hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: Home Building/Improvement thread

Oh my god, mad jelly. That is beautiful.
    nevar forget

Well im spending 4 weeks in July in Norway. I know where im dropping by for a bbq.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post

Still working on selecting main wooden floor, I was good to go but price jumped so much its no longer reasonable. So almost back to square one on that but got a few ideas. After that is selecting tiles for entrance and bathroom.
    There are many, many, maaaany options. And also the rest of the stuff that goes into a bathroom. But even here I should not be too far off from being decided. I’m sure that just thinking that jinxes everything.
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. Need tiles for kitchen as well. And finish up kitchen design. [inhales valium]

And did I mention shit is expensive. How in the fuck can people afford this?

But…we are still on good track and we expect to be finish within our ETA with exception of terrace and painting (which isn’t needed to get final approval of “your house is finished, go forth and conquer!”).
    That is a very nice design, mezzanine floors are awesome.

Is the plan to have a free standing log fire fitted between the two front windows by any chance?

Oh and welcome to the world of house building/rebuilding, may the money last until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

Still working on selecting main wooden floor, I was good to go but price jumped so much its no longer reasonable. So almost back to square one on that but got a few ideas. After that is selecting tiles for entrance and bathroom.
    There are many, many, maaaany options. And also the rest of the stuff that goes into a bathroom. But even here I should not be too far off from being decided. I’m sure that just thinking that jinxes everything.
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. Need tiles for kitchen as well. And finish up kitchen design. [inhales valium]

But…we are still on good track and we expect to be finish within our ETA with exception of terrace and painting (which isn’t needed to get final approval of “your house is finished, go forth and conquer!”).

Is the plan to have a free standing log fire fitted between the two front windows by any chance?

Oh and welcome to the world of house building/rebuilding, may the money last until the end.
    Thanks all, really appreciate it! I just hope I dont fuck it up too much before its done. And I'll have a bbq to discuss about a bbq so we can potentially say it was all planned for during the bbq.

@Mashie: There was once a plan for the fireplace to be between those windows but couldnt be done due to some stupid stuff around "structural integrity" or some such nonsense. :P
    Basically the way I was "forced" to build the roof/roof angle and supporting beams required for that made it impossible for such placement.

It will be placed on the left side in that picture, like this. Would have been nice to get between windows but Im absolutely fine with it like this.
    From a practical standpoint its probably best placement for added heating too.

Speaking of money, had a hint of what my electric installation will end on and I'm running out of viable body parts to sell. And this is without the cost of the actual lamps, downlights etc. And I'm sure it wont include travel and housing.
    But I'm told its within reasonable range for this and while the guy doing it is not the cheapest he is very good. And I learned, in the good kind of way, when I did the landscaping that you get what you pay for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar

Thanks all, really appreciate it! I just hope I dont fuck it up too much before its done. And I'll have a bbq to discuss about a bbq so we can potentially say it was all planned for during the bbq.

@Mashie: There was once a plan for the fireplace to be between those windows but couldnt be done due to some stupid stuff around "structural integrity" or some such nonsense. :P
    Basically the way I was "forced" to build the roof/roof angle and supporting beams required for that made it impossible for such placement.

It will be placed on the left side in that picture, like this. Would have been nice to get between windows but Im absolutely fine with it like this.

Speaking of money, had a hint of what my electric installation will end on and I'm running out of viable body parts to sell. And this is without the cost of the actual lamps, downlights etc. And I'm sure it wont include travel and housing.
    But I'm told its within reasonable range for this and while the guy doing it is not the cheapest he is very good. And I learned, in the good kind of way, when I did the landscaping that you get what you pay for.
    can you be my dad?

Not sure my parenting skills are up for the task? Are you anything like a 6 and 9 year old girl addicted to Roblox?
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Not sure my parenting skills are up for the task? Are you anything like a 6 and 9 year old girl addicted to Roblox?
    yes essentially the same, but i'm in my early 30s.

Oh my gosh the house looks absolutely gorgeous and the interior design is lit! Congratulations and hope to see more lovely updates like these. Costs are always a pain but if you started it you gotta finish it (probably what the scamtructors base their businesses on).

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Minecraft m8. Just make sure he follows clear and strict rules set down in the house, or you would need a catholic priest to dislodge him from the computer when it's bedtime.

