hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Home Building/Improvement thread

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    That view looks like it'll be worth it
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lowa [NSN] again.
    HALP!
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    That view looks like it'll be worth it
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lowa [NSN] again.
    HALP!
    I hereby notify you that I have conveyed your feeling of approval to the counterparty of concern.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Looking at the ground, is the soil mostly alluvial? Guessing a sump pump isn't necessary.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Looking at the ground, is the soil mostly alluvial? Guessing a sump pump isn't necessary.
    Yes? Im not a soil guy but the workers are v happy to work with it. Also no Radon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar

Is that what Ed Sheeran used to build a swimming pool when he was denied planning permission?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Made a nice status update post, miss clicked and managed to kill the browser window.
    So here is just a picture of the big ass stone "wall" made to secure the slope and add drainage for back of the house.

Overall its proceeding according to plan(-ish).
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

So you got stoned...

So, first parking at the parking space completed. And its all a bit more cleaned up around the stone slope, will have nice good clearing between that and the house. And we aim to be ready to pour concrete next week (if things goes to plan).

Right now I'm doing changes to where I want some of the plumbing done around the bathroom and the "engineering" room (where the heater, water, electricity etc will come up/be placed).
    It sound easy and it probably is but hell, I am not an architect so lets just leave it at that. The technical drawings are not the best either it has to be said tho. But I think I got it down, now to make sure the people on the ground get what I mean...

Next is...fuck...a lot I'm sure. But all in all...stressful but moving forward.

It seems you forgot to dig the moat. Other then that it looks like pretty awesome progress

The view looks amazing! But can you give us some idea of the scale? For a very weird reason my first impression is that the house is tiny, perhaps 6-by-8 meters or so. =S

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    The view looks amazing! But can you give us some idea of the scale? For a very weird reason my first impression is that the house is tiny, perhaps 6-by-8 meters or so. =S
    Thats a mazda cx5 on the pic on the right. With a 4.5 m length you're probably not that far off. Id say 8x11 tho

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    isnt that the foundation for the garage? and house is further up the track?

isnt that the foundation for the garage? and house is further up the track?
    Nope.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Thats a mazda cx5 on the pic on the right. With a 4.5 m length you're probably not that far off. Id say 8x11 tho
    Hehe, the iphone and it does a bit of fish eye if zoomed out max so it does look a bit off. And the angle doesnt help either. But those guesses are pretty close to the mark, 7x12m. So while I would have loved for that to be the garage only it is not.
    Not the largest house, will be 90sqm total living space (71 + 19). Would have loved to make it twice that but shit's expensive yo! Maybe in the future I'll make a permanent move up there then I'll go build that and a proper garage.

Parade of Homes is going on again, and it's worse than last time. The townhomes I saw earlier this year which I really liked and started at $416k-420k are still available.

Starting at $506k.

Parade of Homes is going on again, and it's worse than last time. The townhomes I saw earlier this year which I really liked and started at $416k-420k are still available.

Starting at $506k.
    Can you give examples/links to an example you looking at?

Did a quick browse and, while its a lot of money, even the 5000sqft $1m homes would be 2-3x that at least in the better suburbs around Stockholm. Not sure what is more insane.
    For fun I checked, there is a ~3000sqft home in (a very) popular burb (18min by car from the city center) out now with starting price of $3m. This is exceptional but still.

edit: lol checked more, turns out its not that exceptional jfc... 8 more houses in same size in that area all between $2.2-3.2m.
    Last edited by Lowa [NSN]; September 14 2021 at 11:57:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post

Starting at $506k.
    Can you give examples/links to an example you looking at?
    Demo models: https://www.paradeofhomes.org/builders/1591
    Floorplan I liked for the master suite: https://rturbanhomes.com/floorplans/...revival-three/
    Floorplan I liked for the loft/office: https://rturbanhomes.com/floorplans/.../revival-four/

I toured a bunch of houses this spring, but most of them had layouts I didn't like: rooms were too big, were situated in odd places (master bedroom opens to the kitchen? wtf?), lack of storage space, etc. The designs above are compact, but nice. Would prefer a bigger yard, but developers don't want that.

Did a quick browse and, while its a lot of money, even the 5000sqft $1m homes would be 2-3x that at least in the better suburbs around Stockholm. Not sure what is more insane.
    For fun I checked, there is a ~3000sqft home in (a very) popular burb (18min by car from the city center) out now with starting price of $3m. This is exceptional but still.

edit: lol checked more, turns out its not that exceptional jfc... 8 more houses in same size in that area all between $2.2-3.2m.
    Well, this isn't Stockholm. It's a mid-sized metropolitan area, and in a third/fourth-tier suburb as well. The main problem is finding a good starter home for under $350k. If you're willing to spend half a mil, great, there are lots of excellent homes that are 3000+ sq ft. But smaller homes have inflated valuations, because that's where private equity like BlackRock is aiming.

It's turning into the Los Angeles or Seattle market.

Those looked nice! Overall the Revival 4 would have been my choice.
    Doing the 3D tour (same software/solution my house tour is in as well) I can see that the layout would be best suited for a less open area/might not want bedroom facing the street though.
    But it would be a boss move to keep the toilet windows clear and stair people in the eye while doing ones business.

I feel you on the entry point price, there were actually new data released in Sweden as well the other day, average price is $400k for a "standard" house. This ofc varies between where in Sweden you are, cheapest areas are ~150k.
    Got a friend trying to find something now, its a bitch and he is pretty far from Stockholm.