hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sit-stand desk & chair considerations

Lightbulb Sit-stand desk & chair considerations

bit of a brain-dump after a few days of searching:

So I'm one of those apparently-in-the-minority people for whom chairs just fucking work, I can sit at my current setup all day erryday no back pains, RSI, etc etc. And I managed to bike 1500miles this summer.
    But the leather chair's wearing out (and the desk could have more room for activities), so this seems an opportunity to investigate the sit-stand fad on the cheap.
    I have a dual monitor, dual PC setup atm (both monitors wired to both PCs). Dell monitors, great stands for sitting use, also confident they'll fit onto VESA mount points.
    The desk keeps the PCs off of the floor, though the shelves could have been orientated to give more leg room. Also has a slide-out keyboard + mouse tray/shelf.

I expect to trial shifts of sitting & standing per day, not just all standing while keeping sitting as a backup plan.

I have found 4 ways to go about this:

1. Desk converter: an adjustable height platform that'd bear the keyboard + mouse + monitors, keeping them all relative each other for ease of swapping.
      Primarily they're not designed for fitting or bearing multiple monitor stands. So I'd need to get at least 1 sufficiently adjustable monitor arm/stand (hard to beat the Dell ones but it won't go high enough alone).
      I don't need space for a huge gaming mousepad, I'm not currently playing any FPS that need 2' pads to cope with vertical recoil control drags (cough PUBG cough).
      But these converters seem to need more space than I have available on the current desk, especially if I'm keeping 1 monitor stand on it.
      A minor issue is they effectively raise the desk height, requiring a chair that'll raise higher than my current one just to recover the same sitting ergonomics.

I don't seem to have a record of finding on with a large enough desk & keyboard surface for less than 180, manually operated. Any basic desk is going to put this combo over 200 easily.

2. Highly adjustable monitor arms: either with keyboard/mouse arms, or using a large but weak desk converter just for them.
      Single-base dual-monitor setups are kinda expensive, especially motorised for sit-stand use, certainly so if also having a proper keyboard+mouse shelf (lol 350).
      Some single monitor arms also have laptop holding options, a pair of these could hold a monitor each and the keyboard/mouse. Both would need to be adjusted independantly for each sit/stand transition, nbd.
      Often monitor arms are not able to change in height enough to function for sit-stand usage.

This 100 product might be the best all-in-1 offering if I can find more info about the monitor-to-keyboard dimensions.
      There's a lot that claim sit-stand purpose, but you'll notice you have to mess with screws behind the arms to adjust them every time.
      A pair of these 30 gas-piston ones should work? Combo'd with a lightweight desk converter for keyboard & mouse (35)?

3. Adjustable desk height: Manually operated or electric motors.
      Not cheap iirc. 200+ easily, concerns about load-bearing, often no wheels, I like having a slide-away tray, monitor stands still take up a lot of room compared to how arms wouldn't.
      Desks so designed often lack PC shelves, PCs don't want to be on the floor (for circulation). Solution is additionally getting a pair of cheap PC caddies (13). Then also provides optimal leg room. But so could any new cheap static desk plus these.

4. Static standing-height desk setup + "drafting/draughtsman" tall chair.
      Get a new desk/not-easily-adjusted monitor arms, set it for standing height use, get a new tall chair to suit.
      Hard to find a decent cheap such chair with adjustable arm-rests. 90 / 127 / 158 / a lot more.
      I've not been against spending on decent monitors as they last years and are easy on the eyes, but I'm somewhat reluctant to shell out on a chair if it's going to be awkward to keep if I don't like the standing setup (and the current one was a fluke cheap perfect fit).

I haven't yet found a regular chair with adjustable/curved arm rests better than 71, be that leather or mesh-backed.

Anything I've missed? Any personal experiences, or recommendations?
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; November 24 2019 at 05:45:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

What is your budged for chairs?

We got Herman Millers in the office and they are incredible, but so is its price tag.
    If you want the best, no need to continue looking.
    https://www.btod.com/blog/herman-miller-aeron-review/

At home I got a NeueChair, not as expensive and very good.
    Only down side is no adjustable seat, and you can't remove arm rests (because they have controls embedded)
    https://neuechair.com/
    The Epic Store is amazing, I've been able to save so much money by not buying their games.

Not sure why I'd pay 5x the price over something like this 82 or this 160?

In this modern age, there is no charity from the businesses.
    You get what you pay for, there is probably a reason why they are so much cheaper.
    I'm my experience, high quality products end up being cheaper due to their longer lifespan.

How much time are you spending in a chair? Ergonomics are very important, it directly affects your wellbeing.
    (My NeueChair got 12 years warranty, if that's its lifespan then ~55usd per year)
    The Epic Store is amazing, I've been able to save so much money by not buying their games.

