, wall sockets everywhere is such an underrated quality of life upgrade.

Oh and since we're all nerds: cat 7 everywhere would be sweet.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    Oh dude, sad mutual high five on the sloped plot... Mine is the same (lol wales).

We are planning a full size basement as the planning required an intergrated lower garage anyway. So for relatively not much more, we are expanding that dig out to include a full size basement. Not gonna lie, its hard as fuck to get anywone to commit to a site visit for the dig out and spoil removal. Even with cash in the bank ready to go.
    :hi5: My little "trick" for dig out and spoil is that there are several other lots being done and we'll use the spoil from those and "recycle" that over to me (if it goes through, but sounds like it, landscapers liked it as it helps them too). Reducing the amount of external material needed is good money "saved".
    I was asked if I wanted to try for full size basement, apparently someone else is, but it would have resulted in a lot more ground work and another large exception to be filed for permit (and ofc added cost overall. And I dont really need it + no way to build access to a garage).

This is also up north-ish in Sweden so getting people to come out isnt easy, they are fat and lazy (for certain things anyway). I'm lucky to have some good contacts for wiring, bathroom, kitchen etc so calling in all favors I have (fuckers gonna pay for my IT assistance over the years ).
    The second big issue was where to house builders for like 4-5 months, its sorted now and not too expensive (splitting with another house project) but damn...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Yeah appreciate the good suggestions. I'm not coming at this completely cold after reading a self build book, the old man is a builder. he's contributing (a lot) with contacts and advice for the build. He's getting on so don't want to rely on him for the actual building. but sourcing amterials, guys.. etc. He's on point for that. BUT I ahve found a good trick for the retail stuff.

What I've found is that pricing stuff at retail from a websit (such as wickes) is giving me good inherently inbuilt margin/contingency. Great example is buying C24 graded timber. 6 per meter retail. Actual is about 4.something. per meter. So thats inbuilt contingency in amterial procurement. If Ic an afford the retail, then that bolds well for real life.

Id defo make sure you get your tradesman's input at least when acquiring building materials. Often ends up with a load of bollocks bought for "savings" that don't really save you anything due to being shite or cheap or time consuming to install. I mean, builders can do it so its not hard but experience is massive in the game
    This.

Contractors end up getting the best deal for materials and equipment, there is very little point sourcing your own 99% of the time. Vanity items and specific things like appliances and centre piece lights (ie: dining room chandelier) are different but if you want general area lighting or bog standard faucets, tubs, floor lay etc the Contractor will get an idea and come back with some suggestions at varying price ranges. Communication with your trades is key to getting the product you want. Don't be afraid to double check.

If you are doing this on a tight budget and can't get a separate builder to oversee the build I'd strongly suggest taking the advice of the people doing the framing/layout of the building - little bit of a collaborative "I want this, that" they'll go "We can do this, that, maybe rejig this here". Once that is done take a walk through and eye it up, make a little plan and go again with your Plumber, Electrician, Duckslayerjockey to spraypaint out locations for devices. Based on budget it is worth to 'future proof' your place by having a large enough electrical service - houses and dwellings in the past 10 years have skyrocketed in requirements. The average here used to be 100/125 amp, that is now 150-200 (sometimes more). This gives you wiggle room and the ability to renovate down the line to add more stuff - EV chargers are a prime example. If you can't afford it then that is understandable.

And for the love of god make sure you talk to your local Utilities and double, triple stamp to make sure they don't fuck you around waiting forever for an electrical service connection.
    Last edited by Elriche Oshego; March 9 2021 at 01:30:59 AM.

We completed and purchased the plot this week! Planning ammendment for material change was approved (as we expected). We also got our structural engineer design for our basement wall back and its actually a lot less substantial that we anticipated. I've estimated it at about 50% over the actual requirement. So thats great news for us, this could be a great saving.