Nice crib btw. Excellent choice making the decision of setting it up in the middle of nowhere too (not being sarcastic here, it looks so serene and peacefull)

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Minecraft m8. Just make sure he follows clear and strict rules set down in the house, or you would need a catholic priest to dislodge him from the computer when it's bedtime.

Nice crib btw. Excellent choice making the decision of setting it up in the middle of nowhere too (not being sarcastic here, it looks so serene and peacefull)
    Apparently his close neighbor is a mere 300-400 meters away. A 6 year old can mine Ice in eve and you can rmt that.

Looks dope Lowa <3
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

My winter project was to finally add a workbench and storage shelving to the garage:

There are still a few more hooks to be added to the walls but it is pretty much done now. I fitted the LED panels over the weekend, they are very bright.

That looks pretty nice and well organised, but that chair looks quite uncomfortable.

My winter project was to finally add a workbench and storage shelving to the garage:

Spoiler:

There are still a few more hooks to be added to the walls but it is pretty much done now. I fitted the LED panels over the weekend, they are very bright.
    Hnng...order. I can taste it. It taste so goodddd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    That looks pretty nice and well organised, but that chair looks quite uncomfortable.
    That replica tractor seat is actually really comfortable. Ok it is cold as hell to sit on in the winter but no surprise with cast iron. It warms up reasonably fast.

Hnng...order. I can taste it. It taste so goodddd.
    It is quite nice after being a mess for the past 7 years.

Pimp house. Very relaxing vibe.

Just to turn down the hype levels to normal "oh, here comes teh Fuckering"-mode.

- Wood panels for roof. Put up, looked good. Now torn down as they got fucked once they got warm (warped so much they got u-shaped almost). Upside, wood shop that made them admitted they must have fucked up and will replace at no cost (inc carpenter work). Down side is no ETA.
    - Wood panels for walls, half way up. Looks great, no issues. Also fit and look very nicely to use as window "frames".
    - Tiles for entrance floor and bathroom delivered. First round of putting them up this week/weekend.
    - Floor decided (Yay!) and right now does not have long lead times (double-yay!). Might need to hold off due to the below to time with having workforce on site.
    - Kitchen design 99.9%% done, will run it through the carpenter for final check and then push to order, so this week. Lead time...unclear. Likely 4-6w. And once I get frames the stone counter will need to have its final measurement and then sent to order. 6w. Fridge, oven etc looks good on delivery tho.
    - Water/heating pump. Ordered in October. Still no delivery date. They talk about there are 700-1000 in queue. My position in this q is not known. This is really the big one. If that is not installed I cant take possession of the house even if everything else is done and ready...

All delivery and lead times has basically jumped by a 1-2 months/unknown or more from just a few weeks ago. Its insane, its now truly effecting every fuckin thing. From nails to electronics through wood to cutlery to getting a simple chair!
    I dont understand that this isnt main news by now, this is unprecedented truly. Not unexpected or really unknown but given news medias taste for this I dont understand why this isnt front page (ok fine, there is this thing in Ukraine now).
    Try buying a new car. Or hell, try get a used one. I've had 3 friends tell me that they have either tried to by or been offered substantially more than a new car costs for their 2 year old ones.

And lastly a PSA! If you build a new house - Make sure to ask about what needs to be done (and I mean done and fully planned!) before the house vendor puts out the building schematics that goes to the firm thats going to build the thing!
    Reason: No one told me about that stuff (which they should have but apparently this is a thing). If you for example has not given a kitchen design to your house vendor they will put in a "mock up" kitchen. Ok, fine right? We can just build our kitchen later. Wrong!
    Problem is that if you dont ask or supply them with an ACTUAL design they will put that "mock kitchen" into the building plans and the builder will build according to spec (and rightly so).
    I was lucky to be on site and observe things and asked why my kitchen fan/vents where coming down they way they were and a few other things. I could not fix everything to 100% but if I had not been there it would have gotten totally fucked.
    And while it doesnt sound like a big thing, trust me it is. I dont know how it works in other countries but this can have real implications. This goes for kitchen, bathroom etc. Any place where utilities comes in/out or where appliances are placed.

I am happy for you and all but that must have been the biggest list of first world problems i read in years <3
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    I am happy for you and all but that must have been the biggest list of first world problems i read in years <3
    It absolutely is. And I am aware of it and should have made a comment stating it tbh.
    Especially given current situation my house problems are insignificant.