hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Building/Improvement thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fortior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    If your door is too strong you'll never see any return on investment for the puckle gun
    Ambushing and cannibalising looters is a risky strategy...

Glittering gold, trinkets and baubles - paid for in blood.
    You remember our venerable house, opulent and imperial.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    All about risk management. If you have a gun but not a fire extinguisher you have overlooked the bigger safety issue in a home in the West.
    Add a first aid kit and a basic first aid course. Way way way more likely to be used than either a gun or a fire extinguisher.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Or do as i did. Live in the 5th floor (you can imagine the pita it was to move the building materials up) without a lift and have a better door than most neighbors.

House buying is progressing, offer was accepted and mortgage application is now ongoing. Very exciting!

ON the sad side of housebuying, my project car is on hold until we build a workshop at the new house. I did want a steel skinned workshop/office but due to the proximity to toher houses, I dont think they would appreciate the industrial look. Might go for a timber framed and external cladding.

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    House buying is progressing, offer was accepted and mortgage application is now ongoing. Very exciting!

ON the sad side of housebuying, my project car is on hold until we build a workshop at the new house. I did want a steel skinned workshop/office but due to the proximity to toher houses, I dont think they would appreciate the industrial look. Might go for a timber framed and external cladding.
    Everythign is submitted, had one wrinkle in the solicitors review of our financials. We have to submit our tax returns early (which we expected) but there is a problem with mine, clerical HMRC problem that we need to wait for a letter. Could take 2-3 weeks which sucks.

But otherwise we are going ahead with the land registry searches and other items. Feels kind of weird that we are going to buy a house. I am not someone who is particularly motivated to buy a house, IM happy with the flexibility fo renting. BUT that said I amvery excited and I'm going two feet into this.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    I am going to put in an offer on a house tomorrow. I can't afford to go 5% over list, so who knows if the offer will be accepted.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I am going to put in an offer on a house tomorrow. I can't afford to go 5% over list, so who knows if the offer will be accepted.
    Thats awesome dude, congrats!

The house we went for turned out to be a bust. The weird metal frame in the roof which was in really good condition did not seem to extend all the way down to the foundations. There was evidence of failure in one of the corners, Slight bulging of the brickwork, almost imperceptible. Glad I tookt he old man as he was the one who saw it.

I'm now trying to buy a plot of land and modify the plannign permission. Fun fact, at no point will anyone ask you if you own land before you apply for planning permission. You can apply for planning permission, and trigger a load of notices for anywhere in the UK. So go nuts and apply for planning permission on the front lawn of buckingham palace lol

Solicitors are a bunch of cunts, news at 11. This is seriously happening to us: The exchange of titles has a load of seemingly SOP questions. I am in deepest south west wales. So questions like "Is the land effected by HS2?" should be a clear cut answer. No,. not for our sellers solicitors who have reluctantly, after months of complaints, finally answered "no" to this question. Originally everything was marked as "unknown" which is the worst fucking answer to give. Cunts. 7 months and ongoing to buy a piece of fucking land!!!!!

I hope you went under what they're asking Good luck though
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Since #buyingahouse is trending in here I might as well say I'm working towards building one (as in I will pay someone to build it because you know, these delicate IT hands wasnt made for hammer and nails).
    Got my land sorted and paid, house model selected and the overall layout/design done. The requests for building permits and all that other motherfucking shit needed is hopefully going in over the next week or two.
    Doesnt help that I need to get a couple of exceptions approved, but the "area building code" is 25yrs old and completely outdated compared to every single other area around it and that apparently may make it a bit easier to get the ok.

Assuming permits goes ok and everything goes as planned*, I'm aiming for it to be "completed" towards October and then in reality spend xmas/new years with missing windows and no floor.

*It wont. As everyone I know who have done this keep saying - Expect a lot of and moments with sprinkles of .
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Since #buyingahouse is trending in here I might as well say I'm working towards building one (as in I will pay someone to build it because you know, these delicate IT hands wasnt made for hammer and nails).
    Got my land sorted and paid, house model selected and the overall layout/design done. The requests for building permits and all that other motherfucking shit needed is hopefully going in over the next week or two.
    Doesnt help that I need to get a couple of exceptions approved, but the "area building code" is 25yrs old and completely outdated compared to every single other area around it and that apparently may make it a bit easier to get the ok.

Assuming permits goes ok and everything goes as planned*, I'm aiming for it to be "completed" towards October and then in reality spend xmas/new years with missing windows and no floor.