In extra happy news, the spoil removal might be coming in under budget also. The material is (after speaking to some local landscapers/diggers) good quality shale. If I was so inclined I could probably sell it, but I'm happy to pay costs to just get it removed ASAP. The extra benefit is becuase its in demand, I can maybe get it done a bit quicker!

A temporary gas pipe is running on the edge of the property, already got a survey done by west wales utilities and they have given me a price of 1k to move it and replace it, so thats cheaper than I thought too. (Binding quote received).

I'm sure there is something lurking ahead but we really did work hard to do our homework. Lots of surveys and as mentioned before, working with the old man to get the msot out of his advice.

We went down today and started clearing all the overgrown bush on the plot. Need to clear it all away from the hedges to install Heras fencing and secure the plot. If only this was in the countryside, I would burn it all.. Damn sensitive townies!

Anyone ever used a smartphone for surveilance? Was thinking of getting a cheap contract that allows free video calls, then stremaing it a PC and using AI to record it. Any ideas?

Nice! Good progress then.

Requests for permit has been in for a little while, will kindly chase for update and eta next week. But that may not matter as next on the "things that can fuck this up"-list is the house manufacturer suddenly is like "oh, about that delivery/slot time...it might be a couple of weeks longer (ok, can work with that), or it might be a lot of weeks longer" (ok wtf is this?!?).
    Hard fact is that if they come back and say, its like 8 weeks delayed I'm fucked. And this all ends right there.
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post

Requests for permit has been in for a little while, will kindly chase for update and eta next week. But that may not matter as next on the "things that can fuck this up"-list is the house manufacturer suddenly is like "oh, about that delivery/slot time...it might be a couple of weeks longer (ok, can work with that), or it might be a lot of weeks longer" (ok wtf is this?!?).
    Hard fact is that if they come back and say, its like 8 weeks delayed I'm fucked. And this all ends right there.
    hate to say i

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post

hate to say i
    Hate to say it...this isnt the witty comeback you think it is. You act like this is something that wasnt ever a possibility or something that hasnt been considered.
    IF this indeed puts the mother of wrenches in my plan nothing really changes. It would be very disappointing of course but that will be about it, I can keep my land and just wait to start next spring.
    I could even start late this year and get it up to a baseline ("4 walls and a roof") and secure and conserve it for winter and pick up in the spring, that isnt unusual in these parts.

Or I can sell the land, but that seems stupid as the cost of just holding on to it is very low. But if I get to that point its likely I can do it for more than what I bought it for so...

Well its good planning progress, as you say it can all be unravelled if the parties involved don't co-operate. I'm still thinking about how to manage the builders. Day rates and procuring all amterials myself (more flexibility, more risk and more hard work) or just "here's a price," hand over the cash and wait/hope its ok. POssibly a bit of both, will defer to the old man.

@Lowa,

Material supply is my biggest concern. However, one potential beacon of hope is that I am noticing on the websites that mroe and more materials are back in stock and available to order. There was basically 0 useful isulation for sale before xmas, now most stuff is in stock. So thats got to be good?

Neighbor's house on another street went up for sale yesterday. Dad found out about it this afternoon, and I had less than 10 minutes to get up there and visit the open house. Put in an offer.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Neighbor's house on another street went up for sale yesterday. Dad found out about it this afternoon, and I had less than 10 minutes to get up there and visit the open house. Put in an offer.
    Offered 40k over list (house was undervalued). 22 offers. Didn't get it.

Do you live in London?
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post

Do you live in London?
    Minnesota, US. School district has gone to shit in the past twenty years, yet real estate has risen 30% in the past year.

WTF.

Is Minneapolis that popular?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Nerdstern just needs to stay within 500m of his parents residence for legal reasons we cant get into here ( )and the local estate agents are taking advantage of that.

I built a garden/flower bed retaining wall this weekend. Dug a nice trench, set in each 30-40 pound stone, came out pretty nice.

This was the third of three my wife had planned for her green thumb use on our property.

This third one was out front of the house, and is going to be just a massive amount of added space for flowers/plantings. Grass is such a boring waste of space, especially out front.