hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Half-Life: Alyx

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Having to teleport about to avoid the inherent shitness of VR motion sickness kinda makes this look like a "nah" from me. Standing still shooting gameplay. Meh

Looks pretty though
    You don't though.

Plenty of people don't really suffer from it, it's individual and also how used to VR you are.

Either way it's an option in the game as shown later in the video.

[edit] Just saw your edit.

Remember you also can move around a bit by just moving around your room on top of the usual, so moving while shooting is fine really. Just dont play in a tiny room which is the real issue.

Ah cracking I'll just get right on buying a bigger house then

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Offcourse. It is all about priorities

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Offcourse. It is all about priorities
    which is the real issue.
    indeed

either way moving around a little bit in place to take cover etc at least doesnt require a huge room and its a grand time

eveyrone should try superhot in vr this reminds me

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Aaaaand it's out. And it's fantastic. Such beautiful environments, and you only spend seconds in most of them as you push on.

Room size isn't an issue, on the "easier" movement modes you barely move. You do rummage around in stuff around you so the Steam minimum of 2x2m is indeed used, but you don't need more than that.

Yeah im convinced tbh, even just watching playthrough in non vr. Looks good. Valve are still game devs? Who knew!

I would be interested in hearing how people find the game with different VR headsets - i presume the Steam one will be great, but of course feel free to confirmbrag.

I am asking because I was thinking of getting an Oculus Quest at some point, or something in that type of price range.

i take it back, ~Cant rip open the water flavour nutrient rations. Unplayable

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    i presume the Steam one will be great, but of course feel free to confirmbrag.
    Happy to oblige! Obviously the Index is fantastic for this game, as it's basically what the game has been designed for. High resolution is great and high vertical FOV is great specifically for this game. One thing that struck me is that the audio is noticeably better than in some other games. The Index "earspeakers" are better than most other VR headsets, but still not as good as a high quality pair of headphones. But in this game they seem to have equalized specifically for the Index, as bass is more pronounced than in other games for example. Or they want it to sound this bassy on all headsets, works for me too.

But the real heroes are the knuckle controllers. Pushing buttons with one finger, picking up stuff by just grabbing it with your hand, then letting it go above your shoulder, catching stuff in mid-air, grabbing and turning doorknobs, slapping locker doors open and closed, interacting with physics puzzles with a few fingers, the list goes on and on. I don't think there is any other controller on the market that comes close to the level of immersion you get with these controllers. And the hand models are really great too, seeing how they align with your actual hands and individual fingers is amazing.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Hmmm quest hand tracking if improved could be great for it

Sent from my butt phone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

So this seems like the appropriate thread for some VR hardware discussion. There is currently an offer on the local online shop for a Vive Cosmos at $600, which, considering the terrible exchange rate for the tovarisch norwegian petro dollar is pretty decent as it was previously retailing for $850. Valve Indexes cannot be had locally, and what with all the virus humbug, I'm not sure I'm going to bother. Other options exists, but mainly buying second hand since most retailers are out of stock and being replenished in June (if ever, who knows).

Anyone tried the Cosmos? Not the Elite, the first version. I've read fair amounts about it, and most of the tracking issues are claimed to be fixed, but who knows. Are there other options I should look into? The Vive Pro seems excessive and mostly business oriented. Also don't really have room for a bazillion base stations. Would love the Index, but would also want a headset this side of Christmas.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Really want this but don't think it's very viable without touch controllers?

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Really want this but don't think it's very viable without touch controllers?
    It's made to work on p much any VR headset. If you don't have the Index controllers you'll just have to hold a button to grab stuff, not a huge deal-breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    So this seems like the appropriate thread for some VR hardware discussion. There is currently an offer on the local online shop for a Vive Cosmos at $600, which, considering the terrible exchange rate for the tovarisch norwegian petro dollar is pretty decent as it was previously retailing for $850. Valve Indexes cannot be had locally, and what with all the virus humbug, I'm not sure I'm going to bother. Other options exists, but mainly buying second hand since most retailers are out of stock and being replenished in June (if ever, who knows).

