hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Road Trip West Coast Edition - Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Jags View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Traveling from Washington to California along the coast takes four to five times as long as driving down I-5.
    Confirming this , its a brilliant drive though and well worth the time spent on it. We split at Portland , Grants Pass and Eureka on the way up. First two were to visit friends so not really needed. Great fun though
    Yeah BTW if you want to have an interesting drive, take highway 1, and prepare to take your time. If you want intense boredom derived suicidal ideations and an introduction to crushing existential nihilism take I-5 it'll take 1/10 the time but the consequences are forever...

So we did some further planning. When looking into additional East Coast stops we quickly ran into a four/five week trip out of a six week summer break. That would have been a bit too much both in terms of money and time.

So far the plan is Vancouver, Seattle, then about a week to get down to San Francisco, then over to Yosemite and then to Vegas. From there back to Germany.

For now my idea would be to not book any hotels or anything in advance for that week between Seattle and San Francisco to be a little flexible in what to see and what to do. That was the mode of travel I did with my family ages ago. Is this still viable today? How expensive are motels nowadays?

We're not too picky on where we stay.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    So we did some further planning. When looking into additional East Coast stops we quickly ran into a four/five week trip out of a six week summer break. That would have been a bit too much both in terms of money and time.

So far the plan is Vancouver, Seattle, then about a week to get down to San Francisco, then over to Yosemite and then to Vegas. From there back to Germany.

For now my idea would be to not book any hotels or anything in advance for that week between Seattle and San Francisco to be a little flexible in what to see and what to do. That was the mode of travel I did with my family ages ago. Is this still viable today? How expensive are motels nowadays?

Tapapapatalk
    Depends on the time of year, etc, of course, and depending on where, but you could get a room in smaller towns for $50 and up a night. depending on season. Booking.com also viable for smaller guesthouses on a that or a couple of days kind of notice. I've been using it for a while (even in South Africa) and they have a great network of smaller B&B type places you'd probably struggle to even find otherwise.

Your Motel 6, etc still exist and there are a few other motels/Holiday Inns around, but the above is what I do. High summer is normally pretty busy. For Yosemite, there are some places on hwy120, just outside the park that are much less busy, which are cool to stay, not as crowded, still deep in the woods, then day trip into the park, but you are advised to book ahead there.
    meh

Tapapapatalk
    they're not bad, maybe $50 a night in a lot of places, one thing to note though, look for reviews online and make sure there are a lot of them. I have stories... about not checking the hotel thoroughly before getting a room online.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post

Tapapapatalk
    they're not bad, maybe $50 a night in a lot of places, one thing to note though, look for reviews online and make sure there are a lot of them. I have stories... about not checking the hotel thoroughly before getting a room online.
    Only potential hitch might be finding vacancies on the coast in summer. Generally not the kind of thing you’d need to book months in advance, but call ahead in the morning or the night before to make sure there’s a spot for you. Rolling into a small coast town in the evening without a reservation is a good way to not find a room.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post

Tapapapatalk
    Only potential hitch might be finding vacancies on the coast in summer. Generally not the kind of thing you’d need to book months in advance, but call ahead in the morning or the night before to make sure there’s a spot for you. Rolling into a small coast town in the evening without a reservation is a good way to not find a room.
    We did that in 2005. We then ended up going a bit further away from the coast and ended up in San Luis Obispo for example, which was much more up our alley than Santa Barbara.
    nevar forget

Tapapapatalk
    Booking.com is your friend. Used it a lot when we went inland from Seattle and into the Cascades (do that if you get a chance) usually spent no more than $50 and tried touse Best Westerns. All were clean although nothing spectacular, just for the love of fuck avoind the sausages in gravy for breakfast , looks like turd in sick.

Banned

Tapapapatalk
    Booking.com is your friend. Used it a lot when we went inland from Seattle and into the Cascades (do that if you get a chance) usually spent no more than $50 and tried touse Best Westerns. All were clean although nothing spectacular, just for the love of fuck avoind the sausages in gravy for breakfast , looks like turd in sick.
    >American 'gravy'
    http://puu.sh/kTSQD/2e39d12cac.png
    http://i.imgur.com/AfHQMwR.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/sQRclby.png

Tapapapatalk
    Biscuits and Gravy is a n1.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post

Tapapapatalk
    >American 'gravy'
    Depends on where you have it. Sometimes it's good. A Best Western would not be one of those times.
    meh

Yeah Joe, why don't you visit Germany?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

I have it from reliable sources that Joe can't cross the border into germany

If you get a chance try and get a reservation at The French Laundry north of San Fran in Yountville for a truly outstanding meal. Failing that his cheaper restaurant Ad Hoc, Bouchon Bistro, Bouchon Bakery all still outstanding .
    My Favorite Restaurant in San Fran is Lazy Bear , and for more casual dining State Bird Provisions.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    wat and/or y u necro bro ?

Strong necro

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    it was a bot that necro'd recommending joe visit germany. post deleted now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    it was a bot that necro'd recommending joe visit germany. post deleted now.
    Aaah that makes more sense, yeah

JFC.
    nevar forget

This thread aged well

The things we thought in January 2020

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it