*It wont. As everyone I know who have done this keep saying - Expect a lot of and moments with sprinkles of .
    Nice dude, I am taking a more hadns on approach and intending to be a more direct project manager role hiring the trades directly and intending to procure my materials myself. It is a minefield thats for sure. Building materials prices are rocketing. Concrete blocks were 50p at the pricey end 2 years ago, now they are nearing 2 a fucking block!!

Usually the contractor can get a far better deal than you on the building material price. The difference can be upwards of 30%... Check beforehand with them. But a good idea of you overseeing the things yourself. Usually if you hire someone it just adds another layer of bullshit you have to deal with.

Oh boy... just wait until you find that lockpicking guy on youtube.

Solicitors are a bunch of cunts, news at 11. This is seriously happening to us: The exchange of titles has a load of seemingly SOP questions. I am in deepest south west wales. So questions like "Is the land effected by HS2?" should be a clear cut answer. No,. not for our sellers solicitors who have reluctantly, after months of complaints, finally answered "no" to this question. Originally everything was marked as "unknown" which is the worst fucking answer to give. Cunts. 7 months and ongoing to buy a piece of fucking land!!!!!
    I found exchanging phone numbers with the other party speeds things up considerably, the number of times that one solicitor insists their waiting for a response from the other until you inform them that you're sharing progress updates with each other... They get a couple of warnings then they get micromanaged.
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Also, never tell the estate agent what you can afford, or anyone else for that matter. You're not the client, the person selling the house is. If you say "I can afford 210 but can you offer 190?" the estate agent will hear "tell the seller you can afford 210 and reject the offer"
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Completed by october

doesnt yet have final and complete planning permission

Fuck me m8, you and nordstern should be a double act

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Also, never tell the estate agent what you can afford, or anyone else for that matter. You're not the client, the person selling the house is. If you say "I can afford 210 but can you offer 190?" the estate agent will hear "tell the seller you can afford 210 and reject the offer"
    That depends, often the agent is buyers friend, as the agent gets paid a cut of the sales price and it is in his interests to get more deals closed in a given time than to get the last penny out of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

Completed by october

doesnt yet have final and complete planning permission

Fuck me m8, you and nordstern should be a double act
    I am aware. Hence these lines: "then in reality spend xmas/new years with missing windows and no floor." and "*It wont. As everyone I know who have done this keep saying - Expect a lot of and moments with sprinkles of ."
    There are some contingency plans in place, but staying positive as same house and building plans have been approved at another area not far away (same deciding group) and other houses in same area got exceptions approved.

And fuck it, worst thing that can happen is that I'll have a nice piece of land to put up a tent at (and still keeping my apartment so its not like I be on the street or cant wait if shit really goes down the drain).
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Nice dude, I am taking a more hadns on approach and intending to be a more direct project manager role hiring the trades directly and intending to procure my materials myself. It is a minefield thats for sure. Building materials prices are rocketing. Concrete blocks were 50p at the pricey end 2 years ago, now they are nearing 2 a fucking block!!
    Thanks mate! And you approach is daring! But I'm jelly. I would not have the nerve or knowledge to go at it like that (at least not in the time frame I want this done). The only reason I can be a bit quick about it is that I know both the house vendor and the project lead/building manager well, seen they do their stuff before and even the pre-work done already is impressive.
    And yeah, the fucking costs... as my lot is sloped there is serious work needed to get the house foundation done and while it does include getting utilities pulled in and connected (inc fibre, floor heating etc) its still a considerable amount above "average". But then again, I got no real choice anyway, and for the view I'm getting I consider it worth it. Also played a couple of landscapers against each other and got price down by ~€12-13k.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post
    Oh boy... just wait until you find that lockpicking guy on youtube.
    I have been following for quite some time. He is great and also why I'm considering no locks and proximity triggered Gatling guns.
    But on a serious note, doors (and locks) are fucking expensive! I was checking out a nice (smaller) double front door, nothing special really and it was like €2500-2700!

Oh dude, sad mutual high five on the sloped plot... Mine is the same (lol wales).

We are planning a full size basement as the planning required an intergrated lower garage anyway. So for relatively not much more, we are expanding that dig out to include a full size basement. Not gonna lie, its hard as fuck to get anywone to commit to a site visit for the dig out and spoil removal. Even with cash in the bank ready to go.

Id defo make sure you get your tradesman's input at least when acquiring building materials. Often ends up with a load of bollocks bought for "savings" that don't really save you anything due to being shite or cheap or time consuming to install. I mean, builders can do it so its not hard but experience is massive in the game