Anyone tried the Cosmos? Not the Elite, the first version. I've read fair amounts about it, and most of the tracking issues are claimed to be fixed, but who knows. Are there other options I should look into? The Vive Pro seems excessive and mostly business oriented. Also don't really have room for a bazillion base stations. Would love the Index, but would also want a headset this side of Christmas.
    Vive Cosmos seems decent, and I think they've added a SteamVR tracking faceplate add-on?

That said the Quest's PC-streaming capability and wireless design are kind of cool, if you don't mind Mark Zuckerberg watching you fap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Vive Cosmos seems decent, and I think they've added a SteamVR tracking faceplate add-on?

That said the Quest's PC-streaming capability and wireless design are kind of cool, if you don't mind Mark Zuckerberg watching you fap.
    Yeah, that's the faceplate from the Vive Cosmos Elite, which is another $200. Ye olde norwegian crown has tanked towards the petrodollar because of various things so the Vive Cosmos is priced at around $850 and the Elite is ish $1200 which is approaching silly levels. Valve doesn't sell Index hereabouts, but it's available on the local Craigslist for $16-1850 which seems a steal... I kinda want VR, but not that much.

Yeah, that's the faceplate from the Vive Cosmos Elite, which is another $200. Ye olde norwegian crown has tanked towards the petrodollar because of various things so the Vive Cosmos is priced at around $850 and the Elite is ish $1200 which is approaching silly levels. Valve doesn't sell Index hereabouts, but it's available on the local Craigslist for $16-1850 which seems a steal... I kinda want VR, but not that much.
    Index is nice, but no, it's not worth that price.

If they've fixed the tracking problems (as much as is possible with the limitations of camera-based tracking), I say go for the Cosmos, unless you're okay with the Oculus ecosystem, then get a Quest. There are some good WMR headsets out there, but the controllers are still lacking. Quest and Cosmos may as well have the same controllers, which are way ahead of the original Vive wands.

And honestly Index controllers are not all they're cracked up to be. They are great controllers in and of themselves, but a lot of games don't take their unique shape and the fact that they're strapped to your hand into account when positioning your in-game hands, or items you're carrying. Tons of titles where your hands are at incredibly weird angles, or where if you try to two-hand a gun it goes all wonky.

If they've fixed the tracking problems (as much as is possible with the limitations of camera-based tracking), I say go for the Cosmos, unless you're okay with the Oculus ecosystem, then get a Quest. There are some good WMR headsets out there, but the controllers are still lacking. Quest and Cosmos may as well have the same controllers, which are way ahead of the original Vive wands.

And honestly Index controllers are not all they're cracked up to be. They are great controllers in and of themselves, but a lot of games don't take their unique shape and the fact that they're strapped to your hand into account when positioning your in-game hands, or items you're carrying. Tons of titles where your hands are at incredibly weird angles, or where if you try to two-hand a gun it goes all wonky.
    A Rift S seems the sensible choice price-wise, but I'm not convinced about the specs. The Quest seems a bit better, and is somewhat reasonably priced. Though that is tied to the Occulus Store, so no Alyx natively. You either need a link cable or via Virtual Desktop which by the looks of it is a hassle.

A Rift S seems the sensible choice price-wise, but I'm not convinced about the specs. The Quest seems a bit better, and is somewhat reasonably priced. Though that is tied to the Occulus Store, so no Alyx natively. You either need a link cable or via Virtual Desktop which by the looks of it is a hassle.
    The Quest has all-around superior specs to the Rift S. And link cable is the way to go; no more of a hassle than any other wired VR headset. Virtual Desktop just isn't fast enough. Think of the Quest as an optionally-wired headset if you're a PC gamer.

As far as I can tell the Quest's only real shortcoming is that it's made and sold by Facebook. I'd have bought one ages ago if literally anyone else made the thing.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; April 4 2020 at 09:43:23 PM.

Yeah, the hassle about the Quest is getting the link cable which seems hard to come by. It's also got a "built-in" headset, which means a speaker basically. This is a no-go in with kids sleeping next to my gaming room (headcrabs + sleeping kids.. ). Occulus is out for a number of reasons. So currently looking at either a Cosmos or waiting. Not that many games I want for VR, so I guess boils down to a "not worth it" kinda thing.

Oh wow the link cable is selling for 3x retail on Amazon, hah. It was a new product right when the virus hit, so no wonder it's hard to come by.

(Quest also supports plugged-in or bluetooth headphones btw.)