hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sit-stand desk & chair considerations

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Imo standing desks are the new bullshit after "eat a salad". If you're fat, hit the fucking gym, standing in front of your desk will only give you varices and other issues. Just standing when trying to do work is pants on head retarded and it does fuck all for productivity when your legs start to hurt like a bitch and your back will be yelling for respite because you're still a fat fuck standing instead of sitting.

Sorry for the rant
    erm you what
    "sit the fuck down, fatty"
    Standing is not for fat loss though innit.

Better for posture, possibly core strength - but youd have to be really slack dirtbag for that.
    i know, i was just paraphrasing what Cosmin was typing imo

Meanwhile the fucking fickle monitor has come back to life. I fucking hate xmas.
    And the biking note in the first post was an indication I'm not fat, but the sedentary lifestyle is being shown to be worse than smoking, so 'everything in moderation'.
    Also that rant's just ignoring/demeaning the skill involved in all arts & crafts that effectively require standing work.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

For the record, to have a desk that's the right height for a non-draughtsman's chair to sit at, while also high enough to stand at and have typical VESA arms raise up from, you'll end up wanting effectively a garage-style "heavy-duty" workbench ~85-90cm high, 60cm deep.
    Adjustable feet, at least 1 lower shelf, either vertical or no sheet steel under the top front & back, as square-section typically interferes with arm clamps. A lack of steel here also enables adding a keyboard tray.
    Also often available in an all solid wood construction. Sometimes with a drawer that might be repurposed for keyboard tray.

P.S. The better solution to PC caddies could just be a tabletop on the floor to convert all of the under-table carpet area to one better suited for PCs, routers, etc. And spread the weight to avoid wheel/feet impressions.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; December 2 2019 at 09:21:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Standing is not for fat loss though innit.

Better for posture, possibly core strength - but youd have to be really slack dirtbag for that.
    My rant perhaps was a bit too widespread. The point is that if you are over weight, standing will hurt you a lot more than sitting - it's physics. However, apparently it "boosts productivity" - there are numerous "studies" - and apparently it "improves health". I'd like a chat with the numbnuts who think that my bulging superficial leg veins that start to hurt horrendously after 30 minutes of standing around doing nothing is "boosting productivity" or "improving my health".

Tl;dr of my rant was supposed to be: standing desks are a fad, just get a normal desk and a proper chair so you don't feel like you're slaving around at home as well.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Standing for a little bit would help, better than sitting all the time, but the equivalent benefit could be gotten from getting up and walking over for a short break. I feel like sit stand desks are the result of wanting to boost worker productivity under the guise of health benefits. Why take a break or go exercise when you could get a sit-stand desk instead? Don't think, just say "study" and consume product (then get back to your busywork so I look good, peon).

The biggest difference they make is actually when sitting down. Desk heights are lowest common denominator. We require fully adjustable chairs, we should do the same for desks. My desk at home is almost 40cm higher than the ones in my current customer's office. Also, should I choose, I can occasionally stand, which is super useful when I'm on long calls, because you sound better standing up.

moved the laptop working on location on top a bunch of old tower PC's (perfect standing height for me) so I am now splitting my day 50/50 sitting standing. it has made a huge difference I don't get dead legs or frozen knees any more (but then I have medical issues with legs and circulation so ..) very tempted to ask about standing desk now or at least adjustable monitor / keyboard stand.
    but last time i checked with HR if they had any requests from staff so I could get plan for it I was essentially laughed out of the office. I don't thing any one will get very far with that request.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Standing for a little bit would help, better than sitting all the time, but the equivalent benefit could be gotten from getting up and walking over for a short break. I feel like sit stand desks are the result of wanting to boost worker productivity under the guise of health benefits. Why take a break or go exercise when you could get a sit-stand desk instead? Don't think, just say "study" and consume product (then get back to your busywork so I look good, peon).
    Basically this was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    The biggest difference they make is actually when sitting down. Desk heights are lowest common denominator. We require fully adjustable chairs, we should do the same for desks. My desk at home is almost 40cm higher than the ones in my current customer's office. Also, should I choose, I can occasionally stand, which is super useful when I'm on long calls, because you sound better standing up.
    Of course there's a big difference when you sit down after you've been standing for a while. Relief without actually going for a break. Employer points++ for boosting productivity.
    And what is that thing with sounding better when standing up? I know that smiling on the phone actually makes you sound better/friendly, but standing up vs sitting? Wot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    moved the laptop working on location on top a bunch of old tower PC's (perfect standing height for me) so I am now splitting my day 50/50 sitting standing. it has made a huge difference I don't get dead legs or frozen knees any more (but then I have medical issues with legs and circulation so ..) very tempted to ask about standing desk now or at least adjustable monitor / keyboard stand.
    but last time i checked with HR if they had any requests from staff so I could get plan for it I was essentially laughed out of the office. I don't thing any one will get very far with that request.
    Mate, I don't want to be mean, but you probs need to lose more weight. This is coming from somebody who usually got dead legs and frozen knees when sitting at a desk for long periods of time. Diet + gym later, these problems are all but gone, although I am still over weight.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Seems like a strange topic to embark on a mini crusade over, but you do you.

P.S. I wrote that sentence while standing at my desk.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    I'm stood up posting this too

SUCK MY DICK

coulda swore i posted the link to 2ndhand.com for cheap reconditioned decent office chairs in here but hey ho.