I agree with that to a point, but I strongly suspect there's one of the many variations that'll suite my needs and not fail-1-day-after-default-warranty me for <200.

Also you have a 12 year warranty with a company that's existed all of 5. NeueChair's top FAQ and About Us can't help but immediately address this as the most common talking point

I have a height-adjustable desk from Ikea which works fine for me (200, manual adjustment).

In terms of your immunity to bad chairs: you are not immune to them, it's just that you'll have problems starting in 10 years instead of now. You'll need to spend at least around 200 for a used professional office chair (I recommend a second hand Steelcase Leap v2) or one of the upmarket Ikea things (fellow failers can recommend).

Office chairs are tools of oppression of the proletariat.

Low height desk with a light recliner like one of ikea's is the shit. Bonus points for rocking.

I'll admit I got a laugh at "active seating" AKA incomplete chairs when I found them. And there's always the kneeling (to-your-corp/machine-overlords) option to avoid. But I'm trying to find a setup that'll let me test the standing approach.

Gerome, do you find yourself standing for >40% of the time? Do you have a mat, or just slippers/shoes, or rather flat/hard floor? Did you have any previous issues that drove your adoption, if you don't mind me asking?

Not 40%, maybe up to 25% but it very much depends on what I am doing. I know people who have switched to standing only though, so results vary.

No special floor anything - the desk is in a carpeted room.

No health issues but since I spend a lot of time of my life in front of a computer I make conscious efforts to have things adjusted, have proper furniture, take breaks from sitting in regular intervals, do some back exercises etc. I do not use the standing option of my desk for as long as you are looking for, but I still absolutely recommend it to anyone who can afford it in order to break up time sitting in front of a PC.

I have had a powered sit/stand desk for about two years at work. It was fun to start with but over time I used the stand up feature less and less. The problem is to get the screen at a comfortable height while standing as the correct distance from desk to screen is different if you sit or stand.

A few weeks ago I gave up on it once and for all and moved back to a regular desk.

We do have some cheap and shit chairs but once I unscrewed the arm rests I can at last sit at the correct height.

At home I have a refubed Aeron chair and it is the best thing ever. We used to have them at work as well but due to H&S as the warranty had expired they had to be scrapped.
    How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.

A buddy of mine at work got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Adjustab...dp/B0784HWPN6/

along with an attachment for the laptop dock on the side. He's pretty happy with it, but he also really needs a standing desk for heart reasons.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

The IKEA one is a bit wobbly for my tastes. Went for a fully jarvis because p much everyone in the office has one at home even though its outside our home office equipment budget. Did not disappoint.

Pop down to your local blue box and try it though. You might not mind and they are mega cheap.

I don't bother with a chair when I stand.

Bonus feature: my saved standing height is perfect to place my second monitor in front of my office wattbike.

Fuck my life, I get the new chair and 2 arms today, to be certain what height & frame-clamp specs the new desk would want to have, get everything set up & cable-tidied... and the older of the 2 monitors won't fucking turn back on (8 years life ain't bad though). That'll blow the budget.

Imo standing desks are the new bullshit after "eat a salad". If you're fat, hit the fucking gym, standing in front of your desk will only give you varices and other issues. Just standing when trying to do work is pants on head retarded and it does fuck all for productivity when your legs start to hurt like a bitch and your back will be yelling for respite because you're still a fat fuck standing instead of sitting.

Sorry for the rant
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Imo standing desks are the new bullshit after "eat a salad". If you're fat, hit the fucking gym, standing in front of your desk will only give you varices and other issues. Just standing when trying to do work is pants on head retarded and it does fuck all for productivity when your legs start to hurt like a bitch and your back will be yelling for respite because you're still a fat fuck standing instead of sitting.

Sorry for the rant
    erm you what

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Fuck my life, I get the new chair and 2 arms today, to be certain what height & frame-clamp specs the new desk would want to have, get everything set up & cable-tidied... and the older of the 2 monitors won't fucking turn back on (8 years life ain't bad though). That'll blow the budget.
    send that shit chair back and go to https://www.2ndhnd.com/collections/black-friday and get something decent.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

Sorry for the rant
    erm you what
    "sit the fuck down, fatty"

Sorry for the rant
    erm you what
    I didn't imply Daneel was fat, was a general rant about standing desks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Sorry for the rant
    erm you what
    I didn't imply Daneel was fat, was a general rant about standing desks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    best anti fatigue mat for work-standing ever

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

Sorry for the rant
    erm you what
    "sit the fuck down, fatty"
    Standing is not for fat loss though innit.

Better for posture, possibly core strength - but youd have to be really slack dirtbag for that.